shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing my first loose stone online - help!

dcpayne

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I stumbled across Pricescope while gathering information on Gemstone Engagement rings. My thought is to purchase a loose stone and have it set locally at a jewlers. I do not know a lot about stones, so have been researching a lot.

I love the colour of morganite, but from what I understand about the stone should look for something more durable.

Pink is the tone I am drawn too, but I am not interested in anything too colourful or pink. I love peach, blush, orangey pink.

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to answer:

1. Can anyone provide recommendations on stones that are durable and light pink?

2. I have looked at the websites of the artists provided - is that the best way to purchase a loose stone?

3. Is anyone from Canada? That is where I reside. I wonder if it would be a problem shipping.

4. Any makers to really avoid and any to really look into? Barry at Artistic Coloured Stones seems to come up a lot.

I really appreciate any feedback. This is a wee bit overwhelming.

Many thanks,

Dena

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dcpayne|1450231480|3962074 said:
Hi everyone!

I stumbled across Pricescope while gathering information on Gemstone Engagement rings. My thought is to purchase a loose stone and have it set locally at a jewlers. I do not know a lot about stones, so have been researching a lot.

I love the colour of morganite, but from what I understand about the stone should look for something more durable.

Pink is the tone I am drawn too, but I am not interested in anything too colourful or pink. I love peach, blush, orangey pink.

I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to answer:

1. Can anyone provide recommendations on stones that are durable and light pink?

2. I have looked at the websites of the artists provided - is that the best way to purchase a loose stone?

3. Is anyone from Canada? That is where I reside. I wonder if it would be a problem shipping.

4. Any makers to really avoid and any to really look into? Barry at Artistic Coloured Stones seems to come up a lot.

I really appreciate any feedback. This is a wee bit overwhelming.

Many thanks,

Dena

Stones that are durable and come in light pink: if this is for everyday wear, eg. an engagement ring, then I would go with sapphire or spinel. Or pink diamond if your budget allows :naughty:

Re: vendors, I would recommend you go through the list of vendors on the pinned/sticky thread at the top of this forum.
If you want to buy Canadian, there are a couple of lapidaries in Canada who spring to mind -- Lisa Elser (http://www.lisaelser.com/index.html) whose work is in the Smithsonian (!) and also another precision cutter, Christiane Morin (you can see an example of her work at http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/stunning-3ct-plus-pink-orange-brazilian-tourmaline-precision-cut).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1450233457|3962085 said:
Stones that are durable and come in light pink: if this is for everyday wear, eg. an engagement ring, then I would go with sapphire or spinel. Or pink diamond if your budget allows :naughty:

Re: vendors, I would recommend you go through the list of vendors on the pinned/sticky thread at the top of this forum.
If you want to buy Canadian, there are a couple of lapidaries in Canada who spring to mind -- Lisa Elser (http://www.lisaelser.com/index.html) whose work is in the Smithsonian (!) and also another precision cutter, Christiane Morin (you can see an example of her work at http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/stunning-3ct-plus-pink-orange-brazilian-tourmaline-precision-cut).

Ditto Mochiko's advice.
1. Light pink sapphire or light pink spinel. Pink FCDs are very expensive.
2, 3 and 4. Lisa Elser and Christiane Morin are highly recommended.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Gemfix ships to Canada as long as the purchase price is under $1000. That rules out a bunch of stones. :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results