shape
carat
color
clarity

Purplish pink "Mahenge" spinel in Princess Diana style ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this ring a long time and it has an alexandrite in it. I didn't care for the alex, so I had it removed and I put this spinel in it. It is 1.5 carats, and I had it for a long time, when the Mahenge spinels were a lot less expensive than they are today. It is a purplish pink and a pleasing color, but not the eye popping saturation of other Mahenges I've seen. I wanted to post it so that people would get a sense of how these purplish pinks look.

One photo is next to my trillion, which is a pinkish red, and much brighter. The other is a close-up. These spinels are going for ten times as much now, but honestly, I personally wouldn't pay that for a purplish pink. I simply do not think they're as saturated as pinkish reds and not really worth the prices that some vendors want, but I don't drive the market. They are very pretty however, and it is a nice stone.

TLpurplishpinkmahengecompare.JPG

TLpurplishpinkmahenge3.JPG

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Purplish pink "Mahenge" spinel in Princess Diana style r

Very pretty!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YOUR DIAMOND RING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

SHARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um. I love both spinels, and I think it is really nice to see the comparison, great idea !!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Herekittykitty!

ooo~Shiney!|1306202443|2928757 said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

YOUR DIAMOND RING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

SHARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um. I love both spinels, and I think it is really nice to see the comparison, great idea !!!!!

Thanks Shiney!!
I posted a pic in the eye candy thread. The camera just can't get all the colors correctly on it, but I love it. I wish I could post a video of it, because FCD's really are best appreciated with videos, unless you have the photographic genius of Kenny. There are pinks, greens, orangey yellows, yellows (with green fluor), orangy browns, champagnes, and small white diamonds in there. It's 8.35 cttw, and it weighs a ton.

I thought it would be nice to show the purplish pink spinel as a learning thing, as there were many people at this time considering Mahenges.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for sharing TL. I can really see the difference.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bright ice|1306204174|2928783 said:
Thanks for sharing TL. I can really see the difference.

Glad it helped. I've seen ones even more purplish than this, verging on rhodolite garnet territory, and I would never pay a lot for those. At least this one isn't super extinct. The rhodolite looking one I saw was very extinct, and in sunlight of all places where Mahenges really are supposed to look best, and it had weak fluor. This one has strong fluor. I took these photos on a partly cloudy day around 5:30 PM in my car. It's very pretty, especially in the sun, but I've seen this material in larger sizes go for thousands of dollars, and I know it's rare, but it just doesn't sway me to want to spend that much. Everyone is different however.

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock

What a gorgeous color. But I wouldn't expect any less from the connoisseur!!

Holy freak my freak.... Your diamond band is done!!!! Thread! Pics! uhhh please! :appl: :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Treenbean|1306206518|2928817 said:

Holy freak my freak.... Your diamond band is done!!!! Thread! Pics! uhhh please! :appl: :appl:

Thanks Treebean, not really a conoisseur (I don't have the millions of dollars), but I can dream, right?

Yes, maybe I'll post a thread on the diamond band, but it's super gaudy, I must warn you.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The spinel is a wonderful color and your ring is beautiful.

T

talamasca

Both are lovely and it's great to see colours like this together to compare and see the difference.

tzelin

Rough_Rock

TL|1306210998|2928862 said:
Treenbean|1306206518|2928817 said:

Thanks Treebean, not really a conoisseur (I don't have the millions of dollars), but I can dream, right?

Yes, maybe I'll post a thread on the diamond band, but it's super gaudy, I must warn you.

TL, do do do post a thread on the diamond band! It deserves it! I will love to see all angles of it! :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a very feminine setting and not quite what I'd think you normally wear. The stone suits it and I think it looks great on you. Not an eye popping stone as you said but neither is it average looking.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

It's very pretty!! Yes, it does remind me of Princess Di's ring, but with a pink spinel. What's the tcw of the diamonds?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Very nice stone and setting! The diamonds look clean, white, and sparkly. The stone is a color I prefer over the more pure pink/red spinels. I just love that little touch of purple!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is a beautiful ring. Of course, nothing compared to the pink-red close to it but nevetherless, a very nice stone...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awww, thanks everyone.

PR, I think the cttw of the diamonds is around 30 points. I bought the setting several years ago, so I am guesstimating at the diamond weight. So with that, I have one more mahenge to set. It's in the center of this cluster of spinels that I arranged like a flower. 1.5 carats and an AIGS pinkish red. They're all kind of smudged, sorry.

TLspinelflower.JPG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, it's beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results