shape
carat
color
clarity

PSA: If you''re a reader...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Treat yourself to a Sony eReader/eBook!!!

I am someone who loves reading, and can easily finish 2 "medium" (around 400 page) books in a week. So, when I **finally** learned about this wonderful technology, I was so excited!!

At first, I fell head first into the Oprah craze and ordered an Amazon Kindle. But, after a bit of research, and a long backorder period, and with the impending launch of the Kindle 2.0, I canceled my Kindle order...and bought myself a Sony eBook 505.

I absolutely
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
it!!!

First of all, it''s sleek and stylish, which was/is important to me. It comes in three colors (silver, red, and blue) I bought the blue and it''s a great color. The shade isn''t distracting to the eye at all, and is more of a purplish-blue that reminds me of a MAC eyeshadow color I used to have. The e-ink is totally easy on the eye as well, and I find myself reading for extended periods of time without finding my eyes getting tired at all!! The font size is also adjustable, so that lends itself to being usable by all age ranges. If you order it from Sony, you can in engraved (limited spacing stopped me from having mine engraved) to personalize it.

Unlike the Kindle, you cannot download books on the fly...but that option didn''t so much matter to me, as I think I could buy books ahead of time anyway. The Kindle had envo capibilities...but with a smartphone...how many ways to do you need to access the web anyway??? Kindle does charge $.10 per page document downloaded however...and Sony doesn''t...which is another bonus for me.

The price point for the eBook 505 is about $299.00 but, you get 100 free classic books if you order now. The newest eReader from Sony, which is touchscreen (I didn''t care for it) is $399.00.

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for this writeup Italia! That ebook looks awesome and like a great deal.
36.gif

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the review Italia.

Since the book selection is more limited than Amazon have you had any issues finding what you want to read? I know the Kindle doesn''t always have what I want sometimes.

One point for me in favor of the Kindle though is the fact that it does have newspapers and the textbooks I use for the class I''m taking. Also it appears books are on average a bit cheaper on the kindle.

In re: to the 10cents a page thing this is actually how that works:

"Kindle is compatible with a few file types. Most files have to be converted. Amazon provides you two ways to convert your files: you can either send attachments wirelessly to the device’s personal e-mail address, which will cost you $.10 per attachment or you can send them to a “free” Kindle e-mail address that you access via your Windows or Mac OS computer and then transfer the converted files to your Kindle manually via USB."

So a per doc charge if you opt to use their conversion services.

The Sony is definitely a better deal price-wise and looks better but for me it''s about the titles available. If Sony increases their library I might be interested!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow Italia, I think we are kindred spirits - I''m the same way with the two books a week - drives my DH absolutely nuts!

Thanks so much for the review - I think I''m going to have to consider that for a b-day gift
9.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Glad you love it. Reading is a good thing no matter what you use
1.gif

I prefer my Kindle. I like the instant gratification, and I have used the net access a few times while I was on the road. By the way, all classic books are free and there are around 5000 or so of them. Do a google search and you''ll find several sites to download from.

Happy reading
36.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds great! I have never heard of this before.... off to search. :)

I love reading so this could be perfect! Might be a good gift for my uncle who loves to read as well! Thanks for the info.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Interesting.... I''ll have to check it out! I feel like I''d miss the feel of a book though.
33.gif
I''m a tactile critter.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock

Date: 2/6/2009 10:56:41 PM
Author: whitetulips
Thanks for this writeup Italia! That ebook looks awesome and like a great deal.
36.gif
It is a great deal...I find myself enjoying it more and more!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 11:04:59 PM
Author: violet02

Thanks for the review Italia.

Since the book selection is more limited than Amazon have you had any issues finding what you want to read? I know the Kindle doesn''t always have what I want sometimes.

One point for me in favor of the Kindle though is the fact that it does have newspapers and the textbooks I use for the class I''m taking. Also it appears books are on average a bit cheaper on the kindle.

In re: to the 10cents a page thing this is actually how that works:

''Kindle is compatible with a few file types. Most files have to be converted. Amazon provides you two ways to convert your files: you can either send attachments wirelessly to the device’s personal e-mail address, which will cost you $.10 per attachment or you can send them to a “free” Kindle e-mail address that you access via your Windows or Mac OS computer and then transfer the converted files to your Kindle manually via USB.''

So a per doc charge if you opt to use their conversion services.

The Sony is definitely a better deal price-wise and looks better but for me it''s about the titles available. If Sony increases their library I might be interested!

Actually, I am finding that all newer releases are coming to Sony...so as of now, I haven''t had that problem.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2009 11:45:21 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Wow Italia, I think we are kindred spirits - I''m the same way with the two books a week - drives my DH absolutely nuts!

Thanks so much for the review - I think I''m going to have to consider that for a b-day gift
9.gif
We are kindred. If you seriously read, it''s much more cost effective...I usually spent $75.00 and up at the book store...now I spend less than $30.00 never leave my office, and get as many books!!!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Kindle 2.0 is available for pre-order now fyi! It looks WAY better than the last one.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
woooo kindle 2.0! I can''t wait until they release the student version. WOOOO

I wish I could have the sony now, but I have a mac, and mac and sony are not friends

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 1:44:19 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Date: 2/6/2009 11:45:21 PM

Author: AmberGretchen

9.gif
We are kindred. If you seriously read, it''s much more cost effective...I usually spent $75.00 and up at the book store...now I spend less than $30.00 never leave my office, and get as many books!!!

LOL my DH would dearly love to cut our book budget down
3.gif
I''ve learned to shop the sale table whenever possible - I''ve uncovered some true treasures there for $5 or $6, and even found a complete works of Jane Austen recently for $7 - I really enjoyed re-reading all of them (and then renting the movies to compare!).

I think I will look into it, but probably I should hold off until AFTER my upcoming thesis committee meeting on the 20th of February...
23.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hey Italiahaircolor,

I commented on your other iphone application thread, but there is a free application on the iphone called STANZA and you can basically do the same thing with it that you can do with your e-book.

I just downloaded the application yesterday and I have already downloaded 15 books. They have thousands that are free and then you can also purchase books as well.

I purchased the first two twilight books and they downloaded directly to my phone.

You can also download newspapers. I also downloaded the NY Times for free.

The screen is adjustable too, so if the font is too small, you can adjust it as well as the lighting.

You have to look into it as it''s a great application and might save you some money.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Oh, gee thanks. This is like introducing me to crack. Great! (Kidding, sort of!
3.gif
)

I actually ordered the Kindle 2 this evening, after some contemplation between the two. The Sony looks cooler, but the Kindle's selection seduced me... that, and the instant gratification style downloading. Oh the horror. This is going to be ugggglllly. I'm also a very avid reader.

I know at some point I'm going to end up duplicating a "real" book I already own on the Kindle... my book collection- the many, many, many boxes of it- are pretty much packed up right now, so it's been driving me nuts; I love rereading!

The Kindle is also thin enough I think I will be able to set it on the counter in front of me at work and not look engrossed in a book and unavailable, if it is super slow.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 3:30:23 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
3.gif
)

I actually ordered the Kindle 2 this evening, after some contemplation between the two. The Sony looks cooler, but the Kindle''s selection seduced me... that, and the instant gratification style downloading. Oh the horror. This is going to be ugggglllly. I''m also a very avid reader.

I know at some point I''m going to end up duplicating a ''real'' book I already own on the Kindle... my book collection- the many, many, many boxes of it- are pretty much packed up right now, so it''s been driving me nuts; I love rereading!

The Kindle is also thin enough I think I will be able to set it on the counter in front of me at work and not look engrossed in a book and unavailable, if it is super slow.

LGK you sound just like me. I know if I get one I''ll eventually want to duplicate my Discworld collection onto it. I love Discworld. i''m starting at the Kindle on the Amazon page now. I''m so close to pulling the trigger. Italia, I took a look at the Sony selections but for some older sci-fi stuff (which is what I''m really into lately) I think I should stick with Amazon. Maybe I should give up the idea of a travel ring and get the Kindle. EEEK.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
3.gif
)

I actually ordered the Kindle 2 this evening, after some contemplation between the two. The Sony looks cooler, but the Kindle''s selection seduced me... that, and the instant gratification style downloading. Oh the horror. This is going to be ugggglllly. I''m also a very avid reader.

I know at some point I''m going to end up duplicating a ''real'' book I already own on the Kindle... my book collection- the many, many, many boxes of it- are pretty much packed up right now, so it''s been driving me nuts; I love rereading!

You have no idea. None.

Like you, I''m an avid and prodigious reader. I now average somewhere between $250 and $350 a month in downloaded books.

It is crack
29.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 11:13:08 AM
Author: purrfectpear

3.gif
)

You have no idea. None.

Like you, I''m an avid and prodigious reader. I now average somewhere between $250 and $350 a month in downloaded books.

It is crack
29.gif

lol. I have to say though, I always justified it by saying that a book addiction was WAY better than many other addictions out there
2.gif
(or so I told my parents when they were financing my book shopping sprees in my childhood!)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Bit the bullet and bought a Kindle last night! (well pre-ordered it...)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I read as if I were an addict
31.gif
Our house is bursting at the seams with all of our books. I've been looking at the Kindle 2, but want to wait until the reviews come out after its release. For those of you who are ordering, please come back and let us know how you like it
1.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, dear.

To self: Back away from this thread. Just say no. Fight the urge.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been wanting to get back into reading again and am thinking about the Kindle. But I''m going to wait for the reviews.

Honestly, I''ve been hesitant to buy Sony when it comes to something that needs content. They tried to compete with iTunes and failed, and I am not sure what happened to the music store. If Kindle grabs way more market share, I would not surprised if Sony ditched this initiative.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 3:53:35 PM
Author: risingsun
I read as if I were an addict
31.gif
Our house is bursting at the seams with all of our books. I''ve been looking at the Kindle 2, but want to wait until the reviews come out after its release. For those of you who are ordering, please come back and let us know how you like it
1.gif

Definitely will - hopefully they won''t run out or anything - if all goes well I should have it on the 26th.
1.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 4:51:08 PM
Author: Haven
Oh, dear.

To self: Back away from this thread. Just say no. Fight the urge.

Books are good, reading is good, books = Kindle, so therefore reading = Kindle = good (not a great show of logic but you see where I''m going with this!
3.gif
)

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 6:37:07 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I''ve been wanting to get back into reading again and am thinking about the Kindle. But I''m going to wait for the reviews.

Honestly, I''ve been hesitant to buy Sony when it comes to something that needs content. They tried to compete with iTunes and failed, and I am not sure what happened to the music store. If Kindle grabs way more market share, I would not surprised if Sony ditched this initiative.

After Italia''s review on the Sony, I really wanted one (and the Sony looks MUCH nicer). Unfortunately, it''s not compatible with my Mac - and I felt like for quantity of available titles, I was better off sticking with Amazon. I did see articles that said that Google was in the midst of creating one based on Android, and so was Plastic Logic (they''re supposed to have a really good one coming out in 2010, all plastic, the size of a 8.5 x 11 paper - better for magazines, etc.). And Fujitsu also has a really really nice one out (I think that one and Plastic Logic are supposed to have color e-ink). But the Fujitsu one is about $900
23.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WHat is it like to read on a Kindle or similar e-book? I think I would miss the feeling of a "real book" and flipping back to a previous passage or just opening it at random for a quick read.

I love my walls full of books...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 7:21:01 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
WHat is it like to read on a Kindle or similar e-book? I think I would miss the feeling of a ''real book'' and flipping back to a previous passage or just opening it at random for a quick read.

I love my walls full of books...

No idea yet - I''ve never used one. But I''m with you - I love the feel of real books. But I do like the idea of carrying a TON of books around in one device
1.gif

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
It does take some getting used too...but eink is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results