shape
carat
color
clarity

Purple Spinel ~ Thank You, MB !!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
So, here is my thread regarding my Purple Spinel from Gemrite :sun:

First, a cameo post by minousbijoux, who bought the stone initially...
She can describe it far better than I

***************************************************************************************

Many of us buy from BB, and focus particularly on his spinels. I recently bought a few stones from John Burleyson and wanted to point out a particular stone he has:

http://gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=184

I bought this stone because it was one of those impulse buys, but it wasn't quite the color I was looking for (don't ask me what I was looking for because I don't really know; like I said it was an impulse purchase and I do not plan on buying any more purple spinels).

That said, I wanted to point out what I thought were remarkable features of this particular stone and urge anyone who is in the market for a purple spinel to consider this one. The color was slightly lighter or less saturated than his photo, but it really is pretty accurate. What the photo does not capture is the amazing luster and sparks given off by this stone. I have quite a few spinels and not one is such a show off. Its as if someone told this stone it had to be purple, but it keeps forgetting and showing its true colors. In any bright light condition, especially direct lighting, it has fabulous sparks and flashes of blue, red, pink and peach. It reminded me of a diamond or demantoid because of the sparks.

I looked at it, fell in love and knew I was going to keep it. I slept on it (no, it wasn't under my pillow :bigsmile: ), and realized I did not need another purple spinel, despite the great cutting, and that it would just sit in my gem tray. This stone needs to be set as a ring, as it will catch the light and put on its show at every movement of the hand. It needs to go to a good PS home!!!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I must have had a tropical drink in hand.... (*hellloooo, athena.. 8-) )

Anyway, I was able to buy the Spinel, and have been thoroughly mesmerized by it...
Hope you can enjoy some of my pictures

First know, this is a VERY VERY DIFFICULT stone to photograph...
It is, as MB said previously, extremely sparkly and that quality I can never catch on still photos...
It does have flashes of different colors all the time, and is an amazing purple color that is very very vibrant...

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I am putting these up in no particular order.
I took some today, some a few days ago.
No editing of photos, just perhaps an enlargement or two.
I see that PS is greying my photos a bit.... ah well...

5-29-11 125 (Large).JPG

5-21-11 005 (Large).JPG

5-21-11 018 (Large).JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
a few more

5-29-11 128 (Large).JPG

5-29-11 127 (Large).JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I thought this rose was pretty, so I used it as a prop :sun:
These are called "Knockout Roses" and they grow them all over the place around here...

5-29-11 154 (Large).JPG

5-29-11 153 (Large).JPG

5-29-11 131 (Large).JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Here are a couple more "front porch" pictures 8-)

5-28-11 073 (Large).JPG

5-23-11 045 (Large).JPG

5-23-11 044 (Large).JPG

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
A silly picture, sitting on a tea towel... not the most attractive perch I suppose !!!

That's it for now !! Thank you for indulging me :sun:

Oh, and before I forget, thanks to John Burleyson at Gemrite, he is a true pleasure to work with :love:

5-24-11 003 (Large).JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So glad it wasn't Milton Bradley!
Lovely stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I really like John's cutting. I had 2 stones from him (unfortunately one shattered during setting). The one that remains is gorgeous!

drillsgtsgem

Shiny_Rock
very pretty!!! :)

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Really pretty. I love that color. I too have some of his spinels they are lovely, with great cutting. Congrats on your new stone.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks VL : OMG !!! Candy Land ! Cootie ! BATTLESHIP !!!!! Growing up wouldn't be the same without Milton Bradley :))

Oh Noooo jstarfireb ! A stone shattered !!! UGH ! I am sorry that happened, but glad you have another pretty one ! Yes, I am really amazed at the cutting on this stone, John is very talented, and I think it's lovely!

drillsgtsgem : Thanks, I wish you could see it in real life, it's very sparkly ! I love love love your new pink beauty, too !!!!

Treebean: I thank you ! I do love the color, I never really thought I would buy a purple stone, I usually think they look too dark or too grey or too .... something, I don't know.... I never would have gone for it if it hadn't been for MB endorsement of it. :))

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That is a fantastic spinel. I love it and your pictures. The shades of purple are alluring. Thank you for sharing!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1306712879|2933348 said:
So glad it wasn't Milton Bradley!

:lol: :lol: Forgot all about them!

Shiney, it's so pretty! Love the cutting. And a good size too, not too small. Your photos win a prize as well!

--- Laurie

T

talamasca

Ooooo very pretty :love: and I think much nicer in your pics than the Vendors

What's the plan for it?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
That is so lovely! I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Your photos are great, too. Want to come over to my house and photograph my gemstones? :naughty:

Candice

Shiny_Rock
so pretty! I love how you've captured the blue and pink flashes this stone throws off!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, thanks Candice: It is sooo hard to get the color right, and the sparks !!!
This stone, and the garnet pair I posted, are my most difficult stones to photograph thus far, so I
am happy you like the pictures !

Aiofe: Seriously ? I would LOVE to come to your house and photograph a few gems !!!! Thus far, no
vendor in mind, but this one NEEDS a ring setting !!!!

talamasca : I thank you for your nice compliment !! It is very difficult to take a photo
as representative of what I actually see ~ I hope I set it in a ring one day :))

Jewel Freak : I don't know about a prize, there are MUCH better photogs around here than I am!!!!
I do agree, it's a nice size huh? 6.7 to 7 mm seems to be my sweet spot 8-)

mariedtiger : Thank you ! maybe you could help me with setting ideas !!! Your jewelry is amazing !

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what a gorgeous stone! I love the color and cut.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is Ah-Maze-Ing! Love love love!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love purple, love your stone!

cheers--Sharon

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, ooo-Shiney, your pictures are really phenomenal :love: :love: Thank you so much for reporting back. The interesting thing about seeing your pics is how purple it really is. Even if that is all that it was, i.e., a well cut purple spinel, it would be lovely but those sparks are amazing :love: :love: :love: He/she was flirting with you a bit in the last three pics you posted as he/she was showing us a bit of the peach and lavender sparkles (we need a little firework emoticon). Anyway, I feel responsible now because you have another project to do, but that won't stop me from tapping my foot in anticipation... :bigsmile: :lol:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi again:

I take it back - I can see the sparkles in every picture! great, pure blue flashes as well. :love: :love:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty purple! Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it!

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like a great stone - excellent color AND cut. That color purple is tough to find in a well cut spinel.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
WOW thanks y'all for checking out this thread !!!

colorluvr: Yes, I agree about the color purple, I feel like I had a good set of "eyes" helping me out here.... I never would have ventured into the "dark side" otherwise :lol:

stargurl78: Thank you. It is difficult for me to visualize my stones in rings, but I hope to set this one sooner rather than later :))

MB: It wouldn't be mine without you ~ and I love it. Thank you. It is everything you said about it, and more.
and the stone was REALLY difficult to photograph.....

canuk-gal: Thank you for the compliment !!!

athenaworth: Thank you ~ I am happy you think it's pretty! I can't wait to see your new ring project !!!!

laila619: That's nice of you to say, thanks!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shiney, Enjoy your new spinel, it's lovely!!

tzelin

Rough_Rock
The first picture is my favorite of the lot. I am really in love with the cut and the amazing color of that stone of yours!

p/s : Your knockout roses are really gorgeous, too! I have never seen them before!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
tzelin: Thanks !!! I like taking pictures with my windowsill plants ~ I have a couple little succulent dish gardens that I like because they take very little care !! The Knockout Roses are grown as landscape plants around here, I should really plant some in my garden :))

TL: Thank you for the nice compliment !! I am thinking white gold for the ring at this point ..... (?) maybe (?)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a nice 8 sided octagon, so it should fit in a four prong standard round setting if you don't want to go custom on it. Metal choice is a personal thing. I prefer purple spinels in yellow or rose gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results