shape
carat
color
clarity

Public transportation and the right to eat while taking it...yes or no?

Should food be banned on the subways/buses?

• Yes it is a quality of life issue and a public hazard eating and drinking on a crowded train

Votes: 28 62.2%
  • No live and let live and just rider beware...and who cares about trash on track delays

Votes: 17 37.8%

• Total voters

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I don't ride the MTA subway to commute, so obviously I don't have the right to an opinion. I'm bowing out of this conversation. Shouldn't have stuck my head in in the first place, but for lack of recent entertainment here I felt it was a good idea in the moment for me to express myself. I had other interests--to be transparent, I saw a shit-stirring thread and decided to participate and be the voic of dissent. My mistake. Where is Kenny???

Monnie thank you for coming back and sharing your motivation. I did feel it was sh*t stirring on a thread I didn't have any sh*t stirring motivations when starting but hey obviously it brought more than a few strong emotions from all sides. Of course you have the right to an opinion. Any opinion. I was just saying while you have the right to your opinion if one isn't riding the NYC subway system on a regular basis and dealing with the literal crap one deals with on a regular basis you might not "get" it. So yes of course comment away. I will also continue to speak freely and call out comments that are meant to inflame rather than discuss/debate etc. Cause I don't believe that just because someone doesn't agree with allowing eating meals on the subway in NYC they are people who lack compassion. That's what I took issue with. But either way I welcome your comments especially when we don't agree. It has been super boring here lately and thank goodness my life has been stressful lately (JK I could do without real life stress) or I might just be sleeping all the time.:lol:

LOL even our "esteemed" politicians who defend freedom of eating on the subways don't ride the subways. The hypocrisy of our politicians are overwhelming.

Hope we are OK Monnie. And yeah where the heck is Kenny. He's the King of the Sh** stirrers...no one stirs the crap like Kenny.:cheeky:

stir.gif~c200.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted yes, I would want to travel in clean surroundings with no trash delays. I don't think that is an unreasonable desire or makes me an elitist who doesn't care about people. Littering is very harmful to the environment and I am surprised by those people in this thread who aren't concerned at all about that.

Thanks for weighing in Junie. I agree completely.
Just this morning when going to the appointment with my doctor there a man was leaning against the car doors eating an egg sausage sandwich and dripping all over the floor. During the morning rush. He wasn't neat about it (and it would be challenging to be neat with this huge messy sandwich anyway even at a table with a plate but here he was on a crowded train eating while standing/leaning against the doors...wall to wall people literally) and food was dropping out of the breakfast sandwich on the floor. He was holding the sandwich with both hands but then kept touching the sandwich then the pole with one hand for better balance and then touching the sandwich again all while the train was crowded this morning. I wanted to snap a photo but it was so crowded I didn't think I could do it surreptitiously and well I didn't have the energy. It was 7AM. LOL.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, we are always good. No worries, except for Kenny. I really am starting to worry about him, and I miss him.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, we are always good. No worries, except for Kenny. I really am starting to worry about him, and I miss him.

Thanks Monnie. ((Hugs))). I know there are PSers who have his contact info but I also know he values privacy above everything so just hoping he is OK and that his loved ones are OK. Kenny we are thinking good thoughts for you.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see the issue being anything to do with rich/poor/civil liberties infringed, it's about people respecting other people. Unfortunately there are far too many people these days who think they can do whatever they like, whenever they like, and basically screw anyone else. They just don't care whether their actions impact on others.

It's bad enough on a packed tube on the London Underground when a perv is brushing up against you, without said perv holding a hot drink or greasy food!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I can see how much this issue upsets you, and yes the egg sandwich guy does sound a bit gross, but eating on the subway isn't going to change anytime soon and for the sake of your blood pressure, I think you're just going to have to accept it! It's such a waste of time to focus on what you can't change. Perhaps the subway is just getting to you a bit right now due to long exposure. Maybe you could take a subway-sabbatical and try the bus, walking, or treat yourself to a few more taxis for a while. I've spent so much of my life railing against things I can't change, while the perpetrator swans about in blissful ignorance. It really isn't worth it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's sweet of you Jambalaya to worry about my well being. Please don't worry on my behalf OK? Not about this issue at least LOL. I guess internet communication doesn't translate well especially if you don't know the person in real life. I love discussing and evaluating reasons behind why people feel the way they do and I always enjoy a lively debate. Thanks for participating.:cool2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see the issue being anything to do with rich/poor/civil liberties infringed, it's about people respecting other people. Unfortunately there are far too many people these days who think they can do whatever they like, whenever they like, and basically screw anyone else. They just don't care whether their actions impact on others.

It's bad enough on a packed tube on the London Underground when a perv is brushing up against you, without said perv holding a hot drink or greasy food!

Absolutely Austina. I agree completely. And this is at the heart of the matter. A lack of respect for others. And a sense of entitlement for some to do whatever they like, wherever they like, and all others be darned. Considerate and thoughtful behavior is sorely lacking.

A clear example of this on the subways can easily be found on any subway ride-when one tries to exit the subway many rush in without allowing the people on the train to exit first. I hope we can all agree here that before one enters the train car they should allow all those who want to exit a clear path before rushing on....

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the same here @missy, people pushing and shoving to get on before those exiting have a chance to get off. It's ridiculous, if people can't get off, there's no room for anyone else to get on!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
As a rider of the T (subway) for almost a decade to commute - I say live & let live. My only issue is with littering. You don't have to be eating to be a litterer. Most people I've seen eating on the way to work are seated, not disturbing anyone, and don't leave trash behind. My biggest pet peeve is standing there & then some empty cup/can rolls over & touches me... ewwwww - clean up after yourselves! Take your newspaper off the damn train when you get off... along with anything & everything else you brought on. It's not difficult. And in all honesty... the drunks pee in the train cars at night sometimes so someone eating is the least of my concerns. It's also why I always prefer to stand. Never know what was on the seat before you...

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just got on the red line in Chicago with @LAJennifer. No debris on the platform. The garbage bins are not overflowing, yet an attendant is going up and down the platform replacing the garbage bags. It's impressive how clean the platform is.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's sweet of you Jambalaya to worry about my well being. Please don't worry on my behalf OK? Not about this issue at least LOL. I guess internet communication doesn't translate well especially if you don't know the person in real life. I love discussing and evaluating reasons behind why people feel the way they do and I always enjoy a lively debate. Thanks for participating.:cool2:

Oh, sure, I know you simply like to discuss things. But if you go on the subway every day, or most days, a person could end up spending quite a lot of time being annoyed about the eaters if you mind them very much - and the way you wrote the poll seemed so - made me laugh! (You don't think this would count as sample contamination, perchance? :) )But if it doesn't get to you IRL and you just like to discuss the issue, then I won't need to feel concerned about your blood pressure anymore!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, sure, I know you simply like to discuss things. But if you go on the subway every day, or most days, a person could end up spending quite a lot of time being annoyed about the eaters if you mind them very much - and the way you wrote the poll seemed so - made me laugh! (You don't think this would count as sample contamination, perchance? :) )But if it doesn't get to you IRL and you just like to discuss the issue, then I won't need to feel concerned about your blood pressure anymore!

Jambalaya, Yes I assure you no worries. And I guess for all the venting I have done about the subway in this thread it might surprise you to learn I take it maybe twice a week LOLOL. I guess I just emote a lot.
:bigsmile::lol:

Just got on the red line in Chicago with @LAJennifer. No debris on the platform. The garbage bins are not overflowing, yet an attendant is going up and down the platform replacing the garbage bags. It's impressive how clean the platform is.

That is awesome Pinto. I am guessing they have a ban on food and drink? OK I just checked that out and it seems they do.

http://www.transitchicago.com/riding_cta/policies.aspx

Prohibited activities
Per CTA Ordinance #016-110 identifies activities that are not allowed on property owned, operated or maintained by the CTA.

• Littering
  • Smoking
  • Use of electronic cigarettes
  • Gambling
  • Peddling
  • Soliciting
  • Spitting
  • Graffiti
  • Loitering and trespassing
  • Skateboarding, rollerblading or use of hover- or "hubber-"boards
  • Possessing a weapon (except pepper spray)
  • Using or consuming drugs or alcohol
  • Playing radios or using other devices that make sound others may hear
  • Interfering with CTA service by tampering with equipment
  • Indecent exposure or sexual conduct
  • Drunken, disorderly or disruptive conduct
  • Obstructing stairs, corridors, platforms, stations or otherwise hindering access to public areas
  • Harassment or bullying
  • Possessing luggage or large personal items that block passenger exit or entry or that cannot be brought into a station or on to a CTA bus or train in one trip
  • Passing through, around or under a railroad grade crossing when the gate is closed or being opened or closed
  • Failure to follow a lawful direction or request from a CTA employee, representative or security agent or police

Additionally, please do not:

• Obstruct or hinder access to any public area
  • Eat or drink any food or beverage on board buses or trains (it is OK in stations, but be sure to dispose of trash properly)
  • Cross between train cars under any circumstances, unless directed to do so during an emergency
  • Post bills or distribute materials in the paid area of transit stations or on CTA vehicles
  • Perform music or other entertainment unless you have a valid permit and identification under the governing CTA ordinance and you do so within a designated performance area
  • Offer, accept or otherwise exchange farecards (such as giving someone else a card with a remaining, active transfer)

Violating any of these prohibitions may be subject to arrest or immediate removal from CTA property, fines, community service, court supervision and/or an order for restitution.

Just a nicer more civilized environment. And you can eat in the stations while waiting for the trains. That seems like a good compromise. For many reasons and one being you just cannot fit trash cans onto a subway car and too many people who eat on the trains won't bother carrying their trash out to the station after their ride.

Hope you and LAJennifer are having a wonderful time and have a blast tomorrow night!:wavey:

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I live in the D.C. area, taking Metro on a daily basis, and can safely say that many (many!) people either don't know about the no food/drink ban or don't care. To be fair, I don't think it's very well publicized and at least in the past, was not worded well (at one point, the verbage was that you could take a covered drink in, not that you could drink from it, but many people didn't realize that).

Part of the problem is that Metro stations for a long time had no trash cans due to safety concerns. And no one wants rats (though you do see them). The older metro trains were also carpeted, so a major food or drink spill could take the a car/train out of service for cleaning.

Personally, I think it's kind of gross to eat a meal on the subway- feels so dirty! But what bothers me more is when people treat it like their living room and back with their feet on the seats. I'm sure anyone who takes public transportation on a regular basis sees disgusting things- I've seen men in suits picking their nose and eating it, people using electric shavers, nail clipping- the list goes on and on.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids and I love NYC and broadway shows, but my budget is only so much. That usually means zip in on the White Plains line, get out at Grand Central, spend a little time in the city before 7:30 call, show, grab a sandwich at Grand Central, home.

We've eaten meals on the subway countless times and left not so much as a paper napkin behind. But you can't force people to be considerate which is the real issue. You have to care about your surroundings and how your actions affect others. Many don't. I don't know if it's just despondency or what, but it's too bad. You could try to implement a fine system, or make trash receptacles more readily available.

I'd love the money during a trip for a hotel and dinner at an ACTUAL RESTAURANT. Would absolutely make the trips so much better. But we eat where and when we can and make it work. Just have to be considerate!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK.....after looking at the photos of the woman chopping onions on the subway and the man with a full dinner table, I may have to conceded that Missy has a point! :lol:

I agree the overall issue is one of consideration. I can't believe people who litter. If I just dropped a cup and let it roll around, I'd fully expect another rider to call me out. Dropping your crap everywhere is just so antisocial.

I must have really good hearing or something, because my personal bugbear is people who don't mute their voices in public. Loud conversations, screaming like a banshee - it makes for a very noisy world and is just plain bad manners. Agree with Logan also about people using public spaces like their own living rooms, such as in Starbucks that have armchairs - bodies draped everywhere, legs splayed like a chicken about to be quartered, bare smelly feet propped up....yeuchh.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having spent time in several major cities with subway/metro systems (London, Paris, Seoul, New York, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Bangkok and Shanghai), I've taken my fair share of trains around the world. I can say that the ones that allow eating and drinking are always dirtier and not as well kept as those where food & drink is prohibited. It doesn't seem to merely a littering issue. It seems that people have less of a sense of awareness (tragedy of the commons perhaps?) and/or perhaps don't care as much about keeping the environment clean because it's already dirty or they figure someone else will make it dirty anyway? (just my hypothesis)

Here are photos from the trains and station here where eating isn't allowed.

20170721_224501.jpg 20170721_224426.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results