shape
carat
color
clarity

Q&A with Al Gilbertson, GIA Researcher and Author

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Join us for our second installment of Q&A with the Trade featuring Al Gilbertson, Research Associate at the Gemological Institute of America.

Many thanks to Mr. Gilbertson for his participation and in-depth responses.

Please click on the link below for the interview.
https://www.pricescope.com/blog/qa-al-gilbertson-gia-research

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, coatimundi. This is of interest to me also because I met Al Gilbertson in the late 1990's when he lived in Oregon. 8-)

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A wonderful article which provides extensive insight into Al's background. I love how his passion for the gems and his lifetime journey through the industry comes across as a reader! Everybody should take the time to read this article, I love the consumer tips and advice for getting into the trade!

Good job Coatimundi and Congratulations to Al for being featured so exquisitely...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good council from Al was instrumental in my decision to jump full time into appraising and to pursue the ICGA credential at AGS membership. I want to be Al Gilberston when I grow up (well, actually I want Martin Rapaport's job and I don't want to grow up at all, but Al is a marvelous example of what an appraiser should be like. He's one of the guys who set the bar).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
"He is also the author of American Cut: First 100 Years, which outlines the history of diamond cutting in America."

Ya'll need to read this. Fascinating book. Fascinating & brilliant guy.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can't say enough about Al Gilbertson. Over the years I have had the great opportunity to get to know him personally and love the man dearly. I respect him and his work immensely. His wisdom is profound and while very educated on diamonds and diamond optics (pioneered the technologies we discuss and use frequently today) his simplistic and practical approach speaks volumes. When one takes into account all that has transpired today with cut grading in both GIA's and AGS's systems (the best we have), this guy is the mind who fused it all together. Most do not know it is his guidance and direction that has influenced the GIA cut grading system as it exists today and we have a lot to be thankful for with him at the helm as one of the prominent people of GIA's research team on diamond cut. If anyone has a sincere desire to learn more about diamonds his book linked above is an absolute must. I am honored to have him author the article on our site covering the history of reflector technology and look forward to any work he is doing and coming out with.

bridecat

Rough_Rock
I agree with the posters. In addition the excellence, quality and precision that Al shows is why I only buy GIA certified diamonds. I wouldn't invest in a diamond these days without one!

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Al's book about the history of diamond cutting gives a glimpse into the people that were passionate about diamonds in their day.
My favorite character is a Boston cutter named Henry Morse, who said in frustration with the poor cutting of his day (1870s) that "Shopping for a diamond by the carat weight is like buying a racehorse by the pound".
Great book Al, down the road, I feel certain, will be a chapter added about you and the great tools you have brought to the table.

Naitik

Rough_Rock
hey can u tell me which company is doing plasma etching that u mentioned?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results