shape
carat
color
clarity

Prosaically Purple

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I won the deservedly frenetic race to purchase this spinel posted last week on Barrys site. It is as fantastic as everyone thought it would be. My photos do not do it justice, I will try to take a few more tomorrow. (yes that's more than the overload I am already about to post!) One thing about Barry's site that has always seemed incomprehensible is how his photos can be so unquestionably accurate and the stones are always better when they arrive. If the pictures are accurate, how can that be? I think I have jammed my foot in the door of understanding. (God, that sounds like the thesis of a lifetime!) The difference between the online presence of barrys stones and their in person presence is much like the difference between a beautifully sanded and wiped down piece of wood and the same piece varnished. Or if you prefer an oil painting before and after a coat of varnish. Nothing changes, yet everything intensifies.

welchs1.jpg

welchs2.jpg

welchs3.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good work, VL. Good photography too. It is a beauty!! Any plans for it yet?

--- Laurie

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Do forgive me for missing that errant cotton fiber. The stone is 6.9 mm, 1.5 carat. This past fall I bought a few quarts of concord grapes at the union square greenmarket with no idea what I would do with them but the season is short especially for what comes down to NYC. I decided to make grape jelly. I dutifully removed the grapes from their jackets. I cooked the flesh with some water and sugar so I could strain it ( many seeds). While that simmered I minced the skins and added them back after straining out the seeds. My god (yes, lower case "g") the smell was damningly heavenly. Oh Vapid one, do you have a point? Why yes I do. The color of the churning boiling sugary conquered grape mishegoss was the same as the visual experience of this stone rolling in one's hand in the light.

welchs4.jpg

welchs5.jpg

welchs6.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

welchs7.jpg

welchs8.jpg

welchs9.jpg

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
:love:

This is gorgeous! I always look at Barry's drops but haven't tried to vie for anything yet.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that's really beautiful!

But that cotton fiber is simply unforgivable.
I am shocked and RuPauled!
My pics NEVER have a single errant molecule.

NOT! :bigsmile:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been really looking forward to these pictures, vapid! It looks like an amazing stone and as usual, your photography is wonderful (as well as your descriptions :)) )! I really am delighted that a fellow PSer got this stone-- seems small of me, but I must admit I'm a little jealous :devil: .

Any plans?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So you've likely noticed the nugget of greenish gold in the photos. Yesterday I decided to make my own gold alloy; a 20 karat gold without copped, only gold and silver. 20 kt is 83.33% gold, the balance being whatever. I wanted only silver. so I took some 24kt casting grain and 999fine silver obviously I weighted them out carefully and accurately. I carved a ring into a block of graphite that I bought on the bay, one of many such blocks. In went the metal with a few grains of boric acid (no roaches here) and in about a minute I had this greenish 20 karat gold nugget.

somegrains.jpg

cookinwithgas.jpg

braisinggold.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
My greenish gold glob is 10.546 grams, plenty of material there to hammer out a ring, so That's my plan, this spinel in this glob. I shall call it, Harold and the Purple Crayon V. The Green Globbin.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to interrupt your thread but the grape jelly spinel is heavenly. I'm really envious. :devil:
Now back to my seat with popcorn in hand for the rest of the show.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
VL I looove it! Grape jelly is right!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
LG, you can interrupt me anytime. Actually I dont have more for tonight. I'll take a few more pics tomorrow in the sun and start on the setting. Since it's all experimental, I will document to forming of the setting as well.

BabyNurse, Thank you. It may seem out of place, like a sentiment from another time, but having some folks out there who appreciate my efforts to gesticulate madly at the heavens makes all the difference. And kudos on your choice of jealousies, this one is worth it!

Maebelle, you will sooner or later. Register and be logged in before the new list goes up (wednesdays 8pm eastern time)

Thank you JF, I'm bringing the pinkie ring back!

Kenny, there's a thread hanging off the back hem of your Tom Ford jacket, let me cut that off for you.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
For those who like to know these details, here is what the gold and silver and graphite looked like before the fire. to be fully honest this ring thusly formed was deemed by me to be not enough material volumetrically to make the ring, so today I added the same amounts again and melted it all together into the button you see with the spinel.

grainsingraphite.jpg

graindwireandgraphite.jpg

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh Vapid it is truly a thing of beauty. Congrats to you. The gold is just edible looking.

I know this is going to sound crazy. I think Barry uses an old sony mavica, anyone who has ever owned one swears by them. I think some people covet them too. The estate agent who appraised my house has one and she refuses to give it up. The thing is beat to hell plastic peeling etc, but still works and takes pretty great photos. Next purchase... Rolleiflex! To hell with technology.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1295572990|2828248 said:
My greenish gold glob is 10.546 grams, plenty of material there to hammer out a ring, so That's my plan, this spinel in this glob. I shall call it, Harold and the Purple Crayon V. The Green Globbin.

I call it purple-icious! :love: :love: :love: :love:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Treen, rollei is my fave for handheld. I have a snappy little rollei35 tessar, a freaking amazing 3003 with 2 distagons, and an sl66se. those were the days.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Vapid, you are an artist with both your craft and your words. In reading your post, I can smell the sweetness of those grapes, feel the heat of the torch on the metal, and visualize the purply color and flavor of that gem. I always enjoy your posts as they are a feast for many senses...thanks!

Laura

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
VL, there is nothing prosaic about this beautiful spinel! It's really amazing, and I'm so looking forward to seeing what you do with it. There's something almost medieval about the color, so pairing it with your green gold seems perfect! I hope you'll document the whole process here, because I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see the details.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool. :appl: I love watching your work (you're very talented)

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
Pretty stone, and thank you for always showing your metal work. I find it very interesting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone!

You know, I've never previously been into the color purple. But your new spinel, and my new color shift spinel is making me reconsider adding more purple to my collection!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone! Congratulations on your new acquisition!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Nice spinel! I've always wanted one with a 'grape color'. Gorgeous!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VL,
A picture cannot capture the essence of the cut; hence Barry’s photography is as accurate as a photograph can possibly be. In real life (3D), there is the play of light which shows the brightness, contrast, sparkle and etc. Sure looks grapey to me although I’m sure it looks better than strained grapes. :lol:

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have a rollei but have ALWAYS wanted one. I seriously would love the sl66se that is a serious camera. You rock in so many different ways Vap.

Off to troll the internet for my very own rollei. :Up_to_something:

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I hope you're all ready for another barrage of purple. FIrst I took the stone outside while walking murry. Who knew it had snowed?!

standpipespinel.jpg

standpipespinel1.jpg

snowboundspinel.jpg

snowzelsetspinel.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Then back inside by a window with a refreshing beverage!

efrigerateafteropening.jpg

since1869.jpg

twicethepower.jpg

nosugaradded.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

realjuice.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful color VL! Makes me want one too!!! What are your plans for it?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely. Congratulations on winning the race. I guess you are now ready for Boston Marathon? :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results