shape
carat
color
clarity

Purging closet

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I'm a hoarder but I'm having a hard time purging my shoes. Shoes I haven't worn in years. I keep thinking what if I want them at some point in time. And I know that I won't. But what if???
I should mention they will be donated. And the ones in question are practically new. Does anyone else go through this? Any tips?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't hang onto stuff but if you haven't worn something in a year, chances are you are not going to. In another year, they may be totally out of style anyway. Does that help?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't hang onto stuff but if you haven't worn something in a year, chances are you are not going to. In another year, they may be totally out of style anyway. Does that help?
See. I think fashion is cyclical. That's part of my problem. But I also don't follow trends. So that's the other problem. I keep thinking that i bought them bc I liked them and I still think they are fabulous, just uncomfortable. I keep expecting my comfort tolerance to change.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I regularly purge, I donate to charity then I have room to buy more :lol:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep! Same here.

I have the added challenge of having sizes ranging from 6 to 18. I hate to get rid of my 16s because 15 pounds and I will be wearing them. Then the 12 to 14s same thing.
Plus DH and I have been in situations in life where the stuff we never wear was all we had left as everything else got so old it fell apart and we couldn't afford to replace.

Working on the closet here too.

Old sheets? The animal rescues need them.
Nice new clothes? Donate to auction for animal rescue!

It helps me. Maybe find something like that for your stuff. A cause you just can't not give stuff to.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally struggle with this too, but have been getting rid of lots of stuff lately, and I feel better when I do.

I'll be back with a documentary that you may find fascinating, or possibly not, but I think it helped me a little.

Anyway, as far as your shoes, I'd say that you deserve to wear only shoes that are comfortable for you.

And, you deserve to have a closet that is free of excess stuff. By removing those shoes that you are never going to wear, you are freeing up space and it'll be easier for you to find stuff in the future.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We must be soul sisters because this is me. :lol:
I have way too many shoes and a lot of them are high heals. I don't wear heals that often because they always seem to dressy yet I am crazy about them so I can't give them up (let's not forget how unmercifully uncomfortable they are).:eek2: I think I've donated two pairs of shoes in the last 4 years. :confused2:

I have a similar problem with cloths. I like it so I keep it but I know, logically, that I haven't worn it in ages. My closets are busting at the seams over here. o_O

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I will never ever keep uncomfortable shoes. I give them away to people that want them and can wear them. If I find no takers, they get donated to local charities.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timely thread for me.
Keen on hearing everyone's suggestions!
I've done a lot of purging, but most charities here don't accept clothes anymore. They told me they have more than enough, even so I had some really good stuff (or so I think..mid range designers like Marc Jacobs/ Tory Burch, some better).
So I had an open house before moving internationally where I put my best stuff out and gave my close (!!) friends bags to just take what they wanted. They loved it. Maybe an option?

For really uncomfortable shoes:Google ballerina feet. Made purging soooo easy.
A friend's tip. *not for the faint of heart*

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clutter loath is such a gut feeling, that I often do throw away things just because they are the +1 of some category; given away ... left behind ... If only such loss wound't be so delightful to cure ,-)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timely thread for me.
I've done a lot of purging, but most charities here don't accept clothes anymore. They told me they have more than enough, even so I had some really good stuff (or so I think..mid range designers like Marc Jacobs/ Tory Burch, some better).
So I had an open house before moving internationally where I put my best stuff out and gave my close (!!) friends bags to just take what they wanted. They loved it. Maybe an option?

I actually grew up next to a woman who did ballet for years and years. Though she didn't have open wounds or anything (it had been a few years since she last danced), her feet were wrecked. Point lends itself to some serious lifelong damage. :confused2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! This is me. I have lots of anxiety getting rid of stuff. Especially clothes and shoes LOL.

Fashion/Style *is* cyclical and I have worn things after 20 plus years that I didn't wear for decades and then all of a sudden wanted to wear it and did. And it looked good! Sooooo yeah it's a risk getting rid of stuff but ultimately it's probably the healthiest thing to do. I have regretted getting rid of some of my clothing and stuff but generally it is more of a relief than not and as Frank Sinatra said "Regrets I have a few but then again too few to mention..." so yes overall mainly relief vs regret and I have only missed a few pieces after getting rid of them.

My closets (and I have too many closets honestly it's embarrassing) are overflowing and difficult to peruse so I have to purge them again. And that is one of my next projects. Going through drawers and closets in our main home and cleaning them out and being tough so I can enjoy what I do have in my closets.

Plus I look at it as an opportunity to "shop in my closets" as many things I have forgotten I bought and have tags on it and deserve to be worn and enjoy so in reality this is an exciting opportunity to do that. And clean out the spaces for a more relaxed experience.

Good luck and happy cleansing!

Last edited:

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suffer with this ailment, too!
The rare occasions where I did go back and use something otherwise forgotten don't help.
We recently moved and I knew I HAD to do some purging. Actually, I should have done more, but....
One thing I did was set aside items that weren't being used and choose a certain number to be donated. I aimed for half or more. It did help. Keep the classic black shoes, donate the cute but no longer trendy blue. Things like that.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Timely thread for me.

The high school choir here does a textile drive. Things that are good enough go to charities for use. The rest gets shredded and sold to companies to use as recycled with money going to charities.

Sparkly2017

Rough_Rock
Decluttering is amazing but can be difficult. My DH recommended a book called "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondō where she says:

“The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.”

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used the Konmari (sp?) method too. If it brings joy keep. If not it goes. Even if it has the tags still attached. The joy it gave you was the joy you felt the day you bought it for a deal or some other reason. I have been purging a lot too and it feels so liberating.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Nala you are not alone. i do this with both clothes and shoes. My husband keeps threatening to take all the clothes I have hanging in the basement to Goodwill one day when I am out shopping.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Nala you are not alone. i do this with both clothes and shoes. My husband keeps threatening to take all the clothes I have hanging in the basement to Goodwill one day when I am out shopping.

Are we married to the same man !?!:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2::lol-2:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all of you for your replies! It's good to know I'm not alone. I started doing it and already feel better. I decided not to make any rash decisions. I'm only donating the shoes that are uncomfortable and that I haven't worn even once in the past two years. The rest, I reason, I will donate next year if I don 't wear them at all. So at least now I know that I'm on a 2 year deadline. Lol

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Decluttering is amazing but can be difficult. My DH recommended a book called "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondō where she says:

“The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.”

It's not so simple for me. Defining joy. Bc my gorgeous bronze heels still light up my face. Haven't worn them in 10 years. Wore them only once to a wedding. But I still smile when I think about how nice they will look if I ever choose to wear them again! So the joy is there, even tho the likelihood of me wearing them is not.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala You should keep those bronze shoes! They light up your face. That's joy! Keep them, If only to admire in your closet.
Sometimes I make a goodwill bag that I store in a closet or garage for a couple months before I part with it...when I am ready.
Glad you feel better about parting with some things. After all, they are only things right? =)2

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh you are so not alone here.

I recently got rid of 4 bags of clothes (including winter coats, boots and shoes). It was really hard as the stuff was in great shape and very good quality, but I wasn't wearing it.

The stuff was weighing me down emotionally. Once the bags were officially gone, it became addictive to keep purging. I'm going thru the whole house and let me tell ya, it feels great.

Just go for it nala, I think you'll like how you feel without all the stuff. Worst case scenario? You need those bronze heels in 2 years? Go shopping and get some bronze heels, or wear that serviceable black pair that you did hang on to.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't done this since I moved and I sorely need to.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to attach sentimental value to things as well. I totally get what you mean and struggle getting rid of things. I'm moving soon and recently started going through bins that have been sealed for FIVE years. :roll I am trying to not hesitate and put clothes that do not fit or I no longer like in bags to donate. I would love to be a minimalist but that's probably never going to happen.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Another +1 for the Konmari method/The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I had a TON of clothes, shoes, bags, etc. in various sizes after having my son.

A thing that helped me from the book was the idea that things are meant to be actively enjoyed. That can happen in the instance of giving (e.g., don't feel bad donating a gift someone gave you because the joy of that item was for them in giving it to you), in the moment of purchase, in current wear, or future use by someone else.

If I hadn't worn something in a long time and/or it didn't make me explicitly happy to hold it, I donated it. It "deserves" to make someone else happy! (Is it odd that personifying items really helps? Who wants to be locked away in a closet forever when they could be gracing someone else? :mrgreen2:)

Purging made such a big difference in my mood that my husband followed suit, and we've done most of the house now. It's quite freeing and calming, actually :sleep:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Purge day, here I come. Just took our old appliances to a family member. Her entire house is wall to wall, floor to ceiling junk. Every room. Can barely get through the living room and kitchen. No clear counters. Kids sleeping in the living room because they can't get to their beds through piles of clothes and shoes.

Must empty my house now. Then to help her as she is overwhelmed.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to attach sentimental value to things as well. I totally get what you mean and struggle getting rid of things. I'm moving soon and recently started going through bins that have been sealed for FIVE years. :roll I am trying to not hesitate and put clothes that do not fit or I no longer like in bags to donate. I would love to be a minimalist but that's probably never going to happen.

I found that when I was moving, it was slightly easier for most things. Things like boxes (and boxes!!!) of pictures were the hardest.

Oh and I dragged a bunch of boots....to Florida...that have faux fur on them. (Why did I need those again??)

My problem has been one mostly borne of time. And HIM. :roll2: He hates to get rid of anything. But man you would NOT believe the junk that came out of that house we had....it was shocking. (and he wanted to drag it all here!!)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Love that - I will have to add that to my reading list.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I was wondering when the idea of hoarding was going to be brought up, and when it was, it got me to thinking.

I really enjoy purging, and have since I was a kid. My father was a hoarder (among many other things but that's for another post), and my MIL is a really bad one. Maybe that's why I'm so supportive of purging? Probably.

P

PierreBear

I enjoy purging and keeping a minimalist life style but it is hard for me to throw something away. It's a different story if I know it's being donated or if I can give it to a friend.

If I see something in my close that hasn't been worn in awhile, I tell myself that I either have to wear it this month or it needs to go! Perhaps try this week/month to pair your unworn shoes with your outfit? Have fun with the process!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results