shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: USPS Registered Mail is NOT safe. It is NOT tracked, NOT signed for as it changes hands, and does NOT require signature for delivery

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent a package via USPS Registered Mail to someone else within the continental US.

I mailed it on the 13th.
The tracking still states that the last known update (the last time it was signed for) was September 15th.

I opened a case with USPS three days ago. The case was closed as “resolved” by the local post office, without delivery - in fact, without any update whatsoever.

I reopened the case yesterday morning.

Yesterday evening the recipient let me know they had received the package. They did NOT have to sign for it, it was just waiting for them when they got home.

I’m eternally thankful that I’d triple wrapped the thing - and that no porch theft took place.

Registered mail is supposed to be kept in a locked cage and signed for every time it changes hands. And no delivery without signature.

PSers beware. I’ll never use it again, it’s apparently both slow and unreliable.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
There seems to be a new process. Tracking number issued, No updates for days. Item appears in mailbox.
I think it was an Etsy seller who warned me about this.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, can you tell us what a good alternative is @yssie ? We've heard quite a few horror stories lately :cry2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I sent a package via USPS Registered Mail to someone else within the continental US.

I mailed it on the 13th.
The tracking still states that the last known update (the last time it was signed for) was September 15th.

I opened a case with USPS three days ago. The case was closed as “resolved” by the local post office, without delivery - in fact, without any update whatsoever.

I reopened the case yesterday morning.

Yesterday evening the recipient let me know they had received the package. They did NOT have to sign for it, it was just waiting for them when they got home.

I’m eternally thankful that I’d triple wrapped the thing - and that no porch theft took place.

Registered mail is supposed to be kept in a locked cage and signed for every time it changes hands. And no delivery without signature.

PSers beware. I’ll never use it again, it’s apparently both slow and unreliable.

This is so disheartening. And was this the eternity????!!!!. I thought that of all the services it was the only one that was the safest and fully insured. I recently sent a very valuable package to DK to get some repairs done and I used registered. Everything worked out fine, but your PSA really scares me. With the recent FedEx theft that we learned about from Dolly, it is like there are no alternatives for shipping anymore.

Eta - I hope you’re able to speak to an agent and complain fully!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cross posted this to Preloved, just a heads up here - I know most of us long-timers will see it there but our newcomers won't. But it's also going to fall off the front page of RT in about an hour probably!

@tyty333 I really don't know. It seems our only genuinely safe option is to have a vendor create a label, or go through an appraiser intermediary for everything. Honestly I think I'm done rehoming pricey pieces altogether, between taxes and shipping it's just too stressful.

lavenderdragonfly23

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for the heads up… note to self, when I find my dream oec/antique ring, I will be boarding a plane and getting it myself. For piece of mind, it may simply be worth the price of a flight for pricey items. Sigh.

I’m sooo happy everything turned out ok for you and the lucky buyer. Hugs!

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I own a business and receive high value packages on a regular basis and I have had this happen with USPS registered mail many times.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The Post Office stresses using their Priority Express Mail for items valued $5,000 or less. Most of the volume goes there if not in USPS or FedEx overnight delivery. Using Registered Mail is generally very safe, but it is as slow as the Pony Express. The tracking is not reliable, but I have only had a couple packages become lost in 50 years of using it. It is just underutilized now since it is so very slow. Private companies that offer excess insurance coverage on UPS and FedEx have helped the jewelry trade to replace most registered mail delivery. Back in the 196-'s and 7-'s, Registered was the way to go.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness! What a story yssie.
I was under the impression that registered mail is like sending something with armed guards. Guess not. :???:
Thanks for the heads up and a big PHEW! that your package arrived safely.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I use USPS registered service often. I've found them to be quite reliable but, of course, things happen.

Three responses on your comment: They ARE as slow as molasses, especially if either you or the sender/recipient are in a rural or low-volume place. Multiple weeks is not unusual. Secondly, the online tracking system is pure fiction. Really. It has nothing to do with where your packages is at any particular time. It's not even reliable to say when a package has been received or when it is delivered. Don't even waste your time looking at it. Lastly, they're are very snippy about packaging. No plastic tape, for example, and you have to stand on line at the post office. No blue box or even contract stations. You need it scanned by a real postal worker. The rules are on usps.gov if you want to look them up.

The problem with FedEx and UPS is that the insurance limits are low. FedEx is mostly $500 and UPS is mostly $1000 although both have complicated formulas. Both will work with 3rd part insurance carriers, which is why jewelers mostly ship this way, but it's complicated and expensive for consumers, which is why everyone recommends shipping with USPS.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I use USPS registered service often. I've found them to be quite reliable but, of course, things happen.

Three responses on your comment: They ARE as slow as molasses, especially if either you or the sender/recipient are in a rural or low-volume place. Multiple weeks is not unusual. Secondly, the online tracking system is pure fiction. Really. It has nothing to do with where your packages is at any particular time. It's not even reliable to say when a package has been received or when it is delivered. Don't even waste your time looking at it. Lastly, they're are very snippy about packaging. No plastic tape, for example, and you have to stand on line at the post office. No blue box or even contract stations. You need it scanned by a real postal worker. The rules are on usps.gov if you want to look them up.

The problem with FedEx and UPS is that the insurance limits are low. FedEx is mostly $500 and UPS is mostly $1000 although both have complicated formulas. Both will work with 3rd part insurance carriers, which is why jewelers mostly ship this way, but it's complicated and expensive for consumers, which is why everyone recommends shipping with USPS.

When I shipped registered to DK it was fast - I was really surprised. And they made me put their special tape on it. I also paid extra to get the signature form, returned to me, which proved that somebody signed it.

It sounds like they completely dropped the ball on @yssie ’s piece especially if it was just left on the porch.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I ship registered frequently. The problem and PSA is because they aren’t following the rules they themselves post on the website. Other people have told me USPS has recently been deviating from their stated Registered policies and procedures, but I hadn’t personally experienced it until now.

100% will neither use nor recommend again. Just leaving a Registered parcel on someone’s porch, someone who has not signed up for their electronic signature programme - it defies belief. And again, far from the first instance I’ve heard about lately :eek-2:

I paid the extra for a return receipt. Curious when/if I’ll ever get that.

Last edited:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes- the last time I sent something that I sold (not through consignment) was a 3.48 carat cushion through USPS registered... about 10 years ago. Luckily for me it got there even if the person it was supposed to be signed for did not sign for it but rather a front desk person.

I'm probably just going to go pick up pieces in person now or use Malca for shipping.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I ship high value paintings. My colleagues and I only use the company Ship & Insure. I can't recommend them highly enough. You have to belong to a trade org and you have to open an account with then. They specialize in high-value collectibles such as jewelry, coins, watches and artwork. They insure whatever you send out using FedEx or UPS. They also are aces when it comes to shipping internationally as they understand the customs codes and stuff better than anyone else. But the real value they bring to the table is that they know, personally, all the high ranking people at UPS, FedEx, and Customs in multiple countries. So when your package goes missing, or no updates for awhile, they get on the phone and actually speak with people in charge at those place (something you and I can't do) and get the problem resolved. They are worth their weight in gold. Seriously.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A return receipt from the US Post Office is pretty much worthless. Registered packages get signatures and you can get proof of delivery by signature at no cost. It never paid to get a signed slip for $3 or more and that was sent back to you like it was a post card. It had no value years ago, and is completely obsolete now. Those green signed slips got lost all the time. Electronic proof of delivery is adequate and sufficient to prove delivery was made or not. I have never gotten a registered mail package I didn't sign for. The Post Office may be looser than it once was, but Registered Mail remains a viable way for the public to ship with a lot of coverage. FInd yourself a roll of old fashioned Kraft paper tape and a fully sealed box if you want to ship that way. You generally cannot use pre-sticky tape, but it is supposed to be tape you wet to glue in place. Good luck in finding some.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FInd yourself a roll of old fashioned Kraft paper tape and a fully sealed box if you want to ship that way. You generally cannot use pre-sticky tape, but it is supposed to be tape you wet to glue in place. Good luck in finding some.
FWIW, I still use that old school brown paper tape for art.
Like an old-school envelops you have to wet the adhesive side to activate the adhesive.

I use it for painting watercolor on paper.
We first soak the 100% cotton paper; like with a sponge this makes the paper expand, a lot.
Then we tape the wet paper to a plywood board that has been varnished so it resists the water.
The next day the paper has dried, and shrunk to be tight as a drum.

This way paper doesn't swell and bubble up when we paint on it with a water based medium, like watercolor or gouache.

I buy mine at this very good art store.

Last edited:

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
We just had the same thing happen to us with a cell phone that was sent to AT&T.

No updates, nothing. Hubs went to the post office and it turns out it was sitting at a different location for over a week. Meanwhile he's on the phone with AT&T and everyone's trying to figure out what's going on.

Finally yesterday (almost two weeks to the day it was shipped via registered mail), AT&T got the phone.

We would have been out 1k had my hubs not pushed the issue.

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
When we were working for you, all outgoing Postal packages went via hand off at the Postal service counter. All incoming / registered packages came to our PO box. We had to sign for pickup. No packages were requested to be sent to our street address. It was time consuming but the mileage to and from Post Office was a tax write-off and the mystery was minimal.
There is nothing that compares to having to talk a recipient through a sideways delivery. The time we spent was actually a time-saver and very good for everyone's peace of mind.

PO Box for incoming mail for the win.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I've worked with Daniel M. on several pieces and everything goes to his P.O. box and comes from his post office, and he has great faith in the Marblehead Mass. postmaster. And even tho I had a diamond sit in Milwaukee for two weeks, shortening my life by much more than that, it has all worked out.
So far.

MWM

Rough_Rock
Trade
We worked, and developed a wonderful relationship, with the Concord, Mass post office for 40+ years. They were always there to help and offer support.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never really had an issue either, except for one delay of a week with registered. The item was stuck in CA. But I'm in a smaller MA town too. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results