shape
carat
color
clarity

Putting a halo around my grandma's bling!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
A few years ago my grandma (maternal) gave my mom her one-and-only diamond ring. The ring was given to her from my grandpa (who passed away a few years ago). Diamond rings weren't as popular in Asia back then (people were into colored gemstones and jades I assume) but my grandpa brought home a diamond ring one day when my mother was 9. My grandma was never really into jewelry so she rarely wore the ring except for special occasions. But we always thought it was sweet that my grandpa would buy my grandma a ring without the wife even asking (what a great husband!) :twirl:

The initial setting of the ring is too big for my mom (I think it's a size 7; she wears a size 5.25) and the platinum is dull. The setting is also an antique style setting which is hard to pull off when one is wearing mondern clothing. I am sure some of the girls here who appreciate antique rings would not agree with this :tongue:

Anyway long story short for Mother's day this year I told my mom I would chip in to get her a new setting. She started looking at halo rings because the old setting has a similar design except it's more of engravings on the platinum that "embraces" the center stone. I picked out a cushion-shaped halo with thin pave sides for her. We are getting the ring re-set this week. This is just a preview of the setting. I will post more pictures once I get the actual ring.

The center stone is a CZ and it's too big so it's lop-sided hahaha. Just dropped it in to see what it'll look like with a center stone.The actual stone will be a tad under 0.8 carats.

I am a big solitaire fan but this halo is really starting to grow on me. I know many gals here are into Leon's work so hopefully one day I can afford a LM piece for my mommy. But let me know what you think :))

Setting.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a wonderful idea! You are very sweet to contribute toward the new setting!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Should be a beautiful way to update the ring. . . I think it will be lovely!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker & MissGotRocks - Thank you for your generous comments!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovely :love:

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: yes! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this setting!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How beautiful! Can't wait to see it when it's done!

kimber418

Shiny_Rock
The setting is beautiful. Where did you find the setting? It looks gorgeous!

Can't wait to see the finished ring!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is very sweet of you. I think the setting is lovely. I hope you'll come back with more pictures!!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone! My mom is going back to my jeweler to get the ring set. I will try to post pictures ::)

Kimber418 - The setting is from my jeweler (not a large chain store). I think the quality is great (of course not nearly as great as Leon, Steve... etc). I looked really closely at the paves and they are good enough unless I use a magnifying glass or loupe. I like how the band is very thin and delicate. I also like the cushion-shape halo 8)

kimber418

Shiny_Rock
OCgirl,
Can't wait to see it! It is going to be a beauty!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful halo. What a touching story...thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results