shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased Uncertified Lab-Grown - Advice Needed

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Hello PSers!

I believe this is the correct place to post, but please let me know if otherwise!

I have been a lurker for a few months since I began my search for an engagement ring, with my girlfriend involved from the start. We spent a lot of time browsing here and following vendors online, and then ultimately decided on designing our own ring along with sourcing the main stone (OEC) ourselves.

We went back and forth between a mined and lab-grown diamond and finally found a great deal on a lab-grown from a vendor known to the community here. We couldn't pass up the opportunity and pulled the trigger on a ~2ct stone for about $5k. They provided estimates of the specs but noted that it was not certified. We decided that from the pictures they provided and relative prices for similar LGD, it still seemed like a great deal. Our ring designer (well-known to PSers as well) has finished the design and we plan on sending him the stone next week.

I am hoping the community could help us with a couple of questions before our return policy is up at the end of next week (we receive the diamond in a few days).

- Because it's a loose stone, should we get it certified even if we are happy with the color and clarity? We are comfortable with the vendor but would love to hear your thoughts.

- What are the benefits of having it certified other than for insurance purposes / "peace of mind"?

- I understand we may need it certified to insure it, but would you personally insure it (for both setting insurance and then after it's placed in the ring)? est. value ~2k setting + ~$5k stone. Our designer asked us the insurance value of the stone which prompted this question.

I really appreciate you reading the post and welcome all thoughts and suggestions!

Thank you,
wolfy

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
So if it’s for insurance purposes only, if you’re using an insurer like Jewelers mutual, an appraisal on the ring should do. My experience was that JM replaced based on the insured value, but did not require specs to be the same for the replacement diamond. I can only speak to JM so if going with another insurance company, you may want to ask what their policy covers (value or replacement item only).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, regardless of whether I was going to buy insurance or not, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shelling out 5Gs based on "estimates of specs." But maybe I'd feel more at ease if I knew the name of the vendor; would you mind sharing that? Have you asked the diamond vendor if they are willing to send the diamond to a lab & relay the report to you before they send the stone on to you; which lab(s) do they prefer to use & what would be the respective costs and turnaround times of those labs?

If you don't get a lab report, what will the sales receipt and/or vendor appraisal look like, more particularly, what level of specificity will there be -- beyond the purchase price?

As for the question of immediate insurance, will you be able to simply shrug it off if the diamond is damaged or lost in transit to the ring designer-fabricator -- or while the stone is in their possession? Many jewelers do not have insurance that will cover loss or damage to "outside stones" (although I assume they offer insured shipping of the completed ring to you, I certainly hope so!)

Think you need at least that basic info before you decide to "self-insure" from the get-go ;))

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Was this diamond sold by one of the overseas vendors?

Playing devil's advocate: without a grading report and laser inscription, how do you know that the diamond shown to you in pictures and videos is represented accurately, or is the exact one that you'll be receiving?
That is the exact purpose of why laser inscribing is performed: to ultimately protect the paying customer.

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Well, regardless of whether I was going to buy insurance or not, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shelling out 5Gs based on "estimates of specs." But maybe I'd feel more at ease if I knew the name of the vendor; would you mind sharing that? Have you asked the diamond vendor if they are willing to send the diamond to a lab & relay the report to you before they send the stone on to you; which lab(s) do they prefer to use & what would be the respective costs and turnaround times of those labs?

If you don't get a lab report, what will the sales receipt and/or vendor appraisal look like, more particularly, what level of specificity will there be -- beyond the purchase price?

As for the question of immediate insurance, will you be able to simply shrug it off if the diamond is damaged or lost in transit to the ring designer-fabricator -- or while the stone is in their possession? Many jewelers do not have insurance that will cover loss or damage to "outside stones" (although I assume they offer insured shipping of the completed ring to you, I certainly hope so!)

Think you need at least that basic info before you decide to "self-insure" from the get-go ;))

Hi, Molly! Thank you for your reply.

The seller has a pretty good reputation on these forums. I'm not sure if I should post the name but will definitely send you a PM. I did ask why it wasn't sent to be certified and their response was: "usually the diamonds are cut in India and they certify it there, this one was cut in NYC."

In regards to the paperwork, I requested an invoice right before the weekend so will see what details, if any, they put on that. But to your point, my guess is it would just be a purchase price (and possibly dimensions/size?).

I suppose there are few people here that would be able to completely shrug it off. I suppose I would just need to make sure I have the necessary pieces for a company to be able to insure it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Molly! Thank you for your reply.

The seller has a pretty good reputation on these forums. I'm not sure if I should post the name but will definitely send you a PM. I did ask why it wasn't sent to be certified and their response was: "usually the diamonds are cut in India and they certify it there, this one was cut in NYC."

In regards to the paperwork, I requested an invoice right before the weekend so will see what details, if any, they put on that. But to your point, my guess is it would just be a purchase price (and possibly dimensions/size?).

I suppose there are few people here that would be able to completely shrug it off. I suppose I would just need to make sure I have the necessary pieces for a company to be able to insure it.

Hmmm. I retract my previous notion because now this sounds akin to a custom cut job by a very familiar vendor based in the NYC area!

Last edited:

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Was this diamond sold by one of the overseas vendors?

Playing devil's advocate: without a grading report and laser inscription, how do you know that the diamond shown to you in pictures and videos is represented accurately, or is the exact one that you'll be receiving?
That is the exact purpose of why laser inscribing is performed: to ultimately protect the paying customer.

Hello, Deja!

I can send you a PM of the vendor to see your thoughts. If it was an unfamiliar vendor or one without a decent following, I would be much more skeptical. Trust me, when I saw it wasn't certified, a lot of red flags went off. I suppose you're right, though, that there technically is no way to know other than comparing pictures to the diamond in person.

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Whoops! Did not realize you could no longer private message on PS. I have been reading too many old posts, hah! Would it be against any rules or simply normal decency to post the name of the vendor? Thank you!

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Just post the vendor name

Hi lovedogs,

It's Parks Fine Group.

I might as well share the listing: Instagram Post

We purchased just the stone (loose from the setting) and it is currently en route to us. We are primarily trying to decide if we should keep it, and then if we should send it to be certified.

Thank you, all!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi lovedogs,

It's Parks Fine Group.

We purchased just the stone (loose from the setting) and it is currently en route to us. We are primarily trying to decide if we should keep it, and then if we should send it to be certified.

Thank you, all!

Nice. You're golden. Looks stunning!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're good w Alex. And the stone is STUNNING. You can definitely get it certified for the sake of having the paperwork, but you dont *need* to when working w someone trustworthy like him

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Nice. You're golden. Looks stunning!

Thank you, Deja!

You're good w Alex. And the stone is STUNNING. You can definitely get it certified for the sake of having the paperwork, but you dont *need* to when working w someone trustworthy like him

Thanks, lovedogs!

I am also working with DK to create a custom setting (design is finalized), and I just need to send him the diamond once I receive it. I will keep you all updated on the process, or if I have any additional questions.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this stone is beautiful! Please come back to share more photos once it's set.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi lovedogs,

It's Parks Fine Group.

Thank you, all!
Oh, it looks to be a wonderful stone -- I can certainly see why you're looking forward to receiving it!!

Let me add this observation for future reference for anyone who receives the same "reason" from a vendor in NYC as why there is no lab report. This
* * * I did ask why it wasn't sent to be certified and their response was: "usually the diamonds are cut in India and they certify it there, this one was cut in NYC." ***
does not actually explain why there is no lab report. It's not as if the the only diamond labs are in India! GIA, IGI, and GCAL (the currently preferred labs for reports on man-made diamonds) all have labs in NYC's Diamond District or mere steps away. It's easy-peasy for, say, Alex/a member of his staff to take a diamond to and retrieve it from any one of the labs -- certainly far easier for a NYC vendor than the hassle and expense of shipping a stone to-from a lab that will have to be borne by an out-of-town consumer who'd like a lab report.

wolfy

Rough_Rock
Oh, it looks to be a wonderful stone -- I can certainly see why you're looking forward to receiving it!!

Let me add this observation for future reference for anyone who receives the same "reason" from a vendor in NYC as why there is no lab report. This

does not actually explain why there is no lab report. It's not as if the the only diamond labs are in India! GIA, IGI, and GCAL (the currently preferred labs for reports on man-made diamonds) all have labs in NYC's Diamond District or mere steps away. It's easy-peasy for, say, Alex/a member of his staff to take a diamond to and retrieve it from any one of the labs -- certainly far easier for a NYC vendor than the hassle and expense of shipping a stone to-from a lab that will have to be borne by an out-of-town consumer who'd like a lab report.

Totally understand! When I was told that reason, I wanted to know more but also didn’t want to push too much because I felt like it was a great deal for the diamond regardless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results