shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dani, how are things going with L? Have you returned to work yet? Our little guy LOVES the bath too and thinks it is the funniest thing when daddy makes him splash his hand in the water. Bath time is definitely the favorite time of day for all three of us!

Monarch, love the pictures in the tub. She looks so grown up sitting in the tub all by herself! And I love hot air balloons. There must be a lot of enthusiasts in our area because we see them all the time. I would be terrified to be in one, but they are fun to look at.

Fisher, hope you are doing well. Missy has started posted in the TTC thread again!

Lulu, two months already?! Just wanted to say that my niece had to have surgery for a blocked tear duct last year. They really dragged their feet on getting it down because who wants to make your child undergo surgery, but in the end, everything went just fine, and the problem was completely corrected. Hoping the condition clears up on its own for you though!

AMC, congrats on the move! We are looking at house right now and just saw a strong contender yesterday. While I am not looking forward to a mortgage, we are definitely feeling cramped in our house now that it has turned into a baby furniture store. Sounds like B is really growing up! And um, I saw you posting over there in the wanting but waiting thread. We all know what happened last time when you started to get the urge! ;-)

Sunnyd, hope everyone is on the mend at your house. E is all of sudden getting super close to rolling over. Not from his tummy to his back, but from his back to his tummy. It is so bizarre considering the kid hates being on his tummy. He is such a little weirdo :)

Kunzite, love the pics. Just looking at your pictures, I could have predicted who would be the troublemaker! He's got that glimmer in his eye! M kindo f looks like a gentle giant in the pics :)

Buttons, so interesting how different your advice is from the advice I got. I'm guessing somewhere in between is the ideal bath frequency. We were giving baths every other day, but switched to every day when his scalp started getting more and more scaly. Plus, he just loves his bath and starts squirming and giggling when I start undressing him and say "Bath Time"! Sorry to hear about your joints. My younger sister was diagnosed with RA when she was only 17, and I feel so bad for her because it sucks to be dealing with a condition like that when you are young. Hoping you get the relief you need. I think my sister is taking some drug that used for malaria and it seems to be helping a lot.

Haven, hope B's sleeping improves soon. And that's crazy about the breastmilk cure. I wish I still had some of my pumping stash leftover to try on Ev's skin! Love that rocking elephant, and I have lusted over it several times :)

AFU, we got back on the horse last night and took Ev out to dinner. He started getting fussy halfway through, so we warmed up the bottle with the Tommy Tippee bottle warmer/thermos, and it shut him right up and put him to sleep. Yay! I was definitely on edge and had my escape route plotted in case he decided to do a repeat performance of this weekend! Oh, and I'm so proud of myself because Ev has worn something other than a sleep n play for three out of four days this week. :lol:

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1360259483|3374499 said:
AMC, congrats on the move! We are looking at house right now and just saw a strong contender yesterday. While I am not looking forward to a mortgage, we are definitely feeling cramped in our house now that it has turned into a baby furniture store. Sounds like B is really growing up! And um, I saw you posting over there in the wanting but waiting thread. We all know what happened last time when you started to get the urge! ;-)

Haha, I did post over there. I also prefaced it by saying "wanting" is an overstatement. Although now I'm starting to accept the idea that we will have another. I think by November (when we plan to start) I'll be ready.

Of course, my readiness is directly correlated to how well B slept the night before. He was up twice last night, so my readiness is a bit less today, ha.

Buttons

Shiny_Rock
Monnie so sorry to hear you've been dealing with similar issues! I hope you can find some solution that helps you to heal while still being able to care for A... the bathtub photos are precious! :love: :love:

Kunzite the photos of your boys are making me melt. It must be stressful watching the horseplay but oh wow in the photos it is the cutest looking horseplay ever! As the other ladies said I'm sure the boys will learn in time how to handle E - at least there are two of them to gang up on him if needs be! :naughty:

Lliang there are I think two other GPs in this village but I haven't heard any recommendations for either of them and they are male and I prefer a lady doctor. There are villages about 10/15 mins away over windy country roads and I'd rather not have to do those journeys God forbid with a sick baby. Other than that it's 25 mins in to the city by motorway. In any event I really liked the nurse at the practise this morning and I only had a 5 min wait to see her so first impressions are excellent! Bootcamp was great, it was 15 minutes of cardio (just aerobics) followed by 30 minutes of circuit training (with the option of incorporating weights at each station) and then 15 minutes of pilates. You could do as much or as little as you liked and take it at your own pace. For the pilates bit we all put our babies on their blankets in front of our mats, which was fun. Helps too that the instructor is very easy on the eye and if a baby starts crying he picks 'em up and carries 'em round with him - what is it about handsome men carrying babies LOL?! ;))

sunny I would chance the BM on acne! It works a charm for cracked nipples so why not? :bigsmile: Sorry to hear about AF, that is sucky :( I am dreading her return. A whole year without her has been just bliss! The movie is supposed to be a comedy with 'mild humourous horror.' I might chance it. The baby matinee in the other cinema I used to go to apparently showed a full on horror movie for Hallowe'en, like Friday 13th or Scream or something. Eh, not such a good idea peeps?!?

amc you have my empathy on the move, we still haven't fully unpacked and we moved in the last week of November! :o Sorry to hear B is still poorly on and off but yippee for STTN, really hope that's a trend that continues for you! Your description of bathtime sounds like so much fun :bigsmile:

lulu how gorgeous is that photo?!? :love: :love: :love: Glad to hear Ellie's shots went off OK for her. In my book being clingy for a night after that is perfectly reasonable behaviour. I demanded extra cuddles and pampering myself after getting my travel vaccinations ;)) Yes motherhood sure is amazing and hard all rolled up in one isn't it? It's clear from that beautiful photo she is thriving and you are doing a great job :appl: :appl: :appl:

dani how are you guys?! :wavey:

monkey woohoo for almost rolling over! T is showing no inclinations of rolling in either direction just yet. Bathtime sounds like great fun in your house! T doesn't really do much in the bath, he just sits there looking at us like 'now what?'. He loves baby swimming though and kicks like a mad thing in the pool :bigsmile: I'm sorry to hear about your baby sister's RA, that sucks. Thanks for the info though, I am squirrelling that away for future use if needs be. Well done you on getting out for dinner again, and for Ev being a trooper and taking his bottle and letting ye enjoy your meal, and for actual clothes 3 days out of 4!!! :bigsmile:

===

AFU T had his 4 month shots this morning. First one of course he had no idea it was coming so the look of shock on his face was priceless. There's this split second before the wail of outrage where the mouth turns down and the eyes widen that is just hilarious - am I am awful Mammy for saying that? Then the wail starts and your heart just breaks! When I turned him round for the second shot the poor pet knew exactly what was coming and gave me this 'oh no you don't!!!' sort of look. It was over in a flash though and I offered him the boob for comfort but he didn't want it - he was way too busy smiling at the nurse and just being an outrageous flirt. He seems a little crankier and sleepier today since I got him home but that could also be the infant paracetamol they told me to give him to prevent any chance of a fever developing. Otherwise all good.

As for me I have to see the doc next week for a blood test to check for rheumatoid arthritis. While I was in the building I also made appointments for DH and I for dental check-ups - badly needed in both our cases. I am not DH's favourite person right now after doing that :bigsmile:

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AMC, don't you hate when your kids act like birth control? :lol: My desire to have another was directly correlated to how DS was behaving. Once, right after I found out I was pregnant with this one, I watched my sister's 3 boys. They're 13, 9 and 7. They're really great kids but, after that day, I was REALLY wondering what I had gotten myself into!

Buttons, I hope your testing goes well and your pains/weakness are just postpartum and nothing chronic.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
amc, I'm in the same boat. I have no idea where I'm at in my cycle right now (I started BC and then quit abruptly last month) and we have been intimate only once since Ev was born, but I was feeling really crampy and achy for two days straight earlier this week, so I used an OPK (I don't have any HPTs in the house). I was slightly disappointed when it came back stark white, even though (1) it really wouldn't have told me anything if it had been positive because it was an OPK, and (2) there was virtually no chance of me being pregnant. I seriously must be crazy!

Buttons, I'm so not looking foward to Ev's immunizations next week. DH wouldn't let me watch last time because I started tearing up when the nurse walked in with the syringes. Did T check out well otehrwise? Sending you good thoughts for your blood test results!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Buttons, exactly! I'm finding it very hard to learn when to step in and when to let them all work it out!

Can I ask a silly question.... :wacko: Does anyone worry about their baby whacking their head a lot? O had his fair share of tumbles, but he was mostly cautious. E is a terror!! He climbs onto everything in sight and promptly falls over and hits his head. Or if M is in the swing or jumperoo he gets under them and gets hit repeatedly! I feel like 90% of my day is trying to keep E from hitting his head! Surely it can't be good for him. Any solutions other than a helmet or my current strategy of following him around with an arsenal of pillows??

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kunzite, I haven't worried too much about A hitting her head. She does it pretty frequently, but never seems to be seriously hurt. The skull is there to protect the brain, so unless she bleeds or presents symptoms of a concussion I'm not going to keep her from bumping her head on stuff around the house. It's inevitable. My niece hit her head all the time, she used to fall off the couch onto the hardwood floor in my brother's home, and she's fine. Now, if you were talking about E hitting his head slipping and falling on concrete or falling down the stairs and crashing into a wall...obviously a problem. But random bumps? To my understanding, that's how they learn to be aware of themselves physically. My husband is like you, he wants to protect her and even tries to keep her from falling backwards after she's pulled herself up and I keep telling him that's how she's learning and that by interfering I feel he's impeding her development. Sounds harsh when I read it, but I don't mean it that way. Alex has never cried out of actual serious pain, she mostly cries out of surprise/shock. I offer comfort and 30 seconds later she's playing again. So there's my (long-winded) two cents. :bigsmile:

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Monnie, I agree with you, and with O didn't have a problem getting too worried... but E, well it's constant! I know it's probably okay still but I wish he would just stop! I never keep him from falling, since learning to stay up is the permanent solution to this problem, hence the strategically placed pillows :(

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about a really thick fleece hat for E? A has a couple that are really cushy and one even has a velcro chin strap so she can't take it off easily. At least he would have a little more padding between his head and whatever object...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite|1360268829|3374629 said:
Can I ask a silly question.... :wacko: Does anyone worry about their baby whacking their head a lot? O had his fair share of tumbles, but he was mostly cautious. E is a terror!! He climbs onto everything in sight and promptly falls over and hits his head. Or if M is in the swing or jumperoo he gets under them and gets hit repeatedly! I feel like 90% of my day is trying to keep E from hitting his head! Surely it can't be good for him. Any solutions other than a helmet or my current strategy of following him around with an arsenal of pillows??

B has a giant head and hits it all the time. Let's see, last night it was on the side of the bathtub. He was sitting, playing with his ducks, and one went out of reach. He leaned forward and ended up on his knees (he's never done this on the floor, but has twice in the bath), which resulted in his head hitting the tub. He didn't seem to notice or care. It was a pretty loud thunk though! He also will fall back occasionally when sitting....and that will result in him crying. I don't worry about it, I figure he's going to injure himself a lot more than that once he is mobile.

puppmom said:
AMC, don't you hate when your kids act like birth control? :lol:

Right? The only thing I have to comfort myself is that even if I got pregnant now, we'd still have 9 months to prepare...and surely B will be sleeping better by then! :roll:

Buttons said:
amc you have my empathy on the move, we still haven't fully unpacked and we moved in the last week of November! :o Sorry to hear B is still poorly on and off but yippee for STTN, really hope that's a trend that continues for you! Your description of bathtime sounds like so much fun :bigsmile:

Moving sucks, but moving with a baby is 10x worse. It's fine if he's napping, but otherwise I can only get things done in 15 minute increments.

monkeyprincess said:
amc, I'm in the same boat. I have no idea where I'm at in my cycle right now (I started BC and then quit abruptly last month) and we have been intimate only once since Ev was born, but I was feeling really crampy and achy for two days straight earlier this week, so I used an OPK (I don't have any HPTs in the house). I was slightly disappointed when it came back stark white, even though (1) it really wouldn't have told me anything if it had been positive because it was an OPK, and (2) there was virtually no chance of me being pregnant. I seriously must be crazy!

It's weird, I think I'm more excited about the process of getting pregnant (um, not THAT process....) than actually being pregnant. Did we time it right? Is there a line? Maybe if I hold it just right I can see something??? That sort of thing. Having a baby sounds exhausting and being pregnant, well....no thanks. But I always have thought it would be fun to have a surprise baby, just not right now!

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi girls :wavey:

Sorry it's been so long since I REALLY checked in. MP, I'm so jealous that you can take Ev out to a restaurant....L would never have that!!! For the most part, he is a good kid, but he has definitely become high maintenance in his own right. He never likes to sit too log, he likes to be held a lot, and moving all the time. He doesn't sleep well.....only takes 3, 45 minute cat naps throughout the day, and then at night, he does sleep from about 630 pm till 1130-12am, but then he is up every 3 hours after that to nurse. It's exhausting. I keep thinking one of these nights maybe he will just drop the 3 am feeding and sleep from midnite after eating till 5 or 6 am, but that hasn't happened yet. It's very frustrating.
I haven't returned to work yet....but I think I'm ready to go back. I am nervous about my lack of sleep situation though. I am getting a little depressed being home day after day, by myself, with no one to interact with but a 4 month old! Don't get me wrong, I love my son more than life, but I think it's time I get back a little to my previous life! I am going to work a shift at the hospital next weekend ( Im still per diem there), and I'm starting back at the office the first week of March. I am very sad and nervous about leaving him, but I really don't have a choice. The great thing is that my Mom will be watching him, and I will only be working part time, so hopefully everything will work out for the best. The thing that's really stressing me out is having to pump while I'm at work and the timing of everything with the bf. Anyone have any tips?

Mp and amc, good luck with the house hunting! You are lucky you are buying now that you have a child and know what you really need in a home. We bought our house pre- kiddo, and while it was great for just the 2 of us, it's really not working now. It's really too small, but more importantly, the layout sucks!!! We have a ranch with a finished basement, and with a small baby, even if you are not the one that's " on, " and you're trying to sleep, you hear EVERYTHING!!!!! Don't know when it will happen, but I really just can't wait to move in a few years!

Sunny and Buttons, how are you gals doing? Your kiddos are super cute!!! Hope you're well!!!
Hi to everyone else!! :wavey:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dani, going back to work is stressful; a lot of us have done it but it can work in regard to bfing. The "pumpers unite" thread is pretty great if you have time to read through it. Otherwise, get your pump and bag prepped for mobility, plan your pumps to create a stash now if you haven't already so your mom has bottles for baby, then plan your work breaks or slow times at work around pumping if that's what you think will work for you and baby. Talk to whomever you report at work about your return and your needs before you go back. Try to designate set times to take care of pumping needs as well as your own break. (you need to take care of just you, too!)

You can do this!!! :appl:

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Dani, you are lucky you will only be working part-time. I really think that would be the ideal situation because you will get to reconnect with people and not always just be "mommy," but you will not feel like you are overwhelmed or cheated out of time with your son. I may try to negotiate part-time at some point. Going out to eat is getting more difficult for us. Ev used to go into some sort of trance from the warmth and cozyness of the carseat and the white noise of the restaurant, but now that he is more aware of things, he doesn't stay asleep or want to be in his seat while he is awake. We just figured that we better enjoying going out as much as we can now because it will be even harder in the next few years with a toddler! Oh, and I totally feel for you on the sleeping thing. Sounds like our boys have very similar patterns. I about wanted to slap my friend who told me her son who is a week younger than Ev is sleeping from 11 to 8 every night.

AMC, that's funny that you are looking forward to the TTC part. Given my history, I am really not looking forward to that part. Come to think of it, I'm really not looking forward to being pregnant either, or at least not the third trimester. I think for me, I just want to know that we will be able to get pregnant again, and I would LOVE for it to happen naturally. I also love the idea of seeing what another baby of ours would like and what his or her personality would be like, and hopefully, it won't be as tempermental as Ev! Just kidding, kind of.

One more thing, at his ped's suggestion, we tried using hydrocortisone ointment on Ev's scalp and forehead because he had been scratching himself a lot and looking a bit rough. It worked wonders! His scales and scratch marks are all nearly gone. I'm so pleased.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
monkeyprincess|1360336633|3375219 said:
AMC, that's funny that you are looking forward to the TTC part. Given my history, I am really not looking forward to that part. Come to think of it, I'm really not looking forward to being pregnant either, or at least not the third trimester. I think for me, I just want to know that we will be able to get pregnant again, and I would LOVE for it to happen naturally. I also love the idea of seeing what another baby of ours would like and what his or her personality would be like, and hopefully, it won't be as tempermental as Ev! Just kidding, kind of.

One more thing, at his ped's suggestion, we tried using hydrocortisone ointment on Ev's scalp and forehead because he had been scratching himself a lot and looking a bit rough. It worked wonders! His scales and scratch marks are all nearly gone. I'm so pleased.

I'm definitely not looking forward to pregnancy. I spent the first 16 weeks of it trying not to throw up and the last 11 weeks dealing with preterm contractions and high blood pressure. Ugh.

Hydrocortisone rocks. B has some eczema patches and a little bit of the cream clears it right up.

And here's B who is 6 months today! We had to buy him new pants (AGAIN) because he grew out of the 9m size...on to 12m!

28908_4655422695805_1833539061_n.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi girls!

Sorry I haven't posted much, but as we all know this motherhood thing is crazy busy!! Oscar is doing well, his sleep patterns have really changed a lot lately, I really have to encourage daytime naps and I'm lucky to get more than 45 minutes at a time out of him. He has also decided that 7pm is bedtime, and not 9pm like it was last week!

At my mother's group, the child health nurses are all about self-soothing and self-settling from an early age, and it is really stressing me out! O is only 8 weeks old and they are enforcing the importance of getting him to sleep on his own, which he won't have a bar of... do 8 week old babies even have the ability to put themselves to sleep without our help?! Does anyone else practise this?

Oh and here is an updated pic!

mum_and_oscar_2.jpg

amc80

Ideal_Rock
DanDiAnDi said:
Hi girls!

Sorry I haven't posted much, but as we all know this motherhood thing is crazy busy!! Oscar is doing well, his sleep patterns have really changed a lot lately, I really have to encourage daytime naps and I'm lucky to get more than 45 minutes at a time out of him. He has also decided that 7pm is bedtime, and not 9pm like it was last week!

At my mother's group, the child health nurses are all about self-soothing and self-settling from an early age, and it is really stressing me out! O is only 8 weeks old and they are enforcing the importance of getting him to sleep on his own, which he won't have a bar of... do 8 week old babies even have the ability to put themselves to sleep without our help?! Does anyone else practise this?

Dandi- I think 8 weeks is a bit early, but that's just my opinion. I always helped B go to sleep until, I don't know, 4-5 months? And now (at 6m) he goes to sleep both on his own and in my arms. He can do either just fine. But maybe I just got lucky.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1360425009|3376061 said:
DanDiAnDi said:
Hi girls!

Dandi- I think 8 weeks is a bit early, but that's just my opinion. I always helped B go to sleep until, I don't know, 4-5 months? And now (at 6m) he goes to sleep both on his own and in my arms. He can do either just fine. But maybe I just got lucky.

AMC, how did you get him to go to sleep on his own? N goes down on his own at bedtime but I rock him for naps.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
mayerling said:
AMC, how did you get him to go to sleep on his own? N goes down on his own at bedtime but I rock him for naps.

I didn't do anything, he just did it. If I know he is tired I can put him in his swing or crib. He will usually fuss for a few minutes and then fall asleep.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
dandiandi, don't worry too much at the moment. 6-8 weeks is the peak of young babies' unsettled behaviour and it will get easier to transition himself to self-settling as he comes down from that peak. S mostly fell asleep on her own from the start but stopped doing so during the day at around 6 weeks. We did a couple of weeks of intensive shush-patting from about 7 weeks and she went back to self-settling, but to be honest I have no idea whether it was a natural thing that she would have done anyway, or whether what we did made any difference. Perhaps if anything it helped us avoid creating new sleep associations for her... but in any case, do not worry about bad habits too much now, unless it's something that really bothers you. I have seen parents go too far the other way many times and end up creating sleep associations that are difficult to break even up to around the 12m+ mark, but in general as long as you're thinking about it and re-evaluating things every now and then it's hard to do anything "wrong"!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amc and pancake, thank so much for taking the time to reply. I honestly have no problem cuddling O to sleep, I actually love it! Shush-patting works too, eventually, but O often gets a bit worked up in the meantime, it seems gentler to pick him up and settle him, though so many people around me tell me I shouldn't. He's not even 2 months old yet, what harm could there be on cuddling a teeny baby? Sheesh! I can't help but get a bit worked up about it. So pancake is settling after shush-patting seen as 'self-settling'?

Geez I need to stop over thinking this!!! :knockout:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Dandi, don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can "spoil" a young baby - you cannot!!! Re shush-patting, it's not self-settling as it's with help, but it's in the cot/bassinet which is why it's a good transitional technique if you're keen for bub to learn to fall asleep in his own bed.

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
Dandi, you CANNOT spoil a baby. You do what you need to get your baby to sleep and some sleep for yourself! K used to fall asleep on her own (ie, we would put her to sleep wide awake and she would just look around for a while and eventually fall asleep). She currently usually falls asleep on her own eating or just in her bouncy chair and then we put her to sleep - otherwise, she cries. And, she's 3.5 months old. Also, Dandi, Oscar is too cute - I miss that small, cuddly size!

AMC, B is so handsome and tall!

Anyone have an exersaucer or jumperoo? We are thinking of getting one soon for K. I see the Rainforest Jumperoo gets great reviews on Amazon. Are those okay for the baby's legs/back?

AFU, K has a new thing where she wakes up to eat at 3 or 4 or 5am and again 2 hours later. She used to sleep until 7am (after going to bed at 11pm or 12am). I think she is approaching the next leap so hopefully it will not be too difficult for us and her - she will be 15 weeks tomorrow. She is super talkative now - I have taken several videos of her having conversations with herself - and she also sometimes looks like she is chewing gum.

20130206_215219__1_.jpg

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
:wavey: :wavey: hi, mamas!

ok, not trying to jinx myself, but Ellie has slept 7-8 hours the past 2 nights. should I be getting up to pump if she keeps this up? I've slept straight thru (heavenly) but have woken up w/ rock hard boobs & lots of leaking on my breast pads. also, I'm worried, what if she doesn't keep it up? I pump then she wakes up off schedule (like after 4-5 hours)?

jgator k's soo cute--love those bright, shiny eyes!

dandi count me in the boat of you can't spoil a baby as young as O. you keep doing what you think is best for him! love that pic!

amc I can't get over B's hair! it's the cutest thing ever! and he looks so happy :)

mp so glad you gave going out to a restaurant another shot. even happier that it worked out!

big hello to everyone else...we're off for a little bath time now!!

JGator

Brilliant_Rock
lulu, I think you should pump. I didn't wake up to pump, and now my milk production is way down. K is getting half formula and half pumped milk now. I never had a great supply though, but I do remember waking up with hard leaky breasts, and that never happens now.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Jgator- we have an excersaucer. B started really loving it around 5m. Is currently entertaining himself with it and letting me get some stuff done around the house ;-) We've got the Triple Fun model. Unfortunately, the height max is 30" so he maybe has another month with it. He's got a jumperoo at daycare and he loves that as well.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Here he is having fun.

image-989592728.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc and JGator, your babies are so incredibly beautiful!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

pancake, thankyou so much for your sound advice, I was starting to wonder if I had it all wrong! :sick: S is such a lucky bubba to have such an awesome mummy.

Thankyou ladies so much for your advice and support, I guess as a FTM I'm finding it hard to filter out all of the conflicting advice I'm getting from here, there and everywhere. One thing I have done in the last few days is be far more diligent at getting O down for naps every hour or so, rather than waiting for him to start showing tired signs, which usually then leads to him being cranky and overtired. Sometimes he goes straight down, sometimes he fights with me a bit. He is also consistently sleeping 10 hour stretches at night... bliss!

I just had to add this in too, in light of my concerns re. self-settling etc... O just woke from his nap after 45 minutes and started to cry. I would usually get him up as trying to settle him back to sleep NEVER works during the day, but just this time I watched him from the doorway. After a minute of grizzling he put himself back to sleep! :o He never ceases to amaze me!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hehe I just popped Oscar in his cot awake 1 hour after his last nap, purely experimental... the little bugger went right off to sleep :twirl:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh another question ladies, how often do you bath your newborns? O is nearly 9 weeks old and I've been bathing him every second day, but the skin on his forehead is so flakey and dry. Is it too often? Or should I put something in his bath water to stop his skin drying out? I'd love to bath him every night as part of his bedtime routine as it settles him right down, but I'm worried about drying his skin out even more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results