shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing a diamond internationally.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Has anyone purchased a diamond from another country and set it in jewellery in the same country to save money?

Looking at having a diamond solitaire ring made, but just trying to save money on customs & duty taxes. Diamond is in US, I’m located in Australia.

— also, any suggestions for great quality, reasonably priced jewellers for a custom ring in Australia?

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Your thought of saving a bit is much understood, but you may want to consider the risk or insurance for setting the stone by someone else~

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
I'd be really interested how it works in the USA-Gernany (Europe) combination. I saw so many pretty diamonds on US sites but 19% VAT in Germany plus customs makes me wanna look the other way...:)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone purchased a diamond from another country and set it in jewellery in the same country to save money?

Looking at having a diamond solitaire ring made, but just trying to save money on customs & duty taxes. Diamond is in US, I’m located in Australia.

— also, any suggestions for great quality, reasonably priced jewellers for a custom ring in Australia?

Purchased diamonds in Israel. Having them set in a bespoke band, here, in the US.

Kalliope

Shiny_Rock
I'd be really interested how it works in the USA-Gernany (Europe) combination. I saw so many pretty diamonds on US sites but 19% VAT in Germany plus customs makes me wanna look the other way...:)
Hey fellow European :))!

The diamond for my engagement ring was bought from Bluenile UK, and I had it set at a local jeweler.

As for my next purchase- I‘ll definitely buy from overseas (the ring setting as well) since you‘ll get best-value plus you can choose from a very wide range.

mumof2

Rough_Rock
Your thought of saving a bit is much understood, but you may want to consider the risk or insurance for setting the stone by someone else~

Thank you, I did wonder how it would go with risk, that has been the thing that has me questioning the idea though saving money where possible is also a bonus!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I did wonder how it would go with risk, that has been the thing that has me questioning the idea though saving money where possible is also a bonus!

Before you choose the jeweler to set your stone, meet with them, and ask if they will insure it for full or nearly full value.
My local jeweler is insuring my diamonds before they set them into a bespoke piece. That was established, up front.
If you do not have an established relationship with the jeweler you select, get it in writing.

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
Hey fellow European :))!

The diamond for my engagement ring was bought from Bluenile UK, and I had it set at a local jeweler.

As for my next purchase- I‘ll definitely buy from overseas (the ring setting as well) since you‘ll get best-value plus you can choose from a very wide range.

How did you deal with local taxes? I have looked at Whiteflash...But considering 19%. VAT plus customs, it did not look like such a good ideal. Sending it back in case of any problems also seemed like a headache. I don't know what we don't have better vendors in Europe.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did you deal with local taxes? I have looked at Whiteflash...But considering 19%. VAT plus customs, it did not look like such a good ideal. Sending it back in case of any problems also seemed like a headache. I don't know what we don't have better vendors in Europe.

What if you found your diamond in London?
Would that make a difference in your circumstance?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure how does it all work now after the Brexit.

I have no idea. Just thought it might be more beneficial if you stayed in the UK...but it may not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results