shape
carat
color
clarity

Q about lightbox 1 carat diamond

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
Hi
was looking at their Instagram page and someone commented that the 1 carat does not have girdle faceting .
not sure if this is true ? any Thoughts ?
must confess I really do not know much about the cuts

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi
was looking at their Instagram page and someone commented that the 1 carat does not have girdle faceting .
not sure if this is true ? any Thoughts ?
must confess I really do not know much about the cuts

I'm not sure what difference it would make having a faceted girdle or not?

IIRC Yoram cuts his vintage stones to incorporate the effects of a girdle, but they are a very small 'facet' amongst the 57+ other ones in a MRB.

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
I really didn't understand what it meant . Like I said I really don't know too much about the cuts and I just noticed this comment and I wasn't sure what it meant or it's relevance .
Thanks

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert... but I think it's a minor issue (if it's an issue at all) :)

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
First, two disclaimers: I am not a pro and I don’t have a 1ct lightbox diamond to loupe or give feedback on.

It’s my understanding that diamond girdles can be finished in three ways: bruted (rough/frosty in appearance), polished (shiny and smooth all the way around), or faceted (small facets polished all the way around). GIA only considers thickness of the girdle, not the finish style. Bruted girdles used to be the standard and are common on older diamonds, but if too aggressive a bruted girdle can cause bearding (small chips/feathers/damage coming from the top and bottom of the girdle). Faceted is now the standard in 1ct+ stones because, from what I can gather, it’s a more professional finish than leaving it rough. Some people feel faceted is better for performance, others feel that a polished girdle can reflect color back into the diamond for warmer stones.

It seems like the kind of thing some people have strong opinions about, but that most don’t even notice. I’m not sure how much it truly impacts performance, that’s probably subjective. Considering the price of LB, lack of faceting on the girdle (if it is indeed not faceted, I don’t have a 1ct stone so I can’t speak to the finishing) is a non issue for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results