shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchasing 2.50 VS2 H ...Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

treasure_hunt2

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a 2.50 or slightly larger diamond for my engagement ring. I've narrowed the search down to a couple of diamonds and would lilke some unbiased advice. Also would like to know more about the Holloway Cut Analysis rating. Does a lower score mean better light return? I understand that if it's under 2 it's considered in the excellent range. If I'm comparing two diamonds that I'm considering purchasing, one with a 1.8 and the other 0.7...Does the one with the lower score mean that it will have better light return, fire, scintillation? With the information below, which is the better the diamond?

Here are the two stones I'm considering:

Diamond #1

2.50 carat weight
Ideal cut
H
VS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
HCA: 0.7 - Excellent
Grading Report: GIA
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 33
Pavilion Angle: 41
Crown Height: 14.5%
Measurements: 8.71 x 8.77 x 5.38
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Cutlet None
Price: $25,078

Diamond #2

2.55 Carat
Ideal Cut
H
VS2
Symmetry: Excellent
HCA: 1.4 - Excellent
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Crown Height: 13.5%
Measurements: 8.80 x 8.86 x 5.34mm
Flourescence: None
Girdle: Medium Faceted 3.5%
Cutlet: None
Price: $25,997

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 2:58:58 PM
Author:treasure_hunt2
I'm looking for a 2.50 or slightly larger diamond for my engagement ring. I've narrowed the search down to a couple of diamonds and would lilke some unbiased advice. Also would like to know more about the Holloway Cut Analysis rating. Does a lower score mean better light return? I understand that if it's under 2 it's considered in the excellent range. If I'm comparing two diamonds that I'm considering purchasing, one with a 1.8 and the other 0.7...Does the one with the lower score mean that it will have better light return, fire, scintillation? With the information below, which is the better the diamond?

Here are the two stones I'm considering:

Diamond #1

2.50 carat weight
Ideal cut
H
VS2
Symmetry: Very Good
HCA: 0.7 - Excellent
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 33
Crown Height: 14.5%
Measurements: 8.71 x 8.77 x 5.38
Fluorescence: None
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Cutlet None
Price: $25,078

Diamond #2

2.55 Carat
Ideal Cut
H
VS2
Symmetry: Excellent
HCA: 1.4 - Excellent
Depth: 60.5%
Table: 59%
Crown Angle: 33.5
Crown Height: 13.5%
Measurements: 8.80 x 8.86 x 5.34mm
Flourescence: None
Girdle: Medium Faceted 3.5%
Cutlet: None
Price: $25,997

Welcome!

Firstly no a lower HCA score does not mean better, the HCA is used as an elimination tool - not for selection. The aim is to score below 2 as a ' pass', then to evaluate using ASET or Idealscope images, a diamond scoring less than 2 may be worth further consideration but it doesn't mean it is necessarily going to be the best performer.

The diamonds you are looking at show promise, I prefer the first initially as the table is smaller than the second, can you get images such as ASET or Idealscope if these are for sale online? Some vendors can supply these on request. Or have you seen the diamonds in person?

Also GIA's highest cut grade is Excellent so the term Ideal Cut is probably vendor applied and is no guarantee of a well cut diamond.

More on HCA - http://www.diamond-cut.com.au/holloway_cut_adviser.htm

https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

treasure_hunt2

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei! This is such a great forum! I''ve been trying to learn as much as I can inorder to make an informed decision and have found this website to be the best out there!

Diamond #1 is on hold at Blue Nile for me. This is my first choice. I''ve requested a Sarin Report but they did not seem like they were willing to provide it saying that everything that I need should be on the GIA Report and that the Sarin report would only confuse me as a buyer. Is the ASET - Idealscope something that Blue Nile should be able to provide to me?

According to the GIA Reports both of these diamionds are graded as Excellent cut.

I liked Diamond #2 because of the measurements (bigger spread/look) but was getting mixed information about the table %. Regarding the table for an ideal/excellent cut, I should stay within 53-57% range...correct?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 4:17:02 PM
Author: treasure_hunt2
Thank you Lorelei! This is such a great forum! I''ve been trying to learn as much as I can inorder to make an informed decision and have found this website to be the best out there!

Diamond #1 is on hold at Blue Nile for me. This is my first choice. I''ve requested a Sarin Report but they did not seem like they were willing to provide it saying that everything that I need should be on the GIA Report and that the Sarin report would only confuse me as a buyer. Is the ASET - Idealscope something that Blue Nile should be able to provide to me?

According to the GIA Reports both of these diamionds are graded as Excellent cut.

I liked Diamond #2 because of the measurements (bigger spread/look) but was getting mixed information about the table %. Regarding the table for an ideal/excellent cut, I should stay within 53-57% range...correct?
You are very kind, thank you! The veteran Pricescope advisors work hard to try to keep RT a great place to learn and research, so that great feedback means a lot to us, thanks again!

Ok so if the diamond is with BN then more info won''t be possible as they won''t supply Sarin or IS or ASET, The latter are reflector images which are invaluable to tell us more about the light return or lack of, with a diamond.

GIA Excellent - need evaluating with care as some are better than others.

Table size - more important to me are the critical angles, these are what mainly drive the light return. A 59% table is fine, just that usually around here smaller are preferred ( 54- 57%) so it can be a matter of taste. The diamonds are both well cut by the look of it although I would really prefer images as above to evaluate each, but if both are with BN then that won''t be possible.

treasure_hunt2

Rough_Rock
What is the best way to obtain the IS - Asset images? I was planning on purchasing and taking it to an independent GIA appraiser but I''m not sure if he has an IS.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 4:34:02 PM
Author: treasure_hunt2
What is the best way to obtain the IS - Asset images? I was planning on purchasing and taking it to an independent GIA appraiser but I'm not sure if he has an IS.
You could try to find an independant appraiser in your area who is skilled in evaluating cut quality, he or she might have ASET or Idealscope they can use.

Try this tool, some of the listings are old though so should you find an appraiser in your area who does not specify if they have these tools, then it might pay to ask them.

http://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Alternatively you could buy an ASET scope from this link and you will have it for any future purchases!
11.gif

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

Chart you can use to interpret the images

http://www.ideal-scope.com/using_reference_chart_ASET.asp

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results