shape
carat
color
clarity

purchase of pearl necklace from US vendor to australia help!

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
I have used WF and BG for diamond purchases to australia and there is a trade agreement so no other duties etc need to be paid for customs. Can anyone chime in for pearl necklace purchases from a US online vendor to Australia? I am starting to get a bit worried I will have a horrible huge customs tax to pay - can any Aussies on here help?
many thanks
D2b

Purranha

Rough_Rock
Re: purchase of pearl necklace from US vendor to australia h

Hi D2B - I'm not familiar with the tax issues, but I'm sure most of the main online vendors have some experiences selling internationally and particularly to Australia. I would suggest just ringing up one of them (or even online chat) to inquire. Good luck and keep us posted!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

I'm in Autralia and have never had to pay customs duty on any of my online jewellery/pearl purchases from the US or otherwise. I can't remember where I read this but I'm pretty sure there is a customs exemption for jewellery purchases although GST is payable on purchases over A$1k.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you everyone for your replies and hello to a fellow Aussie :wavey:
Ricezo - I am hoping you are right re pearls ( fingers crossed it is still this way ) - i have never had to pay anything extra for diamonds from the US due to our trade agreement.

Thanks all = will just have to wait and see what happens :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have to pay 10% GST on everything that is over $1000AUD be it pearls, diamonds any type of jewellery. If the vendor doesn't fill in the correct ASFTA forms you have to pay 15% which is the GST plus 5% duty as well. So either keep purchases under $740.00 USD or ask the vendors to fill in the correct forms. I have had issues twice with PP not filling in the correct forms and have had to pay the full amount of tax and duty, Kevin from P of J has always been wonderful and helpful and I have never had any issues from anything from him.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Arkieb

Just wanted to say that with diamonds from WF or BG I haven't had to pay any additional taxes as we have a trade agreement with the US regarding diamonds. There are a few threads on here re this. Not sure why you would have had to pay in the past??? The vendor has to fill out the correct paperwork and all is well. Hope it is Ok to post in this section, but wanted to reply re the diamond jewellery.
:wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/faq/australiaunited-states-free-trade-agreement.htm

Note the line that says;

"Although a product is duty free, other fees and taxes that may be payable such as Goods and Services Tax (GST) are not exempted by AUSFTA."

No generally I don't pay the duty unless the vendor in question fails to fill in the correct forms. But I have always had to pay the GST. Unless you have been under declaring everything, or it has been less than $1000AUD.

Diamonds, pearls etc are not GST exempt.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Arkieb is correct as far as I know. I've brought in pearls and other items...as long as it's under 1,000AUD then there is no GST/Duty charged. If it's more than that then it should be declared as such by the seller and you'll be informed of the fees to be paid . Just keep in mind the currency exchange .. the AUD doesn't go very far these days...today its 762 USD = 1,000AUD .

Also, like Arkieb, it's my understanding that GST should be paid on anything imported over $1000 regardless of what it is...

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade

katbran|1458706473|4009691 said:
Arkieb is correct as far as I know. I've brought in pearls and other items...as long as it's under 1,000AUD then there is no GST/Duty charged. If it's more than that then it should be declared as such by the seller and you'll be informed of the fees to be paid . Just keep in mind the currency exchange .. the AUD doesn't go very far these days...today its 762 USD = 1,000AUD .

Also, like Arkieb, it's my understanding that GST should be paid on anything imported over $1000 regardless of what it is...

woohoo...0.762...we're making a comeback :appl: ...I just paid off a USD invoice at 0.73 the other day... :doh: --- Anyway...getting to the point...
Just to add to the comment above...the ex rate on the day is not the ex rate you're likely to be buying at (unless you've got a USD account and then it doesn't matter anyway ;-) ) - - what you're going to get from the bank or your credit card company will be different to / less than what the actual ex rate is on the day, so you might want to check with your provider about what this difference will be as well so you don't get caught out.
Good luck

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Have you received your pearls yet D2B?

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock

I've never had to pay customs duty on any gemstones or jewellery I purchased online from overseas, either.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock

yes - have received them but don't have them. My husband has got the box and it is being put away for a surprise night he has planned......arhh... I can't believe i have to wait. Cant wait to see them IRL .... the anticipation ...:)

Will post once i have my necklace. :)

Wolfrott

Rough_Rock

Looking forward to seeing it! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results