shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommy Thread-Newborn to 12 months!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
DC, Wow! She's gorgeous! I grew up in FL, (Miami) so I think that swim lessons are a MUST. J and I feel the same way so Ethan will be learning how to swim. He doesn't have to do swim team or anything, but it's seriously a survival skill. I'm glad your little lady's surgery helped. Poor little thing with the ear infections.

Rachel, We had a bassinet in our bedroom, PnP in our living room and crib in his room. And our condo is tiny. We were loaned the bassinet, otherwise I wouldve just used the Pnp in our bedroom. Anyway, the PnP would be helpful if you think you'll be traveling a lot, or if your LO will be potentially sleeping in areas that are not your home. Like if you have a bunch of friends and you guys hang out a lot together. I go over to my sister's a lot so I wanted the PnP. Ethan and I actually spent the past 2 nights at my sister's place, and TBH, the PnP when dragged right next to the bed, was as accessible as an arm's reach, but I imagine the Arm's Reach might be easier to move around for YOU to get in and out of bed?

AFU: Ethan's 12 wks... We went to his daycare today to pick up his enrollment paperwork and met his teachers. Still pretty happy about our choice with this daycare. It was super gorgeous out, so we did a family walk there and back. Other news, Ethan's sleeping through the night :appl: If you count 6 hrs STTN. I do, since that's about what I get anyway. Huzzah! Just in time for Mommy to head back to work. Good boy Ethan!

~LC

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy 1st Mother's day you beautiful mommas!!! :appl:

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
Quick post from my phone...will do a proper post later.

What bottle system do you ladies use? I bought some Evenflo glass bottles that came with traditional slow-flow nipples, but they aren't slow enough. Our LC suggested NUK nipples, but I couldn't find any wide neck glass bottles that they would work on. A has also been having a harder time nursing today, and I'm wondering if it's due to the NUK orthodontic nipples' weird shape.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
S&I, I've only used Avent and Dr. Brown bottls (and now only use Avent), so I might not be any help. But, one of the ladies in my mom group thought the slow flow nipples were too fast for her newborn, so she used the Dr. Brown premie nipples until her baby was about 2 months old.

LC, I'm so glad Ethan is giving you 6 hour stretches! You might even get a 7-hour stretch by the time you go back to work. Even though Katie has always been a good sleeper, I find it a little relieving knowing that she's just going to continue to give me longer and longer stretches. Right now I'm transitioning her out of the swaddle and wasn't sure what kind of impact it would have on her sleep schedule. So far, so good. Now I just need to get her in her crib.

The Ethan pics are adorable! I still can't believe that head of hair--K had a lot of hair when she was born, but she's lost some and has some thin patches now.

Missrachel, I don't have a co-sleeper, so I'm probably not much help, but I find PnPs pretty handy. I love how portable they are and K has always slept well in hers (we have one downstairs for daytime naps). When she was itty bitty, we used the bassinet that attached to the PnP. When she got a little older I put her in the boppy in the PnP and now she just lies flat in it.

In our bedroom we've used the Snugabunny rock and play sleeper. Even though K never had reflux, she's always really liked it. By one month she was giving me 4-5 hour stretches and now at 3 months I'm consistenly getting 8 -9 hour stretches of sleep. I'm not sure if the RnP has anything to do with how soundly she sleeps at night, but I've been afraid of putting her in her crib because I don't want to rock the boat. Also, the RnP folds up with the push of a button and I can take it anywhere.

Skippy, happy mother's day to you, too!

dcgator, such a cute pic of Sophia clapping. I can't belive how many ear infections she's had, I'm so glad the tubes seem to be doing the trick! And it's great to hear she's such a good traveller! Happy 9-month b-day to her!

Janine and Skippy, thanks for the Enfamil info. Janine, you were right about the refill sizes I was looking at. Sounds like I should just call Enfamil and get the coupons.

AFU, started the new mom class today and it went well. I do think Katie is in the midst of a wonder week because she is still more on the fussy side, especially with her bottle. She's not taking a full bottle and is snacking all the time. Also, she seems to be changing every single day. She's really been resisting her swaddle, so I'm transitioning her out of it. She started liking to sleep on flat surfaces (usually prefers an incline), she is able to hold onto things longer and is talking a little more...though still not laughing. And her easy sleep, eat, play schedule is no more. She's awake more during the day, so I'm getting fewer naps. I THINK she might be starting to create some type of schedule, but it's too early to say. I'm just amazed at how much things have changed in just a week.

Oh, and D is changing diapers these days!

Happy mother's day to all the new mamas!

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
happy mothers day ladies!! :))

Janine- not sure if you found one already, but i kept my eye out for a sale and within a month i found my 2011 city mini double on clearance through albeebaby for $299 (no tax/free ship)... i had to get the purple color, but whatever purple is not so bad! ;)) if you are not in a rush sales do pop up from time to time

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
just a quick post about Enfamil; I found it at Costco for $43 which makes it .82 cents an ounce and at Target and Amazon it is .95 approx an ounce so cheaper at Costco. just an fyi.

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Hope you mamas don't mind me poking my head in over here to ask a question 8)

What crib mattresses did you ladies purchase for your little ones and why? I'm totally lost and overwhelmed.

I don't really want to spend more than $250 on one. Some days I think, "Just go to Ikea!" and other days I think, "Oh no! The off-gassing! I must purchase a Naturepedic!" I'm losing all sense of what is reasonable and important in purchasing a mattress, besides firmness.

I'm looking at some Nautrepedics and Moonlight Slumbers. Are there other brands I should keep my eyes on?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
PilsnPinkysMom|1337048528|3195376 said:
Hope you mamas don't mind me poking my head in over here to ask a question 8)

What crib mattresses did you ladies purchase for your little ones and why? I'm totally lost and overwhelmed.

I don't really want to spend more than $250 on one. Some days I think, "Just go to Ikea!" and other days I think, "Oh no! The off-gassing! I must purchase a Naturepedic!" I'm losing all sense of what is reasonable and important in purchasing a mattress, besides firmness.

I'm looking at some Nautrepedics and Moonlight Slumbers. Are there other brands I should keep my eyes on?

I will chime in real quick. I have a baby that had reflux, lots of spit up and blow outs (poop coming out). Not sure if you will have this baby, but you will be changing sheets often. I had twins so I bought one mattress (one baby came home earlier then the other). So I learned that the heavy mattresses are hard to change in the middle of the night (and hard on your back). :knockout: If you really want a organic mattress there is one that is very light. I found it on Baby Gizmo? Let me do research because I know another momma who owns it and it costs the same as the Nautrepedic. At the end of the day I was okay with not having an organic mattress because Britax carseats win the award for off gas and lots of moms buy those and they are pretty expensive. My twins are asleep right now or I would tell you which mattress I bought for them; I will look and then post later

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
I personally prefer foam mattresses so I have a Colgate Classica I used for my 20 month old and now passed down to my 4 month old and it is a wonderful firm mattress that has held up really well- retails for around $150. My 20 month old has a Saftey 1st Sweet Dreams mattress which is slighty softer and retails for $39 from walmart which has also been really great.

Other than firmness of the mattress, making sure the mattress fits correctly in the crib is also important (no gaps). Usually when you purchase a crib it will say what size mattress to get to ensure a proper fit. I also second Skippy on mattress weight- lighter weight mattresses are definetly easier to change sheets!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hello ladies! I hope you all had a WONDERFUL first mother's day!!

PPM, I can't comment much on mattresses as I'm in Australia, but the main thing is picking a firm one that fits the crib properly. Other than that, the baby is unlikely to care!

NEL, Katie is 12 weeks right? It sounds like she's fussing similarly to the way S was a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like things are definitely changing - how exciting!!! I am still so envious of your big long stretch of sleep overnight, but I suppose I can't complain as S is such a good daytime sleeper at the moment.

S&I, can't believe Alex is a month old already, where did the time go??? Re bottles, we use Tommy Tippee bottles; I think just because they were on sale when I bought them :lol: I know they are supposed to be "closer to nature" and all that jazz, but babies are not stupid - they KNOW that it's not a boob! Sylvie doesn't like it much either way, but she will drink from it. She's using the number 2 teats which I think are suggested for use from 3 months - she was on the slow flow teats but was getting super-frustrated and giving up after something pitiful like 70ml (when I would have expected her to take, say, 120ml).

DCgator, Sophia is gorgeous!! Such an exciting age. Glad the grommets have solved the ear issues.

LC, Ethan is so super-cute, and WOW, look at that hair! Such soulful eyes too. How exciting that he is STTN!! I think they do say that 6 hours is STTN; personally I think for me STTN also involves the 6 hour stretch being at the right time (which in our case is sometimes the case but also quite often not). Re the stroller - it is our day-to-day workhorse in that I take it out pretty much every day for running errands, going to mothers' group, going to the park, etc etc. However, it's not my travel/car stroller - I use the Mini for that (took it on the plane over the weekend and it was great!). I think the Select is a little chunky and heavy to be used as a go-everywhere stroller, but I do know families that use it as that. I also know lots of people that use the Mini as their only stroller. I really like the Mini, but I love the proper tyres of the Select and I love the substantial feel of it when I'm pushing it.

Bobbin, how are you and Charlotte faring?

AFM, the dad situation is still getting more and more complicated. I feel like my mother, my siblings and I are just sort of standing in the middle of an open field and people are just chucking missiles at us from all directions. Dad is still staying at Mum's house, and despite the fact that she does EVERYTHING for him and their finances and affairs are still enmeshed (no divorce yet, so no settlement), Dad appointed an enduring financial of attorney outside of the family - an old family friend who clearly sided with my father and alienated my mother after their separation. So Mum is distraught; initially I thought my father wasn't competent to appoint a power of attorney so I had planned to challenge it at the state tribunal, but today we had a long discussion and whilst Dad is not always competent, he was absolutely competent today when we talked, and I do believe he was competent when he signed it. So there is really no forum for recourse there. Then, one of his brothers sent me an email detailing the flights of a couple of my aunts and uncles over the next few weeks, but made the cardinal error of including the entire thread of emails between the siblings - and at the bottom of the email was one from him to the others that mentioned that my mother was "playing the waiting game [for the payout at the end]", that my siblings and I were "doing the minimum", that as an extended family they should "reach out to QN [me]", essentially to give me the impression that they were supportive so that I would do what they wanted me to do, and that "this is a Greek tragedy, or a comedy, depending on how you look at it". I am disgusted, disappointed and hurt - what they see as theatrics actually involves PEOPLE and I am tired of my family being nothing but collateral damage in all of this.

Anyway, my mum is totally burnt out, a crying mess a lot of the time, lashing out at other times (mostly at me, ugh), and my father still wants to live in his own home and says he would rather live there with carers he doesn't know than in the family home. So now I am investigating in-home care options, which are incredibly expensive, but heck - he can afford it, and if it buys my family some of our sanity back, then I am all for it. Siiiiiiigggghhhhh.

AFU, Sylvie had her first plane trip on the weekend, a 2 hour trip up north as we tagged along for her dad's conference! She cried a bit on the way up (was tired and over it) but on the way down I figured out I could wear her in the Ergo during the flight and she slept the whole time! She seems to have settled back into her old sleeping ways and now wakes for her morning feed around 6, sleeps until around 10am, then has 2 hour naps at lunchtime and in the afternoon. Don't know how long it will last but am enjoying it while it does! I am getting 1 x 6-7 hour stretch overnight and then I go back to sleep when she does in the morning.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
PnPsmom, I think I ended up getting the Sealy Soybean Foam Care mattress. I still only use the crib for naps, but so far so good. Also, I use the ultimate crib sheet, so I would only change that if K has a blowout. It goes on top of the fitted sheet, so no stripping the bed. Luckily, K has never had a blowout while sleeping.

Pancake and LC, I'm also on the brink of getting a second ligthweight stroller. I think I'm going to go with the Uppababy G-luxe, but still haven't pulled the trigger. Pancake, is Sylvie actually IN the stroller now? The only reason I haven't gotten the second stroller is because I'm still putting the carseat on our heavier storoller (the Bumbleride). I haven't actually put Katie in the stroller yet. Just curious when that transition happens.

And Pancake, I am so, so sorry your father continues to be a PITA. I really think in-home care is the best option. Your mother is going to go insane caring for him--his selfish attitude will not get better. And if he can afford it, then great. Let a nurse deal with his crap and you and your mom can have a break. I'm just so agitated for you.

AFU, Katie was diagnosed with acid reflux.

The doc thinks she's had it for months, but it's finally eaten away enough at her esophogus to cause a problem. K was screaming half-way through feedings. She was really fussy and just seemed pretty miserable. I think the rock and play was keeping her happy at night, but I've been struggling with day sleep for weeks and now I'm wondering if the reflux is the reason.

Anyway, things got worse before they got better. I started using Enfamil A.R. (added rice) and adding rice cereal to my breastmilk. But the thicker milk was clogging the bottle nipples, so she would have a couple of ounces and fall asleep. I finally took a needle to the nipples this morning and ripped slits so she could eat. She devoured a bottle and immediately fell asleep. She's been asleep for 2.5 hours now--she hasn't had a daytime nap like this in a month!

I'm hoping her reflux is mild enoug that the thicker mixture is all she needs, but we'll see.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
NEL, thanks for the support, as always. I appreciate it so much! I spent this morning talking to various in-home care services, getting quotes and brochures, and then I went to meet up with a couple of mums from mothers' group. I talked to them about the situation too (it is so much easier speaking to people who haven't known me for a long time... I don't know why, I suppose just because it's all so complicated) and I feel a bit more settled today.

Re the second stroller - S is in the stroller seat in both the Select and the Mini. The Mini reclines to around 150 degrees, so it's suitable from the start. The Select's seat is specified to be for 6 months and up, but I switched S from bassinet to seat (reclined) at about 10 weeks, and it's been absolutely fine - she is much happier in it, actually. I still put an infant headhugger in both strollers. Initially I had planned to buy an umbrella stroller as our second stroller and the two I looked at were the Uppababy G-Luxe (same as you), and the Peg Perego Pliko Mini. I couldn't test-drive the Uppababy as they are not available here, but I REALLY liked the Peg, and it reclines almost fully too so is fine for young babies. Plus it has a very big hood for an umbrella stroller, really important in the baking Australian sun!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
PPM: I would not over stress the mattress, like with all baby products you can drive yourself crazy and in the end the best thing to do is to focus on the basics and necessities. WIth the mattress - make sure it is firm and a tight fit in the crib. Read reviews or feedback on this. I think I went with a Sealy middle of the road one, certainly wasn't 250 and is not organic. After I bought it there was a lot of furor over chemicals in the FR, but I decided this was not a deal breaker (and many are now free of the toxins which caused the concern) and we've been happy with our mattress which we're now using for #2.

NEL: Oh, how is K doing today. I love how you cut the slits in the nipple to help her....awww, so Mama Bear like :). How did you determine it was AR? I thought ususally they spit up a lot with that? Poor thing, has to be painful. For a 2nd stroller we picked got the Mac Quest. No one gave it great reviews but I always liked the Maclaren and tired of lugging big strollers..I have a low tolerance for any kind of bulky stroller. It's worked well for us - on trips and planes.

Pancake: I'm so sorry you are still going through this - I hope there is some resolution soon or a way you can pull away for a bit. Pulling away and taking care of your core needs (baby, day to day) is sometimes really important. S sounds like she is doing wonderful meanwhile.

Not much new here, planning summer trips as I'm getting antsy. Looking at the Cape again (I remember asking about it this time last year, doh!! We ended up at MV last year, but this year I think we're going to try to stay land bound). We're doing an overnight in NYC in a few weeks, let's see what A thinks of that! We won't overdo it though and in preparation, I bought the BJCMD. Couldn't take losing out on the CL ones anymore (they literally sell in minutes!). A is doing great, I think 6-7 mo's is an awesome age, They are engaged more and just smiling and laughing at everything. A has one dimple and it's so cute!
Oh LC, you asked what age my eldest started to "like" the baby..I'd say when the baby was around 4 months. She still has jealous moments, but now I think she's become attached which is what changed things. I guess it makes sesnse-a parent is immediately bonded but it takes time for a sibling, especially when they are 3 and not understanding who this stranger is! For fun I'll ask her if I should get another baby and she's quiet and says "No, Just this one." Haha, good thing she said that.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Quick drive-by post when I'm still pumping.

Pancake, I hope you find a great in-home provider. I have a feeling he is not gonig to be an easy patient, so hopefully you'll get somebody who can put up with his crap, haha. I'm so glad you have the mom group as some type of outlet. And thanks for the stroller info. Our bumbleride has a full incline, so may start trying it. K has always hated her car seat.

Janine, a vacation to the cape sounds amazing. Where on the cape do you think you'll end up? Or are you still doing all of that research? I swear that I daydream about vacations all the time these days. Ah well, the day will come. Until then I want to hear more about yours!

AFU, awful evening, awful morning. I've screamed in the bathroom multiple times now, which makes me feel bad but I'm at my wit's end. Husband is on a business trip. I spent a chunk of the night researching this and have a few tricks to try. I used one this morning with moderate success.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
NEL: Oh no, you poor thing! Is it the AR that you are researching? When is DH coig home? Do you have a relative nearby who can come give you a hand. We all need a break and it's ok to scream in the bathroom. I had those moments too, especially with 2. Hopefully K will nap soon so you can take a breather.

Re: the Cape, looking @ Chatham and Brewster. I know nothing about these towns, but they were recommended. Problem is the resorts are way too $, but renting a home seems a bit isolated too. It's probably a bit early to be taking these vacations but like you, I've ben dreaming of it and alot of friends are doing Europe this year, and I just want to do SOMETHING.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Pancake, :nono: So disappointed in your dad's family. Do NOT let them get to you. If your dad prefers home care then do it. My MIL is using home care and there are some very good companies that have very professional staff that can help with all sorts of needs. Don't sweat AT ALL. It's the best thing for everyone. If there's any flak to catch (as there might be with "familial obligation"), first and foremost, this was *his* choice, and secondly, the home care staff is better skilled and equipped to provide for his needs. If they give you grief about being a doctor, you're PEDIATRICIAN. So unless your father magically becomes 10 yrs old, you are NOT the best professional to help him. Additionally, nurses are the people that provide CARE to patients anyway. No offense to doctors, but they're just in and out in 10 mins, and only know TREATMENT.
Any tips for traveling with a bubs? Ethan will be flying next week to visit MIL & the rest of our families. Hooray for S giving you the 6-7 hr stretch :) What a good girl being so nice to Mommy.

NEL, Poor sweet Katie! I'm glad your pedi caught the AR and she's eating and sleeping like a champ again. I hate to hear that sweetheart had a rough go for a while, but fingers crossed the added rice will be all she needs. Page Skippy for some advice, I believe Miles had pretty bad AR too. I was thinking of the Uppa G-Luxe too. That and the Maclaren Techno XT. I have put Ethan IN the Bob stroller, but I put his snuzzler around him so he's not flopping around too much. HUGS, sorry your DH is OOT and you're on your own.

Janine, how do you like the Mac.Quest? I haven't heard of that one. Does it recline enough for A to get a nap? Oooh, a summer trip sounds fantastic! Where do you mean when you say "The Cape". For some reason I'm thinking you're on the East Coast. I hope things are going well with your ILs. AW so cute DD1's response about getting another baby. I totally know what you mean about day dreaming about vacations. I tell my friends I'm vacationing vicariously through them :)

AFU: Ethan's going through a growth spurt has been eating like crazy and sleeping a ton. TOday is my birthday, hooray! But DH is making me figure everything out. He always does this, never really takes any part in planning anything, just relies on me and sis to plan OUR OWN BIRTHDAY. It's annoying. But not worth loosing sleep over. We'll probably order in, not sure what. Toss up between tasty Cuban food, or sushi I think.

Ethan's been drinking out of bottles more. He's nursing again but only 5-10 mins on each breast. So I'm pumping again. As long as he's getting his milk, I'm happy.

I can't upload any more pics since I think I broke my camera cable. :( Doh! Off to do some shopping today. Need to buy Sis a birthday present too. I think I'll get her a Le Creuset dutch oven. She's been wanting one. Off to pump now while Ethan's snoozing.

~LC

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Janine, sorry, I forgot to answer your AR question. So K was spitting up a little, but not much. The doc thinks that the acid was only coming up to her throat, not all the way out. She thinks K's esophogus is agitated which is why she's resisting the bottle. Biggest issues I had were that she was refusing to eat more than a couple of ounces at a time and she was wanting to be upright (suddenly hated her activity mat, etc.). Chatham and Brewster both sound great!! I don't think it's too early to be thinking about a vacation, I think a relaxing time on the beach would be great for the family.

Oh and a friend just stopped by--she has a 2 year old and a 4-month old, so she's a great resource for me. Just having her here to chat seemed to help me relax. K took a full bottle while she was here, which was great. I think the fact that I was more relaxed helped her to be relaxed, too.

LC, today is your birthday? Happy birthday!! Yesterday was mine and D wasn't even here, haha. Enjoy dinner, whatever you choose! I just asked my friend about the G-luxe (she has one as a second stoller) and she said that if she had to do it over again, she'd get the Mac. The G-luxe apparently doesn't have a leg rest, so when the kid falls asleep, the legs just dangle. Granted, I'm only getting a second stroller for travelling, but now I'm reconsidering the G-luxe.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday LC and NEL!! I hope your DH's come through with fun belated plans or some kind of plan.

LC, My DH is the same way...and I am a big planner, so it's annoying. Sometimes you have to tell them what you want and then have them put it into action--the training neve ends (lol).
As for the Maclaren Quest, it's ok after 3 months, but to be honest I don't like to use it until the baby can sit up. It just doesn't have the support of the non-umbrella strollers. It has a recline so technically it's fine, but I still like to wait although we did use it once at the mall. But as they get older it's just so much easier and compact without being flimsy. I'll let you all know how the BJCMD turns out. A freind of mine got a double before she had 2 and just strolled around with one kid in it..I always found that funny but it's practical!
By Cape I mean Cape Cod (Martha's Vineyard although there is much more in terms of surrounding towns). I am in NY area but always loved NE having lived in Boston. I like quaint without effort (haha, rules out Hamptons and Jersey Shore which are perfectly fine, just not far enough to feel like vacay).

NEL: glad your friend came over. I always find things are worst when I'm alone. When DH is home it is better because there is someone else THERE even if he isn't helping. Someone to vent to at least. The acid reflux sounds like a rough deal - I hope she outgrows it soon. I know alot of ladies have had experience with this in the past, so you could try the toddler thread or some other mommy forum to share solutions and coping methods/techniques.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Just a quick fly by, since I hear Ava waking from her nap. I think the 2011 G-Luxe stroller added a leg rest. I'm debating between that one, and the Maclaren Quest myself.

S&I

Brilliant_Rock
NEL, happy belated birthday! Hope D comes home soon and gives you a proper celebration. So sorry about K's AR diagnosis! Do you think adding the rice is helping? I'm glad your friend came over today and helped relax you a bit, and bonus that K finished a whole bottle while she was there. Thanks for the suggestion of trying a premie nipple. I have an Avent sample bottle, but I'm not sure if the nipple it came with is a slow-flow one or not. I guess I could just try it out. I think A is a somewhat aggressive sucker when he's hungry, so getting a slower nipple might just frustrate him more? He's doing a bit better keeping the milk in his mouth while feeding, but he's still spitting up quite a bit, even after he's burped once or twice. I wonder if that's a sign of impending AR symptoms.

PPM, we just went with a Simmons mattress (I think) in the standard crib size. It has one side for infants that's supposed to be firmer and one side for toddlers, but they both feel similar to me.

pancake, I hope the in-home care options for your dad pan out so you can step away from all the drama and stress that your dad and his siblings are causing for you and your family. Yay for S's first plane trip, and for the 6-7 hour sleeping stretch overnight!

Janine, that's great that Enfamil sent you a free tub of formula! Hopefully, the coupons will start coming in monthly now without you having to call every time. I just received my first set of $5 rebates (2 of them) in the mail yesterday, so I guess I can't talk them into giving me a free tub, ha! Your vacation to the Cape sounds like it'll be fun and relaxing. I can't even imagine when we'll be able to take a vacation somewhere. Oh, and I love DD1's answer for your question about another baby - so precious!

LC, happy belated birthday to you too! I usually have to plan things out for my own birthday too. What did you end up doing? Love the pics of E - hope you get a new camera cable soon so you can keep them coming!

dcgator, Sophia is so cute! Happy 9-months to her!

AFU, it's been a hectic couple of weeks. A turned 1-month on Monday. I've realized that I start getting anxious around 8-10pm every night, worrying about how long it's going to take A to settle down for the night in his crib. He spends all day in my dad's arms and refuses to be put down in his crib for naps. My mom thinks we're starting a bad habit by holding him all day, but he cries as soon as he realizes he's in his crib instead of in warm comfy arms. Last night, he fought for 2+ hours after a bottle, before he finally passed out in my arms. He only slept for less than 15 minutes in the crib before he woke up hungry again! My sister and her husband came into town around midnight, and my sister was able to do a feeding before she went to bed. She just graduated from the RN portion of her NP program at Columbia, so she said she would do a full assessment on A today. :lol:

PilsnPinkysMom

Brilliant_Rock
Dropping in to say thanks for the mattress insight, ladies. I sincerely appreciate it. With so many baby items there's this pressure that comes from somewhere (myself? baby review sites? I'm not sure?) to buy the best and safest products, but I don't think it means the alternative products are necessarily UNSAFE... Hard to keep that in mind!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
S&I, aside from being in your arms, is there anything that really helps A to sleep? A tight swaddle? White noise? Having other sleep cues might help.

I started having K sleep in her pack and play and out of my arms around the 6-week mark. My own reasoning was that the babysitter wasn't going to be able to hold her all day and I wanted for her to be comfy sleeping anywhere. But you know what? Now she's 3 months old and she's completley out of the swaddle and loves to stretch out while sleeping, so she actually prefers being out my arms. So I did all of that "training" when she would have made the natural transition before I went back to work, anyway. I say just do what you're comfortable doing--A is so young, no need to give it too much thought.

PnPsmom, isn't it funny how much you agonize over what to buy, then you finally make a decision and never give it a second thought. I always say that deciding what to buy is the toughest part.

AFU, K is 3 months today! We're hitting milestones left and right!

1. K's acid reflux is SO MUCH BETTER!!! And oh my gosh, you can tell she's happier. She's smiling and talking all the time. She's happier than I've seen her in weeks and I'm over the moon about it.

2. She's rolling over!! From front to back--it's really cute!

3. She's 100% out of her swaddle. She started fighting it more and more, so I just went back to the sleep sack one night and that was that. She did her usual 9pm - 6am stretch without stirring and I just started leaving her unswaddled for naps as well.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Hello mamas! How's everyone doing? It's been pretty quiet on this thread, everyone's LOs must be keeping us busy.

NEL, Happy 3 months for Katie!!! I'm so glad the rice is helping with her reflux. Wow, she's rolling over and all out of her swaddle! What a big girl!!! Is she rolling over on the ground? Ethan rolls over with the activity mat pillow, I don't typically put him on his tummy without the pillow. I'm thinking maybe I need to???
Ethan still likes to be swaddled, and we have a Miracle Blanket so it's easier to keep him contained. Although DH's swaddles aren't typically as tight as mine are, Ethan still likes it. However, not sure how much longer we'll swaddle him, J thinks Ethan will be "out growing" it soon.
Hope D did something nice for your birthday.

S&I, glad to see I"m not the only one with the non-planning husband. As for building a habit, I seriously think A's too young for that right now. He's still in the squishy stage I don't think he's quite aware of his surroundings yet.

Janine, how's the BJCMD? Have you taken it for a spin yet? Any progress on your vacation? Sounds LOVELY! My sis's BF is from NE (NH). They were thinking of buying a cottage up in NH, near his mom. I keep telling her it'd be so quaint for them to have a NE cottage.

AFU:
Ethan's back to nursing without fussing too much. He still doesn't nurse for very long, but he at least takes the boob for 5+ mins. We went to the day care and met with the teacher and got all the paper work etc squared away. I spent about 45 mins at the day care with Ethan. He really liked seeing the other babies. The teachers are very attentive. And it was pretty quiet. He'll have to learn to nap with the lights on. I think it'll still take him a little while to get comfortable.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
LC--glad to hear that Ethan's ended his boob strike and that all went well with the daycare. Lordy, I could use another few months!

Yep, K rolled on the floor. We only used the pillow in the early days when she didn't have a ton of neck control. We do tummy time in mom class and jokingly call it baby yoga because now all the babies arch their heads and backs way up. They get so strong so fast!

I've been transitioning K to the crib for the past two days. Two words: sleep regression. I hope I get this sorted out before going back to work. I wanted to switch her earlier, but the acid reflux made it tougher.

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, I totally jinxed myself and Ethan's back to his fussy nursing style. I swear this boy does not make up his mind about anything.

NEL, wow, I think I'm going to try doing tummy time with no pillow now. Maybe I'm a softie but it seems so mean.... How's Katie's transition to the crib going? I'm glad her reflux is better, hopefully the crib transition will be much easier now.

Off to bed. Early day tomorrow and flight. We're flying to visit both families in FL. Ethan's first plane ride :errrr:

~LC

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
LC and NEL - a belated happy birthday to both of you!!!

NEL - how EXCITING re rolling, and how UNEXCITING and blah re sleep regression... hopefully this is just one of those things that will be a few days of discomfort and pain, and then K will go back to her usual sleep habits. I have my fingers crossed for you. Sorry to hear that she was having such a tough time before and I'm glad that being on anti-acid medications has been helpful for her.

LC, we still swaddle S and I think we've decided to continue doing that until her startle reflex goes away. She gets out of it pretty easily (my solution has been to use a larger swaddle and tuck the ends in, but she still gets out when she wants to), but I think it would be difficult for her to settle herself to sleep without it and it's an association I'm happy for her to have for the time being. Glad that E is back to nursing and what a relief that daycare is good! You must feel a whole heap better about going back to work now that you know he'll be fine there! Sorry to hear he is fussing again, hope this is just a "one of those days" things.

S&I, Alex is still a tiny tot and I think that you're probably still in the do-whatever-is-necessary stage! S didn't start to fall asleep only in our arms until she was probably about 6 weeks old (she was in the bassinet before that), and we started shush-pat after that. Remember that he will be at his most unsettled until about 8 weeks or so, and things will often start to settle of their own accord after that - that would not be a bad time to try teaching him to sleep in his bassinet/crib if you wanted to wait until then. Re the reflux, I wouldn't worry about him spitting up. All babies reflux (the sphincter that is meant to hold the milk down isn't very effective in little tots) and it's just a matter of whether it causes him any problems or not. If he's otherwise a pretty content baby and is thriving, you don't have anything to worry about.

AFM, things are slowly improving a bit on the Dad front, with the occasional couple of steps back (basically meddling/interfering people making things more complex and difficult than they should be). He is now in his own home, and his brother is looking after him this week; one of his sisters arrives on Sunday and stays for 2 weeks, then another brother for a further week. I've organised for a private home care service to come and do an in-home assessment next week and so that should be ready to be mobilised when the siblings all leave in mid-late June. I am concentrating on the logistics/practicalities, trying to spend a bit of quality time with Dad, and trying very hard to filter out all the extraneous "noise" in the situation.

AFU, we're great! Sylvie is still a happy, contented and chatty little bub and we are having a lovely time. She is SO vocal - everybody knows what she thinks ALL. THE. TIME. :lol: Apart from that, she is coasting along. Starting to reach out for things, although not quite the fully purposeful reach-and-grab yet, but getting there! Everything is going in her mouth. Doesn't seem to be interested in rolling yet although I probably don't put her on her tummy as much as people say you're supposed to. I think part of it is that she's just so happy-go-lucky that she doesn't feel any imperative to get on the move, roll, etc. I mean, why would you roll when you're equally perfectly happy on your tummy, on your back, in your bouncer, wherever Mum decides to put you this time...? :lol: Cruisey little thing. The last week or so she decided she was going to wake 4 hourly overnight again which was a bit of an adjustment for me after being used to longer stints of sleep (I do realise that 4 hours is not bad!) - then last night she was back to the 6 hour stretch, then 4 hours, so that was much better (except that my boobs had adjusted for 4 hourly overnight and were BURSTING).

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
S&I We use the Pigeon brand of peristaltic (sp?) nipple bottles. They are supposed to simulate the sucking motion that babies use on the breast, although I am not sure if it works. It does seem to be quite slow flow - it will only drip out unless squeezed and the bottles are the same size as the pump bottle so they are all interchangeable which is good.

LC: Yay for 6 hour stretches! How are you feeling about going back to work now? My DH is completely the same as yours with planning things. On my birthday he totally panicks

NEL: I'm so glad your DH has started changing diapers! You sure are patient with him! If DH had refused to change diapers we would have had countless very angry arguments I am sure! Sorry to hear about K's acid reflux. Is she still getting better? Poor little thing.

Pancake: Did you fly up to Brisbane the other week? That is my neck of the woods! I am so glad things with your Dad have settled somewhat, even if family members are still making things more complicated. Did you find the mommy group you meet up with through the MCHN service in your area? I have my first meetup through that service up here in a week or two and I am a bit nervous that I just won't hit it off with any of the other moms as we are grouped together by the age of our babies only!

Janine: As an Aussie, I know nothing about the Cape, but I am looking forward to taking C on a trip when she is 6 months old (Great Ocean Road). What kind of activities are you planning onn doing with your 6 month old on vacation?

AFU: Charlotte is still a really relaxed easy baby. She is now a month old. The last month has just flown by! I feel a little bit sad about how quikly everything is going. I just want to remember everything about this stage! I am simultaneously looking forward to all of the future stages and not wanting her to outgrow the squishy little newborn stage!

C's overnight schedule seems to be stable at the moment but I have no idea about a day time schedule! At night she is still going down between 10:30-12am and waking up between 3:30-4:30 (4-5 hour stretch) but occasionally she will give us a 6 hour stretch. During the day she is feeding every 2 hours on average, but her sleeps are all over the place!

Nursing seems to be getting better. She really likes her booby time now! Problem is that she hurts me when she nurses. I have been to the day stay now and they thought she might have tongue tie, but I went to the paed and he said she definitely didn't. I was experiencing two types of pain - one a pinching pain and the other a more dull pulling type pain. The Lactation consultant at the clinic thought the pulling pain might just be my nipples adjusting to the sucking and may get better in time, so I put up with that, but when I feel the pinching I detach her and try again. She hasn't caused the pinching pain for about a week now! However, every few days the pain kind of builds up and my nipples become so sore clothing hurts them, so I give them a break from nursing by pumping. Sometimes it requires 24 hours and sometimes just one feed. Apart from when my nipples get really sore, she is getting a bottle and I am pumping for the 10:30ish feed and the 4am feed. I am thinking about switching the 4am feed to nursing soon though. I am just nervous as sometimes she doesn't always get all she needs when she nurses and wants to be fed again an hour or so later. I don't want to give up my sleep!

My parents were here from when C was 2 weeks to 3 weeks old. When I said goodbye to my mum I cried. I have NEVER done that before. It was just so nice to have them here. My dad cooked for us (and left us a freezer full of meals too) and my mum cleaned for us. But the nicest thing was just to have some company during the day! My in-laws are arriving on Monday. Dh has taken time off work for when they are here so I am looking forward to having him around again, but I am really nervous about having them around. They have always been really set in their ways and vocally disapproving of people doing things any other way. I know DH's mum did not breastfeed any of her children, and given that I am having difficulties I am nervous that she won't be supportive of me continuing (not that I care but I think she will be vocal about it and I can't handle conflict very well). Of course I might be being a bit unfair with my fears and they may be just as great to have around as my parents. They aren't my favourite people at the moment as they were quite vocal about how they hated the name Charlotte when I was pregnant. I am going to try really hard to be positive and gracious when they are here. At the moment I am feeling a bit possessive about sharing Charlotte with them which is awful, I know!

Sorry for the novel!

bobbin

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and a photo! She is 3 weeks old in this photo. Please excuse the messy hair! We haven't been taking as many photos recently - I find it hard to do during the day when I am on my own as I am holding her most of the time or if not, trying to have a shower/eat!

charliejeans.jpg

And unfortunately I ended up with stretch marks, but I found this and thought I would share it with all of you too:

tigerstripes.jpg

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
LC: yay for E's first plane ride - wow he's starting early! Let us know how it goes, and how FL goes too. Don't sweat the rolling, I think 4 months is the avearge and NEL's K is just an early roller! Mine waited until 5, almost 6 months. She had the muscle ability, just kind of lazy, haha (plus I probably didn't do enough tummy time). I probably don't think about it as much b/c it's #2 and know that they are speedy on some milestones and slower on others. Mine for some reason are slow to roll, but quick to talk..go figure.

NEL: Sounds like K is doing great, and an overachiever...yay for rolling! Ah, sleep regression, I wanted to bring it up when you were mentioning how great she was progressing (because it always happens right when you think you've got a great routine going!), but it happens to us all. We had it at 4-6 months. We also wanted to transition A to the crib before I returned to work and it didn't happen so smoothly so I decided not to fight it and gave it another month (or 2). It's ok to not have everything on schedule and sometimes one transition at a time is best. Just a thought. When do you go back? - I remember going back one day after A turned 3 months, so sounds like you have a bit more time which is nice.

Pancake: OH MY goodness, what a cutie!!! I wish we could hear her babble too, what a sweetheart. Glad to hear there is some progress on the Dad front.

Bobbin: Well right now I'm all talk on the vacation, but things I plan on doing are more geared at a schedule that doesn't annoy the baby since she really can't participate much. So strolls along the beach, or sitting by the beach in the afternon under a tent. We're also doing a wkend in NYC and I'm a bit scared for that, but I have a 3 yr old too, so need to keep her entertained! Your feelings on your parents and IL's are totally normal btw, it's so early on and there's so much adjusting going on, that nothing beats help from your own family. I can relate in a way. I have major inlaw issues though, and they actually didn't help at all or show up (waited for us to come to them and took it personally), so in a way you are already ahead of me in that respect - at least yours have some genuine interest. Anyway, your concerns are valid (about needing support for bf this early on) so my suggestion would be to tell your DH and he can pass it on to his mom in a sensitive way...that you are having a hard time bf'ing and need extra support especially this early on. You might be surprised, she may turn out to be another big supporter - I have family members that also never bf'd and it hasn't colored their views on the benefits of EBF! And I love the photo..awwww. You look great, I was in sweats and greasy hair for the first month probably. Or more. I like the tiger saying - except my stomach does not look anything like that one (and I'm 7mo's out...I wish!!

AFU: just plugging along and A is now 7 months, I can NOT believe it. Like others say, I'm clinging onto each moment of infancy..it goes so fast and this is my last baby. Meanwhile DH is the opposite and can't wait for her to get older since that's when he's more in the picture (and he says it's easier when they can communicate). But for me, I just love these sweet moments of A swatting my face, big smile with 2 bitty teeth, sleeping with arms in the air and best of all BABY ROLLS. Ah well I still have 5 months left on this thread...

So I did buy the BJCMD and an Ergo meanwhile (got a deal at $90). So far the BJCMD impresses me with its features...very cool and I can see why people love it over a basic stroller like the Mac. But for me, I'm still having a hard time with the size..it's huge to me, I like compact, but that's just not possible with a double. It's the smallest out there, and does fit through doors, but I'm trying to get used to it. I haven't taken it outside yet (in case I change my mind). It does have a great fold and I love the canopy, mesh cooling vents,etc.
The Ergo I just got yesterday, and so far it seems great! Comfortable and easy to get on (which were my 2 gripes with the Bjorn). Sad that I waited so long! But I do have some questions for the veterans: when you're out and about, do you also carry your diaper bag? That seems like a pain (at least with a stroller you can hook it on the handle). I'm thinking ahead for our City visit. Also - and for those with older babies I guess - is your baby still able to look all around if forward/in facing? Mine is at the age where she wants to see it all...but I'm not too comfortable with outward facing yet...

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Janine, you're definitely right about a schedule. I feel like I've been trying so hard to prep for her going to daycare. I wanted everything sorted out (night schedule, daytime naps, etc.), but it's just not possible. And I ended up forcing some things (like her sleeping out of my arms) that would have happened naturally. I decided to give the crib a week and if she doesn't seem happy or hasn't made the transition, I'll just try again in a few weeks.

Glad to hear you're liking the BJCMD! Does your mom use it with the girls while you're at work or are you just using it for now?

Bobbin, you're looking great and happy 1-month b-day to Charlotte! It sounds like everything is going well! It's surprising just how long it takes to get into a groove with nursing, doesn't it? I had this image in my mind that I would start bfing immediately and it would be fine. Ha! And how nice that your parents were able to come. I know you miss having them around, but it really does just get easier every day. And you'll be surprised at how mama-bear-like you become around your in-laws. Mine are also opinionated and set in their ways and I managed to avoid any type of confrontation over the past 13 years. But when K was born, that was it. When it comes to her, I'm bossy, and their opinions are irrelevant. I know you'll be just fine.

Pancake, it sounds like you have an in-home plan for your dad, which is great. I'm glad his siblings are able to help, but it will be nice to have something in place when they leave. And Sylvie is such a cutie!! I love that she's such a happy baby! I still can't get enough baby smiles. K is moody--she'll be smiling one minute and then she'll go downhill quickly. Or she'll be crying, then see me and get a big grin.

LC, good luck with the flight!! I hope it goes well!

AFU,

1. Crib transition is going better. Last night she did a 9pm - 4:30am stretch. Not as long as her normal stretch, but it was fine. Her tummy was growling, so I knew she was hungry. I put her back in her crib at 5am after she took a bottle, but she was unsettled, so I just put her in the rock nad play and she slept until 8. I actually like it when she's up around 5am because she goes back to sleep and I can pump, shower, feed the dogs, etc. while she sleeps. When she sleeps until 6/7am, then she's up for the day and I have to get ready for the day while she's awake.

2. K hasn't rolled for the past few days. I'm glad I got it on film when I did. And I still haven't gotten a laugh or any "a-goo"s. She's been smiling a ton, but when presented with something new (or somebody knew), she's very serious. She even furrows her brow like she's really analyzing something. I guess with an actuary for a father and an analyst for a mother, it's no surprise.

3. I go back to work in exactly one week. *Cue scary organ music here*. I could use another few months!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results