shape
carat
color
clarity

PS Mommies Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Whether you are a recent graduate of the Pregnant PS-ers thread, or have children taller than you, everyone is welcome!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Great idea, Diver!!! I''m looking forward to sharing stories, advice, tips, etc. And of course, photos!!!

My biggest problem right now is that my great sleeper has disappeared!!! She was up 3 times last night to eat--I feel like I have a newborn again and today is her 6 month birthday!! I''m guessing it''s a growth spurt or maybe the time change screwed her up or possibly teething, I don''t know. I just hope she goes back to "normal" soon! It seems like every night will be a mystery!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the same way Curly. Mine used to wake up only once, or sleep 5 hours straight. Now all he wants to do is play during daylight hours and loves his solids; just takes a sip of milk here and there. But come night time...he''s so terribly thirsty for milk.

kelley1975

Shiny_Rock
What a great idea! Now I feel like there is a thread I can contribute to. I love to talk about my daughter and share parenting tips--I will be needing advice from some more experienced moms, too, since she turns 2 tomorrow. We are heading straight into the world of discipline!

Thanks, Diver, for starting this thread!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi gals,

My boys are a bit older (one is 5 and the other just turned 7) but I''d love to chat w/moms of little ones or bigger ones!

My older son is in 1st grade and seems to be doing good so far. I''m a bit worried about my younger son who will enter Kindergarten next year. Our closest elementary school has nearly 600 kids! Seems like so many and it''s a sea of little bodies to wade through every time I drop my older one off at school and my younger one seems a bit shy about walking around the "campus." We''ve considered private school over concern about the corriculum but then decided just to hold out a few more years at the current school since the teacher seems to be speeding topics up a bit.

My boys love Legos and spend all day playing them. When they''re not playing them, they''re either torturing the cats (!) or fighting with each other and/or bugging me! lol

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:16:48 PM
Author: kelley1975
What a great idea! Now I feel like there is a thread I can contribute to. I love to talk about my daughter and share parenting tips--I will be needing advice from some more experienced moms, too, since she turns 2 tomorrow. We are heading straight into the world of discipline!

Thanks, Diver, for starting this thread!
Thanks for starting this thread, Diver!

Kelley my daughter will be 2 in a few months & I swear she was born into the "Terrible twos". I cannot imagine my daughter getting any more stubborn. Any PS''ers care to share discipline ideas?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was part of the pregnany psers! My oldest will be 5 in December and mt younest turned 1. They are "butterfly ballerinas".

2butterflieslook2.jpg

kelley1975

Shiny_Rock
Vegas: My Amanda was the easiest baby and early toddler. Then all of a sudden-Bam!-right into the terrible twos! I think all she says anymore is "NO!" and "This is My''s (Mine)". I am finding it difficult to learn how to reign her in a little bit! Time-out seems to work some times....the thing we have the most trouble with is keeping her from taking off in public places. She is just not the type to stand calmly next to Mommy and Daddy--she hits the ground running! I am ready to have number 2, but am concerned that I won''t be able to keep up with Amanda and take care of a newborn at the same time. I work in a NICU, though, so I can live vicariously through working with newborns to satisfy my baby lust for the time being!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Yay! I''m glad folks wanted to chime in and join this thread!

Curly: I''ll tell you what I would (and did) do in your shoes, of course you can take it or leave it depending on your own personal parenting philosphy. I feel that after about 4 months, infants do not need night feedings (and my pediatrician also counsels against them at this age) and giving them after a period of not having them creates a new habit that will keep your child waking at night. Babies cry for lots of reasons & your child just might need a snuggle, or a suck on a binky, or has gas, etc. If it is teething, you can try some Ambesol, or Hylands Teething tablets. Or you can call your ped for the appropriate dosage of Tylenol for teething pain (Motrin works better at night, but isn''t for babies under 6mos). I was a proponent of letting my son cry it out, if he woke at night, I''d go in, check him for wet/dirty diaper, hot/cold issues, pain, sick, etc...and if everything was ok, I''d hug him, kiss him & put him back down. If he kept crying, I''d go in every few minutes & say something like "mommy''s right here, but its time to sleep sugar" and I put a soother mobile in his bed & turned the music on. I only had a night or two of that (and trust me its HARD) before he stopped with the night wakings.

Here are two great soothers: (the first two items on the page) Jake still has his (at 3)

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=soothers&origkw=soothers&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2255957&sr=1

Other causes of night wakings: the biggest: ILLNESS. Could Curlybaby be coming down with an earache? If the wakings continue, you might want to rule out an ear infection. Jake never got fevers with his, my first clue was that my good sleeper was waking & screaming...totally inconsolable.

Milestones: whenever a baby is hitting a major milestone...rolling over, sitting, standing, walking, they wake up constantly wanting to practice. Of course giving them a bottle or nursing session will put them back to sleep, but then you teach them that they can''t go back to sleep without a feed.

After Jake had been sick (in which I never let him cry, obviously a sick child has special needs and I tended to them any way he needed--sometimes rocking him all night long...etc) I usually had a night of "retraining" in which he would wake up and decide he wanted me --so I''d go up, do the hugs & night night kisses & tell him to go back to sleep. Each time I had to do that he cried less and less....I wound up with a kid who goes down easy & sleeps well....so for me, not picking them up at night when nothing is physically wrong with them works for me.

Just my .02....like I said, if my style doesn''t appeal to you, or just goes against your own mothering instinct..ignore my advice!!! Only you know your child, but I only wanted to share what worked for us.

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 3:29:14 PM
Author: MC
Hi gals,

My boys are a bit older (one is 5 and the other just turned 7) but I''d love to chat w/moms of little ones or bigger ones!

My older son is in 1st grade and seems to be doing good so far. I''m a bit worried about my younger son who will enter Kindergarten next year. Our closest elementary school has nearly 600 kids! Seems like so many and it''s a sea of little bodies to wade through every time I drop my older one off at school and my younger one seems a bit shy about walking around the ''campus.'' We''ve considered private school over concern about the corriculum but then decided just to hold out a few more years at the current school since the teacher seems to be speeding topics up a bit.

My boys love Legos and spend all day playing them. When they''re not playing them, they''re either torturing the cats (!) or fighting with each other and/or bugging me! lol

MC... I am also the mother of two boys! My older son just turned 7 in September (he is in first grade this year) and my younger son will be 5 in May (he is in preschool now, kindergarten next year).

The school thing can be a sensitive issue. My boys are in Catholic school. We made this decision for a variety of reasons and we are very happy with our choice. I have friends who have their kids in public school, homeschool, democratic school, Waldorf school, and Montessori school. All are happy with their decisions. It all comes down to what works best for your family and your kids.

And I totally hear you on the Lego thing! My entire dining room table is currently dedicated to Legos. The table is the perfect height for them both to create new aliens, spaceships, Star Wars vehicles of destruction or whatever else they have in mind. LOL!

My biggest mom-challenge is dealing with picky eating. My older son is incredibly picky. And it is driving me absolutely crazy. My current philosophy runs along the lines of "Here is the dinner that I lovingly crafted for you using my own two hands and fresh, healthy food. EAT IT!" LOL!!!!!

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I totally have to agree with Diver regarding Hylands Teething Tablets. Those things ROCK. When my 7-year-old was an infant and toddler, those wonderful little tablets saved us hours of misery. When he started talking, he would ask from them by name when he was teething. He would look at me with pain in his eyes and drool streaming down his chin and say "TEE TABS! TEE TABS!" LOL!!

Other favorite items for us were Mylicon and all the Weleda baby products. :)

Babies grow and change so much during that first year. Just when you think that a routine has emerged, they decided to do something crazy like go through a growth spurt, cut a tooth or reach a developmental milestone. All of which totally mess with everyone getting any sleep. I found that keeping a regular bed time routine helped a lot. Even when we would be up several times during the night for teething, gas, ear infections or inexplicable fussiness... DH and I would still put the boys down at the same time every evening. At 7:30pm we would start bath time/jammie time/story time/bed time routine that usually had them asleep just after 8pm. We still have the same routine now!

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Diver, I totally appreciate all your advice--you''re a great role model!!

I do some of what you mentioned but not the CIO part. I go and check on her, give her the pacifier, rub her back, whisper sweet nothings and leave. Usually it works. But for the past few nights, it hasn''t been working and I''m just not ready to let her cry it out. I can''t bear it, I''m such a wimp. Also, we live in an apartment so I think it makes me kind of uncomfortable to let her howl for too long in the middle of the night. If we lived in a house, I might not have as much of a problem with it although it is heartbreaking! Two nights ago, she was literally starving! She ate about 12 oz. in a 5 hour period. OK, she was hungry. I don''t usually offer her a bottle during the night but I know her hungry cry and that''s what she was giving me. So I chalked that up to a possible growth spurt? Last night, she was just annoying. I would go and put the pacifier in her mouth, go back to bed and 2 seconds later she was crying again. I finally picked her up and rocked her for a while but as soon as I put her down, crying. So I did the one thing I swore I wouldn''t do anymore--I brought her into bed with us. She slept "like a baby". I know, I know, bad habit to start but DH and I realllly needed sleep because we''re both overwhelmed with work so I did it. She slept from 9-1:30 in her crib and 2-7:30 in our bed, with a her regular feeding at 5am.

I just don''t know what to expect at night anymore--it was almost easier when she was a newborn! We do the same routine every night: bath, massage, pjs, cuddling, low lights, bottle, bed with white noise machine on. She goes down without a problem, she just wakes up a few times now instead of having uninterrupted sleep. I did buy those Hyland teething tablets as I''ve heard great things about them but I don''t see any teeth coming through so I don''t want to use them yet. Did you know they have belladonna in them?! I think I may need to chew a few of those!
emwink.gif

I guess she could be working on some milestone. She''s mastered sitting up but looks like she may be trying to scoot/crawl. UGH, I''m dreading the moment she becomes mobile!!! We''re going to the pediatrician for her 6 month appointment tomorrow so I''ll see if she has any advice but I greatly appreciate all your tips, Diver and Joolskie.

So I want to ask all of our moms about another hot/touchy topic. Immunizations. We''re planning on doing all of them and have already had the first 2 rounds with the 3rd set coming tomorrow but I know they also want to give her a flu shot tomorrow since she''s in daycare. I trust my pediatrician but I also feel like I should be doing my own research on the topic so I don''t go blindly into anything. What did/will you do about all the shots?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I''m in the "children taller than you category"--my son was 14 in Aug! Each stage so far has been fun and challenging--but I must admit when I visit my nephews (my sister is 10 years my junior) I miss that cuddly age of 2 & 4 where you can chase them/they scream and they think it is the greatest game in the world!

cheers--Sharon

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
Immunizations are a sensitive topic. As parents, we need to educate ourselves on the issue and make the most well-informed decision based on what we feel is best for our families.

DH and I have had both of our children vaccinated according the schedule provided by our pediatrician. Most of our friends have as well. I do, however, have a very good friend who is the mother of two sons. Her older child was diagnosed with Aspergers when he was 6-years-old. As such, she chose not to have her younger son receive any vaccinations. There are concerns within the Autism community that there is a link between childhood vaccinations and the condition. This concern is something that all parents should research, ask questions about and discuss with the doctors caring for our children.

Again, the best thing we can do as parents is educate ourselves as to what the concerns and issues are so that we can make decisions that are well-informed. For DH and me, the benefits outweighed the risks. Not so for my friend and her husband.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/5/2007 6:14:19 PM
Author: kelley1975
Vegas: My Amanda was the easiest baby and early toddler. Then all of a sudden-Bam!-right into the terrible twos! I think all she says anymore is ''NO!'' and ''This is My''s (Mine)''. I am finding it difficult to learn how to reign her in a little bit! Time-out seems to work some times....the thing we have the most trouble with is keeping her from taking off in public places. She is just not the type to stand calmly next to Mommy and Daddy--she hits the ground running! I am ready to have number 2, but am concerned that I won''t be able to keep up with Amanda and take care of a newborn at the same time. I work in a NICU, though, so I can live vicariously through working with newborns to satisfy my baby lust for the time being!
Mine uses no a lot. I try to get her to say yes at random times & she always responds with no.
20.gif
My daughter takes off a lot too. I was doing time outs but quit. I''m going to start up again & this time be consistant with them. I need to get a chair for her to sit in otherwise she will take off during timeouts. My girl is...one heck of a kid. Very social, inquisitive & fearless. I went through baby fever about a month after I had my daughter. At this point I would be devestated if I were to get pregnant. I cannot imagine dealing with a newborn & stubborn toddler. I went from feeling like I was doing really well with her to not knowing how to handle her anymore. It''s getting harder & harder week to week. I bought the Supernanny Jo Frost''s book but it doesnt really address what I need help with. Hubby & I just need to figure out how to work with our daughter''s personality.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Curly, I was really afraid to get my daughter her shots. My biggest fear was vaccination/autism possible link. We have gotten her vaccinated on schedule. She did have a bad reaction to her first set of shots but has been fine with all her others. The only thing she wont get is a flu shot & she has yet to get a chicken pox vaccine (I have a problem with this one & thankfully my doc is always out of it). I would feel horrible if my daughter got a disease that could have been prevented by being vaccinated. People move/travel place to place. Not all countries vaccinate. A person traveling with a communicable disease mumps for example, has the potential to effect a lot of people. I''m not willing to take that chance. Everyone feels different about vaccinations, this is just my .02

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
just a quick hi from me! My little girl, Penelope (Penny) is just over 9 months. She has been a dream so far, sleeping, eating and growing well. She does get a cheeky glint in her eye that I think means she will only have two speeds when she gets mobile... stop and flat out!

I''m currently pregnant with number 2, due in June 2008. Penny will be 17 months old. What was I thinking??!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 11:00:40 PM
Author: shelly1170
just a quick hi from me! My little girl, Penelope (Penny) is just over 9 months. She has been a dream so far, sleeping, eating and growing well. She does get a cheeky glint in her eye that I think means she will only have two speeds when she gets mobile... stop and flat out!

I''m currently pregnant with number 2, due in June 2008. Penny will be 17 months old. What was I thinking??!!
Penny will probably be in the helping Mommy mode. My daughter was 18 months old when I had my son. She loved helping me, getting a diaper, etc.. When I was pregnant with him, she said when is it time to cut baby obbie out?? I knew he would be delivered by C section. She couldn''t prounounce her R''s at the time so it was all about baby Obbie.

Fast forward she is 19, and he is 17, so am in the taller than me camp!! It''s been such a joy to see them come into themselves, one in college, one getting ready for college. The time flies ladies, enjoy all those precious moments. We have a great time together, and have such a close bond. They are my heart, and am so blessed to have them.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 10:55:07 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I''m in the ''children taller than you category''--my son was 14 in Aug! Each stage so far has been fun and challenging--but I must admit when I visit my nephews (my sister is 10 years my junior) I miss that cuddly age of 2 & 4 where you can chase them/they scream and they think it is the greatest game in the world!

cheers--Sharon
I have 2 and a 3 1/2 year old son. I am constantly telling them they will be taller than me someday (I am 5''7 so it is almost a guarantee. ) My older son squeelled with delight and asked me when??!!!!

lol

I will miss all the cuddles as they grow..

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2007 11:00:40 PM
Author: shelly1170

My boys are 15 months apart. They are now 2 and 3 1/2. They like to play with the same kinds of toys and watch the same shows,etc. It would be harder to have kids more spaced out bc then the house doubles in toys, etc...lol
Honestly, most of the time it is like having twins, it''s great! they are buddies, they always have a playmate in the house and they even sleep together.. congrats on the nd pregnancy and keep enjoying your little one before she becomes a big sis!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
hi curly! i too am having some issues with my (almost) 7 month old..he was a dream and such an angel and would sleep thru the nite almost every night..then by the time he turned 5.5/6 months he started waking up at least 2 to 3 times a nite..i had stopped the late nite feed when he was 3.5 months old (and i agree with divergrrl) that babies do not need their late nite feed (PROVIDED) they are drinking well thru out the day (a general rule of thumb is that they need 4oz of milk per kilo of weight (we deal with KGs not pounds)...therefore if your baby is 7kgs, they would need approx 28 oz of milk)..

but going back to the main issue, i usually just turn him from one side to the other and he goes back to sleep...sometimes i have to pick him up and soothe him before placing him back..but i am hoping he will go back to sleeping thru the nite!! i miss those days..

which brings me to another question...every culture has very different thoughts/ideas on how to raise baby and different ''ages'' on when to handle certain situations...now here is my question and i would appreciate ALL input...

When do you let ur baby sleep alone in their nursery thru the nite? I know initially mothers usually have a small moses basket in their room to avoid the going back and forth for feeding thru out the nite, but at wat time do u let the baby sleep alone in his/her nursery? Also, how do you deal with the fact that ur x month old is sleeping ALL alone in another room away from u?? I am having anxiety attacks just thinking about it though i KNOW i need to do so...

My son sleeps thru out the day in his nursery..it is just late at nite when we''re sleeping that i transfer him to our room (after his last feed of the day around 1030pm)...i really want to stop doing that, and my husband is totally against leaving him alone in another room and sees no harm if he continues to sleep with us. I dont want to continue doing so as i want my son to learn to sleep on his own, but i dunno wat to do!!! how did u do it??

(sorry for the rambling!!)

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
MSB: my son slept in a bassinet next to my side of the bed until he was 5.5 months old. My house is large and very long and our master is on another end of the house, so he was too far away to move him to there until my husband made me. I cried, my son did just fine. figures. ..
20.gif

Currently my 7 week old sleeps in that same bassinet next to me and most likely will until she''s 5 months old too. Her brother still has the crib (he''s getting a big boy bed next month for his 3rd bday).

I put an Angel Care monitor in their cribs...its an alarm that goes off if they stop breathing for more than 20 seconds. Love it. Makes it easier to have them farther away.

I say the right time is when you are ready.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
MSB- i moved both my kids out of our room when they were 6 months.

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
Thanks girls! I change from day to day. sometimes I think it''s great to have them close together as all they will grow up together etc but other days I wonder how I''ll cope!

As for putting baby in their own room... Penny went straight into a snuggle bed (do you have those in the States?) in her cot in her own room the day she came home from hospital. Her room is next to ours. I didn''t even have a baby monitor! Penny loves going to bed, day or night. She physically relaxes as soon as she is put in her cot.

Everyone family is different though. Do what you feel is right.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all your replies!

I actually do have the Angel Care baby monitor (ordered it from amazon) and am totally in love with it! the fact that it has that breathing monitor/sensor makes me soooooooo much more comfortable knowing it would detect anything that mite happen (God Forbid)...

I want to move him..i know its better for him long term..but i just feel i can''t do it rite now...We''re moving to a new house in a month or two and im planning that with the new transition to the house, ill just have him sleep in his room thru out the nite..

its comforting to know that diff mother choose diff timings to transfer their infant from their room to their own nursery...

Since u''ve been great in answering my first question, let me follow up with another:

1) Are you able to hear the baby clearly if he/she cries thru the baby monitor? The Angel Care monitor i have seems to be very clear (and loud), but im always worried if im asleep i may not hear it?? (though i think the voice is more magnified than the sound itself)...

2) Did your husbands have an issue when you had to get up, open the door to ur room, walk out to the nursery and back? even if u had to do so a few times during the nite??

shelly1170

Shiny_Rock
To answer your questions...

I am a heavy sleeper but still managed to wake up when Penny cried, even without a baby monitor. it''s "mummy hearing"!

My hubby was never bothered when I had to get up during the night. He''d half wake when I got up but went back to sleep pretty quickly.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
msb, we live in a one bedroom apartment so we don''t even have a room for the baby! She slept in a bassinet in our room until exactly 12 weeks. At that point, I had to return to work and needed to sleep better without hearing all of her grunting and farting during the night so we moved her into her crib which is in our dining area (it will eventually be her bedroom when we put up a wall). We used a monitor for the first few nights but it had so much static that we just ended up turning it off since she''s basically in the next room anyway. We can hear her with no problem. I will say that I have become a deeper sleeper since moving her out of our room. The first few hours are always pretty deep for me and DH stays up later than I do so if she happens to stir right after I''ve gone to sleep, I may not hear her but he does and he goes and deals with her. But the other times in the night, I''ll get up and check on her. He''s actually really good about getting up when I do just to make sure she''s ok and I don''t need any help but he usually just goes right back to sleep since obviously, I can handle everything on my own!
emwink.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I guess I will join in...

I have two girls, Kayla and Kara Anne. Kayla just turned 7 on Sept. 27th and she is in 2nd grade and Kara just turned 2 on Sept. 2nd.
I had a party for both girls in October and it turned out pretty good actually.

Kayla is the shy one and doesn''t like to talk too much and loves to read and draw. She is having a slightly rough time this year in her new school but I am sure she will adjust eventually. She is really self conscious about everything as well, so it''s kind of hard at times, but we deal with it.

Kara is a crazy, non-stop action ball of fire. She is into everything, doesn''t listen to me at all and is always touching my makeup!!!!! She isn''t in daycare or anything, but I wanted to put her in next year, which is what I did with Kayla.

It gets crazy in the house with both girls plus our cat, our dog and our bunny, but it all works for me i guess......

It''s funny, but I actually had this weird idea that I wanted to try for one more, yeah, weird, right.
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2007 10:23:00 AM
Author: butterfly 17

It''s funny, but I actually had this weird idea that I wanted to try for one more, yeah, weird, right.
2.gif

hey butterfly, it''s nice to see you over here
35.gif

it''s funny, b/c I had that same weird idea and he/she will be here in april
3.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2007 12:00:14 PM
Author: mrssalvo

hey butterfly, it''s nice to see you over here
35.gif

it''s funny, b/c I had that same weird idea and he/she will be here in april
3.gif

OH, congrats!!! That''s so nice to hear! Are you going to find out what your having? I probably would if it was me, I hate surprises.

I actually called my husband at work the other day and told him I wanted to try for a third and he told me I was crazy. It''s hard enough with the two, imagine a third?
39.gif
But, still, I would be so happy to find out I was pregnant with another baby.

Oh, that''s so nice that you are pregnant. Babies are always a blessing!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results