carat
color
clarity

Purity stamp on earring - 826?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
409B0BD8-0D1D-490C-A6D5-470CA639A96C.jpeg

Does this mean it is a lower silver purity? I’ve never heard of/seen this before, and google is returning mixed results for answers. :confused:

Johnbt

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Pre-1972 Denmark?

www.goldenmoney.com/buy-silver-bullion-bars.php

"Silver Purity and Identification stamps

Below is a short list of a few different common grades of silver and where they are from:

999 ??? Pure silver (Bullion grade)
980 ??? Mexico (1930-1940)
958 ??? Britannia silver
950 - France (1st standard), Japan, U.S. (19th century), the Netherlands (before 1814), Switzerland, Italy, Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Mexico
947 - Russia (91 zolotnik)
925 - Sterling silver
916 - Finland, Russia (88 zolotnik), Latvia, Poland, Romania, Spain, Portugal
900 - US coin silver
835 - Germany, Austria, Portugal, Belgium, the Netherlands
830 - Scandinavia (older pieces), Portugal
826 - Denmark (1893 ??? 1972), Norway (before 1892)
800 - Germany (after 1884), France (2nd standard), the Netherlands (before 1814), Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Poland, Romania, Japan, Canada, Turkey, Egypt, Lebanon, Mexico

If silver item does not have one of the above stamps, nor "Sterling" or "Silver" imprinted, most likely it is not silver.
"

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing -

I have nothing to add, and it looks like Johnbt answered your question anyway, but...any chance you might like to turn your earrings over and take a photo? From all I can see of them - they look lovely! I really like ovals or circles hanging off hooks, so if you'd like to share - have at it! :))

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd just add that it is a purity mark. But, it may underrepresent the actual silver purity depending on the age of the piece, country of origin and fineness of the piece. In many countries, the would understamp the purity to a countries minimal acceptable level, even if it was actually higher. Makers had to pay a lot to get it it called officially "925" or Sterling silver with all the assay marks. Also, even historically people melted down and re-used silver. So, it was hard to be assured of the purity unless for the highest uses.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Johnbt I didn’t realize there were so many variations in silver purity! :read:

@mrs-b I don’t own the earrings, but I am eyeing them for possible purchase. I’ll let you know if I decided to buy them. :twisted2:

@rockysalamander That’s interesting that they would under-represent the metal purity like that. Learn something new every day! :read:

slothdaddy13420

Rough_Rock
What does "under-represent the metal purity" mean?

slothdaddy13420

Rough_Rock
Thank you @Johnbt I didn’t realize there were so many variations in silver purity! :read:

@mrs-b I don’t own the earrings, but I am eyeing them for possible purchase. I’ll let you know if I decided to buy them. :twisted2:

@rockysalamander That’s interesting that they would under-represent the metal purity like that. Learn something new every day! :read:

What does "under-represent metal purity" mean?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It actually says 925 (sterling silver, 925 per 1000 parts purity), it's just a fuzzy stamp.

You can see the 8 is actually a 9, the upper loop is bigger and the 6 is a 5, part of the upper bit forming the 5 is straight not rounded.

:cool2:

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results