shape
carat
color
clarity

purchased and scared

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

datgirl

Rough_Rock
My fiance and I picked out my engagement ring together today and it''s paid for and now being sized. I noticed a line running horizontally through the middle of the stone and asked what it was. The saleslady told me it was where the diamond had been inscribed. You can''t see it from the top, only the side. Well I thought it was alright and we bought it for $1600 and it is 3/8 total carats (has 2 small baguettes on the sides) It''s color F and clarity VS2. So when I got home and researched a little bit I learned that inscriptions are made by a laser and not noticable, and NOT running through the center of the stone. Did I get ripped off? Could the line be caused by poor cutting or is it maybe a crack or a feather? I''m not sure if feathers are this big, it was pretty large. It looks noticeable to me when I hold it 7 or 8 inches away from my face. Should I ask to see it under a microscope? What do I look for if I do look at it under a microscope? Maybe we can tell them we changed our minds. Advice would be greatly appreciated. We cannot afford to buy a ring that won''t last. Also, do you know if Diamond.com is a reputable place to buy a ring? There is a setting on there I absolutely love.
Thank you so much, Allie
35.gif

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Hi Allison,
whether you buy over the internet or from a B&M, the advice here is to always use an independent appraiser when buying. An appraisal will confirm you got what you paid for and give you a valuation for your insurance. What you describe sounds fishy and should be looked at by an expert. Read this section https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp

You need to do the appraisal within your Jeweler''s return window.

Found one that is near you
Lois Bouchard
CG, GG, Master Valuer
Cary, NC
www.jewelry-appraisers.com
919-380-0265

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Is it a horizontal line at about halfway down the pavillion? If so, it sounds like it is a reflection of the girdle and it is normal. The girdle is where your diamond is inscribed, but the line would be there whether the girdle is inscribed or not.

You don't need an appraiser. Enjoy your stone!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Cary NC is about an hour and a half from Southern Pines so she may be better off trying to find someone closer. What shape diamond did you get? I have a pear shaped diamond and when I view the stone from the side I sometimes see a line too. I noticed it in my old smaller pear diamond too. I asked my jeweler what it was and he told me it was a reflection inside the stone. I don''t think you''d see a laser inscription as it is on the girdle of the diamond and you need a loupe to view it.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
It seems kind of strange that you would see the reflection of the inscription in a small diamond. If I caught you right, you said the total carat weight of the diamonds was 3/8 of a carat. So I am assuming there is a small round stone and two baguettes? Did you get a certificate with the ring? What is the diamond supposed to be inscribed with. It is rare that stores will take the time to inscribe diamonds under .25ct? If you are concerned, take it to an independent appraiser. The appraiser will be able to tell you what the mark is, and will also be able to give you a fair price for what the ring is worth. Assuming that there is a return window for your purchase, you can take it back if you have issues with it.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Does it look like this? If so, then it is just the girdle reflection and nothing to worry about!!

GirdleReflections33.jpg

datgirl

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for responding. It does look like the pictures and almost looked like a crack to me. Now I know it's not. My center stone is most of the weight of the 3/8 carat because the bageuttes are tiny and the center stone is round. Is it worth getting a small diamond like mine appraised? Does anyone know how much it costs or is it always different depending on the diamond size? I will try to find out by calling someone. I would hate to have to return the ring, but I do want to get what we paid for. The store has much higher prices on the rings than what they actually sell it for. I read on one of the links to watch out for this. My rings tag said $1616 and I thought that the sale was over and that's what my fiance paid but he said he got it for $1130. There were no sale signs up either time I was there. They were having the same sale 3 weeks ago when I went in to browse and the same lady told me it was ending that week. The saleslady did say that the reflection of the girdle was where the diamond was inscribed (obviously wrong) but she did not say what was inscribed on it or if we were getting a certificate or not. She told us the color F and clarity VS2 and said it was a good diamond to choose. She did write that info. on the receipt. I guess I have to wait until I get the ring. It will be sized by Tuesday then my fiance wants to officially propose so I don't know when he'll do that. He may be upset if I want to return it after he proposes with it. I should've asked more questions when I had the chance. I'll talk to you all soon, thanks again.
37.gif
Allie

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! They substantially lowered the cost of the ring...well, then i''d say you probably got what you paid for. Appraisal costs generally depend on how in-depth the appraisal is and the size of the ring being appraised. The price is increased, generally, when you have the setting appraised with it. The appraiser that I will be going through does not list prices for diamonds under .5 carats though, so I can''t really give you a ball-park price.

It is odd that the jeweler told you that the diamond was inscribed but didn''t provide any paperwork to go with it. Ask her when you go in to pick it up what it is inscribed with and if you can see it under the microscope. Obviously since your diamond is not certified, it will not come with paperwork. It is up to you with what you do, but if you love the ring, just wear it in good health and stop worrying!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results