shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy thread with toddlers 12-36 months

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
JGator, such a beauty! And like the others, Ev has no idea how to blow his nose. He gets so fed up with me digging around his nose trying to clean it out, but he refuses to let me use anything other than a kleenex, so it's a no win situation at this point.

amc, wow, B looks like he's about 4 years old in that first picture. The second one without pants looks more like a toddler though. So handsome.

NEL, glad you had such a fun Christmas with the girls!

Dandi, love O's hats!

AFU, we had a great Christmas this year. My parents came to visit, and DH's mom and sister and family live in town, so it was nice getting to see both sides. Ev had way too much attention and loved every minute of it. He expressed a lot of interest in seeing Santa toward the end, so DH found a random craft store that had a Santa, and we were able to get him there on Christmas Eve. He LOVED it and was so excited he was stuttering when talking to Santa. He got entirely too many presents (DH and I have a fundamental disagreement about that, and I feel like it's a losing battle for me because my MIL has no limits). Oh, and Ev's very confused by the whole present thing. The day after Christmas he came down apparently expecting another pile of gifts, and when they weren't there, he said, "Santa took all my presents!" Ha. I think we have it squared away now. Anyway, it was so much fun celebrating all the little things with him and appreciating everything through the eyes of a toddler. So magical! Happy New Year to you all!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mp, Oscar got an obscene amount of stuff for Christmas too, every time DH's mum produced another gift Oscar would say 'moooooree???'. Even he was gobsmacked! A few things were left in their boxes and given to charity, he simply has too much stuff already. Especially seeing as his birthday was only two weeks prior. Being a parent really brigs back the magic of Christmas though, I totally agree!

amc, your little guy is male model material! He is a total spunk, I just love that second picture.

It sounds like everyone had a great Christmas with their gorgeous little ones!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
This thread is pretty quiet lately. I guess all of our toddlers are keeping us busy!

So, I'm not sure if this is a vent or request for advice or what, but we are in major need of tackling a few things with Ev. I haven't mentioned it on here before, but I'm expecting again, and if, God-willing, all goes well, we will be bringing home twins this summer. I feel like now is the time to get Ev adjusted, rather than waiting until we are in the throes of adjusting to three under three.

First, Ev's still using a paci for naps and bedtime, and now that he is two (approaching 2.5), I feel like a bad parent for letting that continue. But at the same time, that is what gets him to fall asleep and go back to sleep if he wakes up in the middle of the night, and I am scared to rock the boat. He is also still in his crib, which really isn't a problem because he has never attempted to get out, but I wonder if it would be better to transition him to the idea of being a big boy in a bed before the babies come. We still need to figure out if we'll use his crib for one of the babies or get two new cribs or what, so I guess it depends on that as well. The other problem we need to tackle is potty training. A few months back, he was interested and using the potty a couple times a day, and now, he has zero interest and actually cries when we try to make him even sit on the potty. Any thoughts on this from those of you who have more than one child or are expecting a second?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1421348405|3816921 said:
This thread is pretty quiet lately. I guess all of our toddlers are keeping us busy!

So, I'm not sure if this is a vent or request for advice or what, but we are in major need of tackling a few things with Ev. I haven't mentioned it on here before, but I'm expecting again, and if, God-willing, all goes well, we will be bringing home twins this summer. I feel like now is the time to get Ev adjusted, rather than waiting until we are in the throes of adjusting to three under three.

First, Ev's still using a paci for naps and bedtime, and now that he is two (approaching 2.5), I feel like a bad parent for letting that continue. But at the same time, that is what gets him to fall asleep and go back to sleep if he wakes up in the middle of the night, and I am scared to rock the boat. He is also still in his crib, which really isn't a problem because he has never attempted to get out, but I wonder if it would be better to transition him to the idea of being a big boy in a bed before the babies come. We still need to figure out if we'll use his crib for one of the babies or get two new cribs or what, so I guess it depends on that as well. The other problem we need to tackle is potty training. A few months back, he was interested and using the potty a couple times a day, and now, he has zero interest and actually cries when we try to make him even sit on the potty. Any thoughts on this from those of you who have more than one child or are expecting a second?

So, the paci thing. A year ago I would have said you absolutely need to get him off of it. But now that I'm 36w pregnant and STILL dealing with sleep issues, I say if it allows YOU to get sleep, then just keep it for now. I've been letting B fall asleep in our bed (before we go to sleep) and then moving him to his bed once he's out. Definitely a bad habit, but it's either that or taking an hour out of my night to get him to fall asleep in his bed. I just don't have the energy to deal with that right now.

For the crib, that's a toughie. Assuming you are going to move him out of it in the next year or so, I'd probably do it now. That way he doesn't associate the babies with taking his crib. By the time they are born, he won't even remember having slept in the crib.

Potty training. Ugh. B is so good at going when we put him on it, but doesn't generally go on his own accord. He is staying drier for longer periods, though. We've been really lazy about this, mostly because I read so much about the regression that often comes with new babies. I didn't want to get him trained just to have to deal with it again. I think we will use the new baby to help train him ("babies use diapers and big boys go in the potty" sort of thing).

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, K still uses her paci for sleeping at night and for naps. I would like to get her off it by the time she's 3. Not sure if we should go cold turkey and deal with it all at once or phase it out for naps and then nighttime. So, no help. But, I'm in the same boat. So, don't feel alone. And, K sleeps in a crib, and will stay there till she tries to climb out on her own which she has never done. My friends and our pediatricians hae all said don't bother trying to potty train before 2.5. So, I would let that go until he's more interested and also able to hold/control his bladder. K is the youngest in her 2-year old pre-school class, and there is only 1 boy who just turned 3 in December who is potty trained out of 8 kids.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd transition to a big bed now too.

As for potty training....it sucks so much. Then once they are potty trained, they have to go to the bathroom all of the time. I swear their bladders are the size of a marble. So, three in diapers? Expensive, but once they are potty trained....it's not fun either. (Potty training itself is pretty miserable for everyone involved.) But once A started, it was like a light switch turned on.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
N turned 2.5 last week. He's still not potty-trained, he's still using a paci at naps and bedtime, he's still in his crib. I hope to tackle potty-training this spring-summer. I have no intention of taking the paci away unless he appears to be ready for it, and as far as I can tell he's still quite attached to it (my fault for introducing a paci in the first place). I really don't get the issue with the crib, though. What's wrong with staying in a crib well into toddlerhood? Unless, they're potty-trained and need to get up to go, I really don't understand what the problem is.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! I guess we'll just take it slowly with the potty training and see what we can do about the paci. We'll be seeing a dentist soon for him, and I'm sure they'll tell us the paci has to go.

Mayerling, I agree that the crib is not a big deal. My concern is that we're expecting twins in June or July, so I'd sort of like to tackle the transition now while we can focus all our attention on him. And we may want to use his crib for one of the babies.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, the dentist will tell you to get rid of the paci - we have been twice since K was 18 months. I think if you are going to tackle something, I would go with that first. Let me know what you do, and if it works! Also, I can understand not wanting to buy 2 more cribs when you already have one! Good luck. How is Ev? What are his latest developments?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
JGator, yeah, I just haven't quite figured out how we'll handle the crib situation. The crib we have for Ev has been discontinued from what I can tell, and I'm not sure the OCD part of me could handle two mismatched cribs if they are in the same room, but we haven't even decided what we'll do about that part yet. We have 4 bedrooms in our house, although I would like to keep one room as a guest room, so we'll most likely keep the babies together if that works. At the same time, I want to make it to like 20 weeks and make sure the babies are healthy before I make too many plans because I'm paranoid and superstitious of getting too excited or planning too far ahead.

Ev is doing great, thanks for asking! He talks all the time and is picking up lots of conversational phrases and patterns. His latest thing is that he starts almost every answer to a question with "maybe." What did you have for lunch today? Maybe applesauce. What do you want to wear today? Maybe my Thomas the Train shirt. He loves school (daycare), and he likes to have us sit down and pretend we are in class, and he is our teacher. He is also becoming Mr. Independent and insists on doing everything himself. I realize that is a normal developmental phase and we have to let him start doing things for himself, but my goodness, it tries my patience, especially when it is something I know he is not yet capable of doing on his own!

How's, little miss K doing? Is she still enjoying her preschool?

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, you have some time to figure out the cribs. If Ev's crib is convertible, then maybe just get 2 new matching cribs. Or you could always sell his on Craigslist if it's not convertible to a toddler bed. Our close friends have B/G Twins who are 3 and they share a room. You will probably have them in pack n plays early in your room too so that will buy you some time. I guess you also have to assume they will come before 40 weeks too since that's pretty common. Hopefully, not too early! Also, you should look into the moms of multiples organizations in your area when you feel more comfortable - maybe 20 weeks. We have one that has 2 consignment sales (Spring/Fall) per year so you can find some bargains there with multiple matching items. I go to the one we have here and get cute items for K.

Great to hear about Ev's language and the Maybes! K is talking up a storm surprising me by knowing words like Feather, Microwave, and Upside down. I am always wondering who taught you that? K is doing pretty well at pre-school - she cries at drop off but she has stopped crying in class. It's only 2 mornings a week, but she definitely has a best friend there who she talks about all the time. One of the moms posted some pics and a video on FB of their last class, and K was definitely participating. It's funny though - they had a music class where they played the song - "We are the Dinosaurs, Marching" and everyone was marching around except K who stood perfectly still. And, she LOVES that song at home and marches/sings it all the time at home. So, I think she's definitely still on the shy side. I still worry about her food intake - she ate carrots (from our beef stew) and a small slice of a baguette for dinner last night as an example. I found out she likes Yo Kids smoothees - probably more the cute container, but at least she is getting some Calcium that way - I think it said 10% of daily intake though. She likes broccoli now too. And, she will eat spaghetti - maybe 3 or 4 strings and a few bites of sauce on the side in a separate compartment of her plate. She also likes salami which she calls Hammy. Her new favorite book is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - which is long for me to read, but I'm impressed that she can sit through it. She also LOVES this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNozXA4TJJ0 which we DVRed on PBS kids over the holidays - and wants it recounted as a story by me at bedtime. It's a story about a boy who builds a snowman and a snow dog and they come to life at night and has an adventure with them. The nice/unique part is there are no words - just nice, relaxing music. I actually made her a snow dog when it snowed recently.

img_6669.jpg

img_6670.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is ridiculously cute JGator! I also love that movie, but we missed it this season. Dang.

I really wish we got snow. I was complaining that it was cold today though. Our high was 57. Sigh. I swear I love cold weather!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
JGator, sounds like K is doing really well. Isn't it so crazy the words they pick up? I'm still amazed at how much they are able to learn in such a short time when I think back to how he was even a year ago. The human brain is truly fascinating. Oh, and Ev has been going to daycare since 12 weeks, and he still has periods where he cries every morning we drop him off, and he is not a shy kid, although he is running around and playing within minutes of us leaving. Does K like those handbells? I almost ordered something that looks very similar off of Amazon for Christmas because Ev loves "instaments" (instruments). And I'll have to check out that Dog/Snowman video. Sounds right up Ev's alley.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
MP, I know I'm late to the party, but I had the same questions about Katie when I was pregnant with Coco, so thought I'd chime in. For the record, K still has her paci, is still in her crib and I have only put her in underwear once. For 10 minutes. Then she peed in them.

My cutoff for the paci is 3. K turns 3 in less than a month. I told her that the paci fairy is coming when she turns 3 and that her paci is going to go to the babies. K seems very excited about this...she clearly has no idea what is happening. She keep saying that her paci will be gone and the babies will have it, but I'm interested to see if she will be fine with it when it happens. If that doesn't work, I'm cutting the tip off. I used to have a small stash of pacis I kept in our kitchen. She found it, so I cut those tips off and continued to let her play with them. She has absolutely no interest in them, so hopefully she won't freak out when a.) the paci fairy comes or b.) the paci fairy has modified her paci if she freaks out that her paci is gone.

The bed is tough. K loves her crib, which is why she's still in it. I literally just ordered her bed 2 days ago. I let her help pick it out (gave her 2 options I liked). I also let her pick out the bedding. I gave her 3 bedding options and she picked out her favorite. I'd planned to choose the duvet cover myself, but she saw the matching duvet cover and was REALLY excited about it, so I ended up going that route because I figure the more excited she is about this bed, the better. She talks about these sheets every single day, so I'm hoping it helps. My plan is to set up the bed in her room and keep the crib up, too. Then she can choose where she wants to sleep.

Potty training is a wash for me. K has a hard time recognizing when she's about to go. She only knows when she's going (or when she's gone). I used to ask her if she had to go, but after hearing "no" 9,000 times, I just decided to start sitting her on the potty and encouraging her to go. She's fine with that, but she just makes funny faces and noises on the potty, then gets up. So...that doesn't work. I bought her underwear she loves, but she'd rather be in the diaper. So I don't fight the battle. Honestly, having both of my kids in diapers doesn't even crack the top 10 of "difficult things about having multiple children", so I'm indifferent. K can stay in diapers for as long as she wants.

Also, is Ev staying in his room? We moved K's room when I was pregnant, so that was the biggest transition for us.

So excited for you!! I totally stalk you on the JBP thread.

AFU, I can't believe K is going to be 3 and no longer a toddler in less than a month!!! CRAZY!!! She talks constantly now. Not in full sentences, but it's unbelievable that just a couple of months ago she was only saying a handful of words. She's a lot of fun and so sweet. She's so amazing to Cora--I don't even think I'm as nurturing to Cora as Katie is. She's just a wonderful kid and I count my blessings all the time.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
NEL, thanks for your input! It makes me feel a lot better. In your case, K was just turning 2 when C was born, so I wouldn't have made any big adjustments before C's arrival either. Ev will likely be about 3-4 months shy of three when the babies are born, so I worry I'm going to be completely overwhelmed and unable to work on any big transitions with him for the first few months, and he'll probably be feeling a bit put out when he realizes he will no longer be the sole center of the universe at our house. Ev talks a lot about how he is a big boy and not a baby, so we are trying to drill it in to him that how pacis and diapers are for babies, not big boys. Then he changes his tune and says "I'm a baby" and asks me to rock him like a baby! Ugh. We'll get it figured out, and I guess we still have some time. I can't wait to hear how K handles the end of the paci era.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to chime in on the pacifier discussion. My daughter LOVED her pacifier. I thought the transition would be epic and horrible. It wasn't. I wish I could recall the exact age, but it had to have been around 2.5 when daycare would tell me that she never really asked for it there and would nap without it (which I frankly could not believe!) I had discussed many options with the dentist (a mom of 3) to convince her to let it go. One night, we just decided to tell her that she wouldn't have it any longer, that it (funny to refer to it in the singular as there were probably a dozen or so of them in the house!) needed to be passed on for other babies to use. She cried. For a full 25 minutes straight. I more or less do not believe in allowing babies/toddlers to cry. We never sleep-trained. She never cries in my presence without being held. And so, I held her, and I cried a little too, and then . . . she fell asleep. And, here is the amazing part -- she never asked for a pacifier again!! She seemed so reliant on it previously. I couldn't believe it!! Hopefully, this offers some perspective. However you plan to handle this transition, stick to it, and I hope it turns out to be easier than you thought!

JGator - I always love your pictures of K! Such a sweet snow dog. We went through an Alexander phase too, probably at about the same age. Funny. That's also around when she would start looking at the photos on each page and re-telling the story based on memory. Love that!!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
LV, thanks for your advice on the paci. K sounds a lot like your daughter. We always tell her she doesn't need the paci so now usually in the AM, she will take it out and say - "Don't need this." She gets the paci at naps and bed time, and also right after we get her out of the crib in the AM. I think you are right that it's best to just have it go away. I have been telling her that it's going to the paci fairy/other babies too like NEL. We are down to 2 pacis in the house - we keep them in the crib so we don't lose them. I also have one in my purse, but we never use that anymore - it was reserved for melt downs in grocery stores and the car seat. K also points at the pictures and asks me who/what things are in the book like the desserts the kids have at lunch or the children on the playground. K can sing "You are My Sunshine" now - it about melted my heart when she sang it this week since I have sung it to her since she was a baby, and she always asks for it at bed time. I couldn't believe she remembered both verses also!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies! It's been a minute since I've had a chance to post here, but I have been following along from time to time. Your little boys and girls are all so gorgeous, as always!

Alex is doing better since I last posted as far as daycare and some issues we were having with her sort of acting out with me. Once things settled down with my schedule and the holidays, it became really apparent that she had been feeling a bit neglected. Her very favorite thing in the world is all of us spending time together, and TOGETHER is her "catchphrase" at the moment. Putting on socks, getting dressed, meal times at home, trips to the grocery, whatever; her mantra has become "let's do it TOGETHER." It's really cute. Bath time is still reserved for mommy, though, and rocking chair time is for daddy unless one of us needs a break, then of course there is a little shit fit, but nothing major.

She is definitely becoming more child than baby. Today when I asked her to describe her day, instead of just saying "I played with my friends" and getting distracted by something else, she gave me a rundown of about 7-8 different activities! Whoa. I was thrilled/shocked/sad/happy/proud all in the same moment. I am so happy for her that she's gaining independence, and happy for us that she can do things by herself, but wow, never realized I would miss her baby stages so much.

JGator, Alex is a huge fan of "You Are My Sunshine." The only song she sings currently is "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," but she does ask me to tuck her in at night and requests "Sunshine." After I sing the second verse, she usually cuts me off and says "Bye." It's kind of defeating and hilarious at the same time. They are strange little beings!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie, glad things have settled down with Alex. I am sad about K becoming more of a child now than a baby, too. She likes Sunshine sung about 100 times. I wish she would say Bye! I also made up a new song to the tune of Oh My Darling Clemetine and that can go on and on. I make up stuff as I go to amuse myself. K has a 3-syllable name, and she has shortened it to 2 when she talks about herself. So, the song has the shorter 2-syllable name in most of the verses that I make up along with other stuff like We love K, We Love K or K loves us, K loves us. I throw in the grandparents and the nanny too. And, she will often ask for me to put people in specifically.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, songs are fun. I wish we could post videos--I bet your version of Clementine is outstanding!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Oh my darling, Clementine is K's favorite--the song takes forever because there are so many verses, but K wants me to sing all of them, haha. She does this hilarious dance to one of the verses and it makes me laugh so hard (every single time) that I have to pause for a bit.

K isn't starting preschool until this fall (she'll be 3.5), so we've been doing the preschool open house tours this month. I don't consider myself a particularly emotional person, but the first open house--just seeing the class room--made me cry. With her speech exploding in the past couple of months, plus us moving her out of her crib this week. And the preschool open houses. It just feels like she's suddenly a kid and I'm the one who can't cope!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's hard to have them transition to being little kids! I miss so much about A being a baby....I feel like it's gone in a blink of an eye.

Just wanted to warn you guys, since there are a bunch of kiddos getting to that age, but be prepared for nightmares and being afraid of the dark. I was joking when we got home from the store today (we bought a lamp with a fancy nightlight in it) that she's going to have 15 different types of lighting in her room before she's 5. Right now we have 4 different nightlights, two lamps and the overhead fixture. We got really tired of having the batteries on nightlights die, so we got a fancy lamp today that is a small table lamp with a nightlight in the base. A basically woke up screaming bloody murder Friday and Saturday nights, Friday it was "THERE ARE SPIDERS EVERYWHERE!" and Saturday it was "I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING! I'M SCARED OF THE DARK!"

So. Be prepared for that, because it was pretty traumatizing for all involved. :-o

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Freke- B has started having bad dreams on occasion. A couple of weeks ago he ran into our room crying, and when I asked him what was wrong he said there were spiders. It has to be terrifying having your first bad dream.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Dipping my toe in over here as E just turned one last week! I can't believe how fast this year has gone. My older son B is 6. His fear of the dark is just starting to subside...a little...

E has a TEMPER, like majorly. Full on, throw yourself back, legs kicking, arms flailing, screaming at the top of his lung tantrums kind of temper. Any tips? We've started trying to sign with him (but that's slow going and I don't think he quite gets it yet) as I think some of it is b/c he's frustrated he can't communicate, but really, he's been like this since birth. Super chill and happy...until he's not...and then, watch out.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
amc80|1422896210|3826036 said:
Freke- B has started having bad dreams on occasion. A couple of weeks ago he ran into our room crying, and when I asked him what was wrong he said there were spiders. It has to be terrifying having your first bad dream.
Ugh. It's so awful. I still have nightmares, but of course, as an adult, you've had so many over the years that you know what's going on. For a little kid....she's still talking about the spider one, and it's 5 days later.

It doesn't help that we have a TON of spiders where we live.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Bella, welcome!! No advice on temper. K has one randomly, but she's pretty mellow as long as she has her Mommy. We try to ignore and not laugh sometimes when she does melt down. I cannot believe B is 6!!! How did that happen? I also can't believe E is 1. This last year flew by!

Freke, sorry A is having nightmares.

AMC, sorry to hear about B having nightmares too. How is little T? Are you dying of exhaustion with 2 and BF?

Monnie, I don't think I would post my singing on line! I do like to make up goofy verses though.

NEL, I looked up the real words for Clementine after reading your post. Kind of gloomy huh? I only knew the OIh My Darling, Oh My Darling Clementine - you are lost and gone forever part - not the rest of it! Glad I didn't know it all! Did you pick a pre-school? What kind of program? We are just in a 2 morning/week co-op right now which we will likely continue next school year. They have an option of a Young 3 class which will work out well since K will start school late and it basically adds a year in for us. I do wonder if she should be doing something more structured when she's 3 though. But, she won't be 3 till late October, and I think most of those programs make you turn 3 before the school year starts so I guess we have time to figure that out.

AFM, we have such a sweet girl. I told K that I had an ear ache last night and that I was going to the doctor today. She seemed very concerned and said, "scared and afraid". I said, no I am not scared or afraid. The doctor is nice, and he will look in my ear and give me medicine - she said, "Ear, Doctor, Look Inside, and Medicine" to me. This AM I left early for another appt, and when I got home she said - "Mommy, Doctor, ear all better". I just love her to pieces - she is so sweet! I'm back to worrying about her eating - she had 2 tiny bites of a muffin for breakfast today and 2 tiny bites of a hamburger for dinner last night plus a yo kids yogurt smoothee. She weighs 25.5 lbs. I think she has been in the 24/25 lb range since she turned 18 months and she is 27 months now. The smoothee is a new addition to her menu that is my fallback to get a little more calories into her. Our nanny tries to make them at home, but K doesn't like any pulp/fruit fibers so she refuses them once she finds a tiny string from an orange. K loves pre-school now - she has stopped crying at drop off since the new year. And, she even hugs her best friend there when she sees her.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
JGator, your K is such a sweetheart! Isn't it so touching? Sometimes I get teary-eyed when my K is so sweet and caring--makes me feel very grateful. So sorry your ear is bothering you--ear pain is the worst!

My K is a beanpole as well and barely eats her meals. I always offer her a full plate, but she usually only eats a little of some of the items. If I offered her a dozen packs of fruit snacks, I have no doubt she'd eat them all, but I'm not just going to offer her things she'll eat for the sake of eating. So I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. But my doc keeps telling me it's normal for weight to plateau in the toddler years, so I'm trying not to worry. Her vertical growth has started to slow as well, but I'm fine with that given how tall she is.

I know, when I looked up the lyrics to Oh My Darling, Clementine, I told my husband that it was the most depressing song ever, but I've read it's supposed to be a satire. Still sad, if you ask me.

Freke, so sorry about the nightmares, poor thing! K has had a few nightmares, but she's still not really at the point where she can communicate what they are. Luckily she doesn't really have a tough time going back to sleep. And she much prefers the dark--if there is any light in her room she insists on turning it off. But who knows if she'll change her mind, she is a toddler.

Bella, sorry to hear about E's temper, that's a tough one. C (who turns 1 next week!) is starting to have little fits, but they mostly make me laugh. If I don't give her what she wants, she'll lie down and start kicking her feet. Luckily it only lasts for a minute if I ignore her. I have a friend whose son is a terrible tantrum thrower. My nephew is one as well. They both use the same tactic of looking out the window and talking about what they see. I don't know what it is about going over to the window, but both of them claims it eventually calms them down. If they ignore the tantrums, they say it usually gets worse and can last for over an hour.

amc, I hope your transition from a family of 3 to a family of 4 is going well! I've been thinking about you! I don't even remember those first weeks, but it sounds like the new baby is giving some long stretches of sleep, which is helpful. And I know B's indifference is very common.

AFU, K transitioned to her big girl bed last night! I'd had the bed set up in her room for about a week, but the mattress delivery was delayed due to the awesome Boston weather we've been having. We got the mattress yesterday and K wanted to put her sheets on it. So I did. Then she kept saying "Katie sleep in BED!" so I figured I'd at least give it a shot. If she wanted her crib, I could just move her (I left the crib set up next to the bed). But she went right to sleep in her bed and when she woke up (actually, I had to wake her up--she seemed really comfy in her bed), she said "Katie like bed!" So I guess that's that. I'm taking down her crib this weekend and I'm sad about it.

big_girl_bed.jpg

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
AWWW, NEL, K looks so small and cute in her BIG bed! That must be sad to pack up the crib. I'm glad I have someone to commiserate with on the picky eater. K had 2 or 3 bites of a spring roll for dinner last night and a smoothee for breakfast this AM. She refused everything I offered for breakfast until I asked which color straw she wanted for her smoothee and then she drank the smoothee Just looked up the smoothee - 80 calories. I put edamame, annie's gummy bunnies, and a few apple slices in her snack container for pre-school so we'll see if she eats any of that today. Odds are low. She also gets a bottle at night before teeth brushing at bedtime, and that's the only milk she consumes - she drank only 1/2 of it last night - so 4 oz another 75 calories.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
NEL, so glad Katie has transitioned well to her bed so far. I hope she is keeping that up. We are still deciding when to try to transition Ev. My gut tells me he's not quite ready to give up his crib yet (or maybe I'm not ready to deal with him not being contained in his crib yet!).

JGator and NEL, too funny about the Clementine lyrics. Ev likes that song too, but we only do the first verse, so I also read the lyrics, and it is a really weird song, and I never realized how weird. Oh well. Ev's daycare/preschool does a Fourth of July program every year (I have no idea why!), but anyway, they are already starting to practice some of the songs with the little ones. As a result, Ev sings "You're a Grand Old Flag" nonstop these days. It is hilarious because he knows all the words and sings it over and over again, but I'm not sure I can take 5 months of this :) He sings ALL THE TIME because he has music class three days a week and Spanish class every day, and then comes home sings the song. I just love his sweet little offkey singing voice. Apparently he is by the far the loudest singer in his class.

Bella, ah yes, the temper tantrums. Ev started those early too. Fortunately, the more verbal he got, the less frequent they have become, and we ignore it for the most part when possible. His signature move is run and throw his body on the ground, and if he doesn't get the response he wanted, he does it again. So hard not to laugh.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

For those of you with new babies or who have more than one child, how much did you work to make your older child understand about the new baby? I occasionally say to Everett that he is going to be a big brother and talk about mommy having babies in her tummy, but I can tell he pretty much has no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe it will get more real in a few months for him. I want him to sort of understand the concept before the babies arrive, but I don't know if that's even realistic for a two-year old.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NEL, love K's expression in her new bed! She is just too much. The pattern on the bedding is adorable!

Alex has been ill for a couple days now with some sort of bug, not sure what. I attempted to take her to daycare this morning, but by the time we got in the door there she was a whiny mess, so I had to keep her home. A dose of ibuprofen and a 4 hour nap later, she is lethargic but up and playing quietly. She was rummaging through a drawer and found my loupe, so I tried to teach her how to use it on her Mardi Gras beads...here is the result:

alexloupe2915.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results