shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposed Emerald Cut Diamond - Request for help!

jpaikman

Rough_Rock
Hey folks,

Been reading through the forum and wiki for several hours yesterday and today - thanks to all of the previous contributors and writers of the emerald cut knowledge guide. Hopeful to get some feedback regarding this diamond on James Allen for this diamond newbie.

SHAPE: Emerald
CARAT WEIGHT: 1.74
COLOR: H
CLARITY: VVS1
POLISH: Excellent
SYMMETRY: Excellent
FLUORESCENCE: Faint
L/W/D (MM): 7.82*5.75*3.94
L/W RATIO: 1.36
DEPTH %: 68.50
GIRDLE: Slightly Thick - Thick
TABLE %: 66.00
CULET: None
CERTIFICATE: GIA

There is no crown height that I could find, but just guesstimating, it would still be AGA 2B due to depth. VVS1 clarity is a bonus, but not a requirement (H+ / VS1+ was recommended to me).

I would appreciate any help regarding alternative stones that represent better value, if any. Diamond budget is approximately 9-11k.

In addition to this, my girlfriend wants a halo setting. Was hoping to also get some feedback regarding prevention of wear and tear on emerald cuts, and appropriate selection of setting.

The setting is this:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/platinum-falling-edge-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49997

Thank you for your help in advance!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, any virtual diamond you see on James Allen that is in NY, IDJ can call in and evaluate in house, and then provide you ASET and IS images of the diamond. IDJ can be more competitively priced than JA.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pass, the center is leaking light like a sieve. Please state your requirements and we will help find you a better stone. I wouldn't bother to request an ASET for it. This EC is proof that you can NOT shop by the numbers because even though it looks great on paper, it is a dud in the video.

jpaikman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice so far. Per your request:

Emerald Cut
Carat Size: 1.5 to 2.0
Clarity: VVS1-VS1
Color: F-H
Budget: 9K-12K for diamond only

Chrono, you were able to pull up the diamond at James Allen using just the stats I posted?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jpaikman|1460129810|4016968 said:
Chrono, you were able to pull up the diamond at James Allen using just the stats I posted?
Correct; that's how I was able to view the video. I'll see what JA has that might have potential, based on your requirements.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of these are perfect but overall have more positives than negatives. First off, don't be afraid of those dark stripes - they are shadows from the camera. They should be the red/green colours in the ASET.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.60-carat-g-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-758868
Chunky steps, nice display of on/off steps, good crown, and good paper stats to back up potentially good light performance. Yes, it is over budget but if you pay by wire, you'll get a discount from JA.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.51-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-903928
Might be kind of long-ish in outline with skinny steps but watch those steps flash! The very center-most is not ideal but it's such a small area compared to the rest of the EC, so I don't think it will be noticeable in person (as opposed to the magnified video). Overkill on clarity, hence the higher price.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.50-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1009381
A good performing EC at the lower end of your budget. Good step movement, not the strongest performer but still a lot nicer than most ECs in the market. I would like to know the dimensions though, as it isn't listed.

Given that all 3 have the option for overnight shipping, I think this means they are in-house and JA should be able to get the ASET for you.

jpaikman

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot Chrono. I'll forward these to my girlfriend for her to judge.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results