shape
carat
color
clarity

Putting a jeweler on the defensive

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you come into a retail jewelry store and start with a lot of intimidation tactics concerning "Quality" and "Price", the jeweler will naturally have a negative reaction to you. Jewelers are scared of Internet savvy people who are shopping diligently for the right stone and the very best price. However, jewelers are a great source of knowledge and can offer you some services that are hard to duplicate via the internet.

I suggest you ask questions and attempt to interest the jeweler in creating a customer. If you succeed, the jeweler will give you a lot of assistance which could prove helpful to you. Don't eliminate a very valuable resource of knowledge from your quest in buying a diamond. Keeping it friendly will have many positive results.

The same may be said for dealing with Internet vendors, too. Maybe they are less intimidated by the modern style of shopping, but how can they help you if you claim to know it all? We have seen so much of this in recent weeks, that I thought a mention of it was appropriate. It is simply psychology to use a soft appraoch rather than a pushy one if you want to encourage a helpful discourse on your topic with an expert.

Good shopping!!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
You can always attract more flies with honey!
12.gif

I find using the dumb blonde approach works well for me. People love to help you, guide you, teach you. I always ask lots of questions too. People love to talk and it's innate to want to feel superior. If you don't show what you know, people will tell you what they do and do not know.
2.gif

Cassandra

Shiny_Rock
I always go in with a rather clueless attitude. I did one time have a jeweler jump on me when he was showing me their "new brand" of Satari (Sitara maybe?) diamonds. I asked him about Hearts and Arrows, and he got very indignant and said that their new brand was MUCH better.
2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree, Dave. Most people respond better if you're pleasant. There's no reason to alienate someone without good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results