shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I'd share some recent pictures of E. She is crawling, cruising, and getting into lots of trouble! Her first two teeth finally popped through at the same time. Only took 9 months... :twirl: Sleep is still blahhh but our pedi told us that as long as she's on breast milk, we should expect to wake with her 1-2 times a night through 14 months, and that STTN is not the norm. Hard to believe when everyone else's babes seem to STTN! We're still breastfeeding, though my supply has dipped further. Our usage of donor milk is biting us in the butt, as now she refuses anything but boob milk. We have two awesome mamas that pump for us, though, and I'm hoping-wishing-praying they can keep it up through Ellie's first birthday.

dsc_4059.jpg

eloise1.jpg

dsc_3964.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Hi ladies!

PPM, E is so cute. Such pretty blue eyes. Hope the sleeping gets better for you soon. Ev has been exclusively on formula since about 8-10 weeks when we figured out he had MSPI, but it wasn't until recently that he has started sleeping 8 hour stretches consistently. And it seems like a lot of breastfed babies I know have been sleeping 12 hour stretches since very early on. I really do think it just depends on the baby.

JGator, I hope K's sleeping has improved again. I do think out little ones are getting to an age where they can start to develop bad habits. We haven't gotten to the point where we can put Ev in the crib awake, so we usually lay him on a lounger or mat until he falls asleep (rather than holding him), and then we transfer him to the crib. He usually stirs and fusses a bit, but we have just been going in and holding his hand and/or letting him rest his head against our hand until he falls asleep. It seems to be working pretty well.

Ev was sick yesterday. He projectile vomited 4 times in 2 hours at daycare. He was fine when he got home, except he was quieter and sleepier than usual. No fever or anything. The doctor had us give him syringes of Pedialyte every 5 minutes for several hours to keep him hydrated. He woke up completely fine in the morning. I have no idea what that was all about because it seemed to be too short-lived to be a stomach bug, but it was apparently pretty violent. Just glad he is better now.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, ladies! I wanted to pop over here for a quick post to say hello. My sweet baby girl Emily was born on May 8th, so I guess I belong over here now!

I've lurked on this thread forever, and it has been SO helpful. Reading all your experiences helped me know what to expect, and it's made me feel much more normal as my DH and I have clumsily navigated the first week of parenthood. It has also been fun just to look at the pictures of all the beautiful babies, too. :love:

The first week+ has already been filled with ups and downs (thankfully more ups!), and there are still moments where it feels surreal that we have a child. Sounds ridiculous, but sometimes I can't believe that this little sweetie is ours. It's just crazy!

I feel grateful and lucky that breastfeeding has gone really well so far, and I plan to keep up with it for at least the length of my maternity leave... but man oh man - there are moments when I feel like it's draining the life out of me. I have never had 2-3 hour increments go so fast. I look at the clock or see her rooting or hear her cry, and I'm like... already??? It's time to feed you again??? I thought after I delivered I got my body back to myself. Not so!

DH has been home from work with me and will return to work on Wednesday. My mom comes into town tomorrow for a week. So I've had and will have great support... but there is a part of me that is already stressed out about what the days will be like when DH goes back to work and my mom goes home. I know I will survive it, but... I am a little fearful about not having someone who can just take her if I can't seem to soothe her.

Anyway - that's it for now, because guess what? It's time to feed Em! Ha.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Okay, random question- does anyone else have trouble reading to their baby? I'll sit down with B to read to him and all he wants to do is 1) slam the book closed, 2) chew on it, and/or 3) throw it on the ground.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome, Curly. I felt exactly the same way about being alone with the baby and feeding all the time! You can do it! I am pumping now for 50% of K's liquid diet, and it still seems to take up so much time (20-30 mins 4X a day).

PPM, Eloise is stunning! Hope you get her on a better sleep schedule soon. I totally feel your pain.

MP, yes, we need to figure out how to stop feeding K in the middle of the night as she has regressed. The paci isn't soothing her anymore like it used to. Sorry Ev was sick. Hope he's back to normal now.

AMC, K loves to close books and put them in her mouth. Everything seems to go straight to the mouth!

AFU, did you all know that Gerber Organic baby food has tuna oil in it? Just noticed this - we bought a mix of brands, and we're not going to use the Gerber Organic anymore. We are taking K on her first airplane trip next Wednesday. Wish us luck! We're going to visit my family in FL for a week. I'm leveraging LC's packing list and my mom is renting a crib, bouncy seat, and bath tub. She already has a booster seat from my sister's kids. Hoping we can get K to take her naps without the nanny for a week! I got her to take a 30 minute nap today in her swing since the nanny has the day off. The nanny usually gets her to take 2 1.5-2 hour naps/day (all on the nanny's lap!). We may have to resort to driving her around to get her to take her naps next week.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1368811658|3449104 said:
Okay, random question- does anyone else have trouble reading to their baby? I'll sit down with B to read to him and all he wants to do is 1) slam the book closed, 2) chew on it, and/or 3) throw it on the ground.

+1

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1368863549|3449457 said:

+1
At almost 18 months, and if it's a board book, we might be safe. Babies do not like being patient. And that means reading. Totally normal.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock

I try to read with L when she crawls to her books, which is when she's most interested. I tend to read a short sentence from each page, or just a few pages at a time. Sometimes we just talk about the pictures. Anything to get her to enjoy the books.

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
PetitePoire|1368978803|3449999 said:

I try to read with L when she crawls to her books, which is when she's most interested. I tend to read a short sentence from each page, or just a few pages at a time. Sometimes we just talk about the pictures. Anything to get her to enjoy the books.

Love those ideas Petit! Sometimes I get so caught up into trying to read every word on every page & it becomes a frustrating experience (not a good way to encourage a love of reading)! I'm going to use your tips & follow baby girls lead :)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome, Curly! I totally hear ya on the breastfeeding front... until Oscar was about 12 weeks old he cluster fed in the evenings... between the hours of 5pm and 9pm I was literally chained to the couch - feeding, feeding, feeding! And during the day, you wonder where on earth the couple of hours between feeds goes!! :bigsmile: I was like you when DH went back to work, I was nervous how I would go being alone with O - now when DH is home he actually disrupts up our little routine a bit! :rodent: Keep up the great work, you are doing a fantastic job, mummy!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Petite that's a great idea, I'll try that too!

amc, same here, Oscar just wants to eat his books. He seems to get great enjoyment out of snapping them shut, too!

Gosh PPM, E is such a little stunner, those eyes are amazing!! :love:

vintage, your little guy is ridiculously CUTE! Love his toothy grin! :bigsmile:

Aww mp, so sorry to hear Ev was unwell, it must be awful to see your little one feeling so yucky. I'm so glad he is on the mend!

Hello to everyone else!

Well I've given up on solids for now, Oscar just isn't ready. He played around with a bit of food and seemed to like sweet potato and avocado, but the last few days he has just gagged and pushed everything out of his mouth with his tongue. I even tried putting a bit of food on the end of my finger for him to suck, and the little monkey wised up to me and turned away, so I think I'll give it a rest for a while. He is still sleeping well and very happy during his waking hours, just on breastmilk, so I guess I can leave it for a bit (??). He won't be 6 months for another few weeks yet. Oscar, DH and I all just got over a cold too, so maybe O lost a bit of his mojo when he wasn't well. Unfortunately he lost his appetite for a couple of days too, which led to me getting a blocked duct and subsequent mastitis for the first time. One word... OW!! :knockout: Thanks heavens for antibiotics!

Winter is only a week away, it is raining heaps and getting really cold. As much as I like the warm weather, I do love snuggling up to Oscar inside when it's so rotten out. I found a cute beanie amongst his clothes that were given as gifts, he wears it most days at the moment when we are out, I love that it covers his little ears! I think he reckons he looks like a bit of a dude in it too :cheeky:

Also, I bought him a baby bean bag in the hope that it will help his head (it's a bit flat at the back), and he loves it! He looks like such a bloke, kicking back and relaxing.
Much love to all of you and your beautiful babies!!! :wavey:

beanie_5_months.jpg

beanbag_5_months.jpg

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dandi, O is just so cute :) Is it getting colder in your side of the world? It's been so warm here lately that I was shocked to see a stocking cap, but then I remembered where you live!

amc, add me to the list of frustrated reading parent :) I don't read to him nearly as often as I should because he's such a grabby busy body. I usually read to him when he's lying down and show him the pictures. Not sure how into the experience he is, but it's a start.

Hi PP, I was just wondering where you'd gone off to. Hope things are going well! You almost have a one year old, don't you?

JGator, hope you have a fabulous trip! We had to cancel the one we were going to take next month because I've been having trouble getting enough hours billed at work, and I need to take off some time later in the summer for my sister's wedding. Hopefully, K will get her naps in for you!

Curlysue, good to see you posting over here. That's great breastfeeding is going so well, even though I'm sure it's draining. Yes, being on your own all day with the baby is scary at first, but once you find some sort of routine, it won't seem so daunting.

Here's a pic of Ev practicing his newfound skill this morning. DH totally photobombed on me!

20130520_070836.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad B isn't the only one with book issues. I was starting to feel like I was raising a delinquent since you always hear about babies being read to all the time. B had a great weekend. His top two teeth finally came all the way through, so his mood was much better. Yesterday he went down for both naps without a protest...and one lasted two hours. Same thing at night, and he slept ALL night! It had been a couple of weeks so hopefully it was just the teeth messing him up. He's saying mama now all the time...well, to be honest, it's really mamamamamama and I know he doesn't associate a meaning. But I love it :)

JGator|1368813350|3449123 said:
AFU, did you all know that Gerber Organic baby food has tuna oil in it? Just noticed this - we bought a mix of brands, and we're not going to use the Gerber Organic anymore.

I checked it out at Target. It freaked me out until I realized that's where they are getting the DHA from. So for some reason I don't mind it. I mean I suppose there are other sources of DHA but the tuna thing doesn't bother me.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
monkeyprincess|1369058940|3450400 said:
Dandi, O is just so cute :) Is it getting colder in your side of the world? It's been so warm here lately that I was shocked to see a stocking cap, but then I remembered where you live!

amc, add me to the list of frustrated reading parent :) I don't read to him nearly as often as I should because he's such a grabby busy body. I usually read to him when he's lying down and show him the pictures. Not sure how into the experience he is, but it's a start.

Hi PP, I was just wondering where you'd gone off to. Hope things are going well! You almost have a one year old, don't you?

JGator, hope you have a fabulous trip! We had to cancel the one we were going to take next month because I've been having trouble getting enough hours billed at work, and I need to take off some time later in the summer for my sister's wedding. Hopefully, K will get her naps in for you!

Curlysue, good to see you posting over here. That's great breastfeeding is going so well, even though I'm sure it's draining. Yes, being on your own all day with the baby is scary at first, but once you find some sort of routine, it won't seem so daunting.

Here's a pic of Ev practicing his newfound skill this morning. DH totally photobombed on me!

Hi MP! I think of you all often! I realized this week that it's been a good minute since I've popped in. I had to reread your post a few times to realize that you were talking about my almost one year old! I cannot believe i almost have a one year old. Where does the time go?

She's 10 months now and still doesn't sttn, or properly nap alone. My nights are long and days are short. I feel like I never have time to sit on the computer or else I feel guilty making her play alone. She's very dependent on me for entertainment and sleep. :/

Aside from our lack of sleep issues- L is a true doll. She's a very very happy baby and we just adore her.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, ladies! Thanks for the welcome.

MP and Dandi, your boys are just precious. I love seeing the alert eyes and sweet smiles!

JGator, I am curious, what is the concern with tuna oil? Mercury? Or something else? Good luck with your trip!!

I am also psyched to see the posts about reading. I think I got a little over-eager and bought TONS of books for Em, but it looks like it will be awhile before we can start enjoying them together. :bigsmile:

We had our 2-week check-up yesterday, and I'm happy to report that Em gained 14 oz in 8 days, bringing her up above her birthweight. It was great to get that feedback and made me feel like I'm doing a good job! Very reassuring. It looks like she has a very mild tongue tie, though it's not affecting her latch nor my comfort, so at this point we are not planning to do anything about it. But I'm just curious - has anyone else dealt with this? I've heard it can cause possible issues with speech, but I can't say I've heard that from any specific reliable source. Just wondering if it's something we should be giving more thought to at this point or if our wait-and-see approach makes more sense.

Also - I'm planning to go back to work on August 1st. I'm going to start pumping this week so we can start to introduce a daily/every other day bottle soon, but I'm wondering when I should start building up a supply. I was thinking of just pumping once a day to start out, at least for the next few weeks. I am probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but... at what point should I start increasing my pumping frequency? And I was just reading through the instructions for my pump - do I really need to wash all the parts every night by hand? Or is there a quicker way to do this?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
CurlySue|1369245393|3451939 said:
Also - I'm planning to go back to work on August 1st. I'm going to start pumping this week so we can start to introduce a daily/every other day bottle soon, but I'm wondering when I should start building up a supply. I was thinking of just pumping once a day to start out, at least for the next few weeks. I am probably getting a bit ahead of myself, but... at what point should I start increasing my pumping frequency? And I was just reading through the instructions for my pump - do I really need to wash all the parts every night by hand? Or is there a quicker way to do this?

I was never able to build up more than a one day supply so I can't really answer to that part. But I would try out the bottle fairly soon. I've heard there's a developmental magic window for the bottle, and after that point you will have more trouble with it. As far as the pump- yep. I would keep my in the fridge between pumpings that day, then wash every night.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curly, in the early stages, I didn't pump at all. But, at about 6 weeks I would pump in the morning after DS nursed and I would yield at least a few ounces. Even though DS woke in the night pretty frequently I was still the most "full" in the am. I wouldn't start pumping too soon or you could mess with your supply. I did that with DS1, ended up with oversupply and a nasty case of mastitis as a result. You especially want to avoid pumping until you're empty when you're engorged because you'll end up in the vicious cycle of constantly being engorged then feeling the need to pump for some relief which, of course, only perpetuates the situation. I speak from "boobie hurting" experience!

In regards to building a "stash". If you have a good supply, a few weeks should do it. I would just try to build a week's (or less if you're comfortable) supply before you go back to work.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu66|1368986370|3450044 said:
PetitePoire|1368978803|3449999 said:

Love those ideas Petit! Sometimes I get so caught up into trying to read every word on every page & it becomes a frustrating experience (not a good way to encourage a love of reading)! I'm going to use your tips & follow baby girls lead :)

Just taking a quick moment to chime in here on reading:

Alex is pretty good about reading time. BUT, that's only because my husband took it upon himself to read to her every. single. day. since she was born. No exaggeration. He felt that it was so important, he started it in the hospital the night she was born. I rolled my eyes over it a lot at first, but it's something he's committed to, and stuck with, and she seems to really love it. Today, (she's almost 12 months old), I had her changing pad on the carpet while I was cleaning the changing table, and she actually crawled over to it, had a book (one of those little bitty ones) and started playing on the changing pad with the book, like she was pretending she was in her crib being read to. I've been following this thread although have been absent due to everything that's been keeping me busy and from posting, but I HAD to chime in about this topic because I saw that result. She sometimes brings books to me already (she's been walking lately, or scooting across the floor using a book under one hand) and will listen for the most part until something else catches her attention. Keep at it, AMC, and everyone else. Just those litle glimpses of interest do mean something.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to chime in on the reading thing because my experience was the same as Monnie's. We are daily readers (in the beginning I literally read her my US Weekly) and now it's her favorite thing to do. Not only does she love being read to, but her favorite way to "play" is to get a book, go to her "spot" (on a giant stuffed animal's lap) and babble to herself while turning the pages. I love that she loves being read to now.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd like to comment on the reading topic too! My daughter was not too interested in reading early on. We had plenty of books, and we did read to her sometimes, but she really seemed to have no patience for it at all. I recall mentioning it to one of her pediatricians (in a classic worried first time mom way), who assured me that would come with time. I would guess that was around 12-15 months that I mentioned it to her. Well, she is 28 months now, and she cannot get enough books. I read to her every day, most days several times, and I don't know, 3-8 books at a time, and now, some of those repeatedly. So, I think it really depends on the kid, and I certainly don't think she missed out on anything by not being read to all.the.time in earlier months. Every kid is different. I'm certainly not suggesting that parents should not read to their babies, but I do not think parents should be too worried if their infants are not interested in being read to.

Since we're on the topic of books, I just have to mention that this is one of S's favorite books: http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Book-Golden-Super-Shape/dp/0307581179. I think every kid should have one. :halo: My husband is so funny, he picked up this book last night, and started reading it as if it was a Dr. Seuss book instead ("One Fish, Two Fish . . .") S was exasperated, and kept telling him, no, no!!

My favorite book at the moment is: http://www.amazon.com/Little-New-Kangaroo-Bernard-Wiseman/dp/0395653622 It is so adorable! I don't think I will ever tire of reading it. I have a vintage copy. I just adore it!

On another note, Puppmom, good to see you here. :wavey: We need some proper updates from you!!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
B just had his 9 month appt. The doctor wasn't concerned about his speech at all and said it will likely start improving soon. He's 32" and 24lbs14oz, so he's lost some weight (I'm guessing due to being so active). Nice appointment because no shots!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
amc, what a tall boy! I wouldn't be worried about the speech thing at all. He's just too busy moving around to bother with talking at this point, and he is probably taking in way more than you realize. I have a nephew who barely said a word until he was two, and he went from that to talking in short sentences pretty much overnight and surprised us all.

LV, thanks for the book recommendations! I'm glad to hear your little one is coming around to liking books. I tried really hard to read to Ev every day in the early days, and it was fine when he couldn't move or grab anything, but like several others have mentioned, he now has no patience for it whatsoever. Like everything else, I think there are probably just some kids who are more interested in books and better able to sit still than others!

PP, glad to hear things are going well. I hope you'll pop in again once in awhile. Sorry to hear sleeping is still not going that well yet. My kid is a terrible napper and not the best sleeper as well, but I keep telling myself that this too shall pass.

Curly, wow, that's some good growth in such a short time! Sounds like you are doing wonderfully!

AFU, Ev is getting baptized this weekend, so I'll be busy tonight and tomorrow morning cleaning the house and preparing for a little celebratory brunch afterward. And then we are having his pictures taken again on Monday. They were supposed to be six month pictures, but time got away from me, and he wasn't sitting up until recently anyway. My only hope is that we can keep him from scratching his face for the next three days, so he doesn't have his usual scratches and scabs. Oh, and it would be nice if he wouldn't spit up on me or him before his baptism :) Hope you all have a wonderful long weekend! (If you're in the U.S. that is)

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Our baby girl is one month old today! :)

:)

We are so loving time with our daughter. She's a joy and is starting to kick, make funny faces, and she's just a wonderful little person! We are adapting well to being parents and it's truly a dream come true. I love her in a way I never thought was possible. Yay for parenthood!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww, I am loving all these pictures, such beautiful little ones :love: :love: :appl:

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
PPM- I just went back a page and saw your post about breastmilk and sttn. I got really excited when I read that. L is still bf-ing (plus eating solids). No idea how my supply is, because I've only BF'd (vs pumped), but I too hope to make it to a year minimum. Thank you for posting your doctor's input!

Fisher- I didn't get a chance to post on the other thread, but I wanted to say congratulations!! I'm so so happy you have your sweet baby girl. She's a true beauty and so blessed to have you as parents. :)

Moneyprincess- How exciting for the baptism! L had hers a few weeks ago and it was such a special day. Are the pictures on Monday formal baptism pictures or just regular pictures? We meant to get nice shots of L in her gown, but still haven't.

AMC- I'm still trying to catch up with this thread, so I apologize for missing this. B is walking now? Fully walking?? Wow! What concerns do you have regarding his speech at 9 months?

AFU- Happy Memorial Day weekend. We are enjoying our time together at home/ getting projects done. It's also been a good few days of naps for L. It hasn't helped with her sleep, but I feel rested with DH home, so all is well. I love seeing all of the updates. I didn't realize how much I missed PS!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Hi PP! We are enjoying the long weekend too. B isn't walking but is pretty close. He can walk with me holding onto one of his hands and can stand for 10-15 seconds on his own. My concerns with his speech are his lack of consonants. He just started with M (mamamama) but that's it. No others. And the M just started in the last couple of weeks, after he turned 9 months.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
amc80|1369618646|3454241 said:
Hi PP! We are enjoying the long weekend too. B isn't walking but is pretty close. He can walk with me holding onto one of his hands and can stand for 10-15 seconds on his own. My concerns with his speech are his lack of consonants. He just started with M (mamamama) but that's it. No others. And the M just started in the last couple of weeks, after he turned 9 months.

Ah, ok. I see. L is kind of like that too. I've noticed she won't say M- I try to get her to say mama. She will "say" Papa, boob (haha- that's what I saw when she needs to BF), sounds that sound like our dog's name, and a barking noise when she sees a dog. I would say she started really saying those words around 9-10 months. She will be 11 months on the 4th. She wasn't much of a babbler in the early months, but I've noticed she's started to do it more often now. It sounds like B might be that way too? He will one day just start talking.

That's great he will stand alone for a little while! L sits down immediately when she realizes we've let go of her hand. Isn't it fun at this almost-walking stage? For me, it's nice knowing she still needs my help, but I can also see that she's not so much a little baby anymore!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
PP, the baptism went well. He smiled and giggled the whole way and kept trying to grab the hymnal out of his daddy's hands. We just had regular old pictures taken of him. A family member who is a semi-professional photographer took some pictures that day, so we have some good ones in his baptism outfit though.

amc, the "ma" sounds seems to be a tough one to master, at least it was for Ev. He says "dadada" all day long, but he has to really concentrate to say "ma." I've noticed he says "mama" a lot when is crying. Not sure if that is a compliment or not :)

Question for all of you. Do/did your babies eat a lot of solids at 7-8 months? Ev still only does an ounce or two of purees a day and is just not all that interested. Once in awhile, he'll have a full 3-4 ounces of sweet potatoes, but he usually starts spitting it out or just wanting to play with the spoon after a small amount. I'm just trying to figure out how much we should be pushing him or if it is not a big deal if he is still almost exclusively getting formula. At what age did you move on from purees? DH made fun of me for being worried about this and reminded me that Ev will probably not still be drinking Nutramigen from a bottle when he is 10.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1369850650|3455760 said:
amc, the "ma" sounds seems to be a tough one to master, at least it was for Ev. He says "dadada" all day long, but he has to really concentrate to say "ma." I've noticed he says "mama" a lot when is crying. Not sure if that is a compliment or not :)

Question for all of you. Do/did your babies eat a lot of solids at 7-8 months? Ev still only does an ounce or two of purees a day and is just not all that interested. Once in awhile, he'll have a full 3-4 ounces of sweet potatoes, but he usually starts spitting it out or just wanting to play with the spoon after a small amount. I'm just trying to figure out how much we should be pushing him or if it is not a big deal if he is still almost exclusively getting formula. At what age did you move on from purees? DH made fun of me for being worried about this and reminded me that Ev will probably not still be drinking Nutramigen from a bottle when he is 10.

Perhaps he was influenced by me saying mama all the time? :Up_to_something:

And yes, B eats tons of solids. He eats 3-4 4oz containers a day. Sometimes he will eat two full containers in a row. For breakfast I will usually make him a healthy portion of baby oatmeal (1/2 Cup or so) and mix an entire 4oz fruit puree with it and he will eat the whole thing. At 7-8 months he was probably eating 3 containers a day pretty regularly. He also gets 24-30oz of formula, plus cheerios, puffs, diced fruit, etc. He still has a really strong gag reflex though, although I've noticed it getting better the past week or two.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
MP, K is 7 months old now, and she eats 3 tbs of cereal mixed with 2-3 oz of formula or breast milk and one pouch of organic baby food a day plus about 4-5 4 oz bottles of formula/breast milk. The solids are 2 separate meals - she has the baby food is in the morning and the cereal later in the day. She sometimes will only eat 1/2 or 3/4 of a pouch of baby food at a time. She doesn't seem overly excited about the baby food, but she eats it without protest most of the time. We give her a sippy cup with water in it which she sips every few bites. She was 17 lbs at her 6 month check up and in the 50-something percentile for weight.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. I joined PS back in 2006 when I got married, but mainly have lurked over the past several years--originally in RockyTalk, SMTR, and Hangout, and more recently in the pregnancy thread and then this one. I am a first time mom and I have a 7 month old daughter (born 10/27/12) named Lila. She is an absolute joy and my husband and I feel very lucky to have her after trying for several years.

I wanted to come out of lurkdom for a moment to congratulate all of you moms and also thank you all for posting on a thread like this and making me feel more sane about L's development. It's been especially helpful to read posts from those of you with little ones around the same age as L (MonkeyPrincess, JGator and SunnyD)! I love reading about the older babies and the new ones as well--it's like a snapshot of what's to come and a reminder of how quickly those first precious couple of months of life flew by, but were still so wonderful.

Overall L is a happy little girl (when she's healthy--sigh, the crappy aspect of going to daycare). As of last week, she is just over 28 inches long and about 18 pounds. No teeth yet. She sits independently and has been rolling over from tummy to back for several months, but just figured out how to roll from back to tummy in the past week. She's pretty proud of herself when she does it, and we're glad because despite all the tummy time we've given her since birth, she's always disliked it and much preferred to be hanging out on her back. So now that she's rolls to her tummy by choice, she's much happier playing that way.

MonkeyPrincess, we started L on oatmeal back when she was about 5 months old and would give her some really runny stuff (1 tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with 1-2 ounces of formula) once a day each Saturday and Sunday. I wanted to feel comfortable that she didn't react to the oatmeal before I asked daycare to start feeding her. Anyway, L did really well with that and once she turned 6 months old, we started giving her 1 ounce of pureed veggies (e.g. sweet potatoes, peas, carrots or squash) in the morning, immediately followed by a 5oz bottle of formula. Then we added a second meal in the afternoon of 1 1/2 tablespoons of oatmeal (made thicker and using water, not formula) mixed with an ounce of pureed fruit (e.g. applesauce, pears, mango), again followed by a 5oz bottle of formula. She usually ends up only drinking about 4 out of the 5oz since the solids seem to fill her up some. So I guess she's only eating 2-4 ounces of solid food a day right now. We try to give her a sippy cup of water with each solids meal, but she's pretty disinterested in drinking water although she seems to know what to do with the sippy cup.

I have wondered myself if we're giving her enough solids as she seems interested (to the point of taking the spoon from me and feeding herself) and probably would be content to continue eating more than I'm giving her, but I've read/heard that babies this age should still be getting their primary nutrition from formula/breastmilk and eating solids is still more of a social thing. So I want to make sure she's still getting enough formula in a given day. We'll offer 6 5oz bottles a day, but she'll drink anywhere between 26-30oz depending on how hungry she is.

MP, I imagine E will start to eat more solids when he's ready and it will be sooner rather than later. As long as he's learning how to eat, that's the most important thing I would think.

Question for you guys... what time is bedtime? And how many hours of "night sleep" are your little ones getting? L has been going to bed around 9pm since she was probably 3 months old. She typically wakes up anywhere between 5am and 6:30am. Lately, she's been resisting her day naps, taking really short naps and/or dropping the late afternoon nap so she's pretty exhausted earlier in the evening although still happy and wanting to play. I haven't had any luck getting her to go down if I try around 7:30 or 8 though and she goes to sleep on her own and sleeps all night when she does go to bed at 9pm. But I'm worried that she's not getting enough "night sleep". I read something about how on average, babies around this age should be getting around 12 hours of night sleep and L is only getting between 8-9.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results