shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposed and she said YES!! But need your help with sizing

Kc10f

Rough_Rock
Hey,

Thanks again to everyone that helped me with picking out the ring. I proposed yesterday and she said yes! It looks amazing and I am so thankful for all the feedback I received here. But the only issue is the ring seems a little loose. It spins a little when on her finger and slides of with a swift pull (no rocking back and forth motion really needed).

The issue is we had her sized and a 7 was a perfect snug fit. So of course I ordered a 7. So this has me confused. I spoke with the rep from JamesAllen last night and they informed me that with petite top heavy rings that can happen. It is a 1.7mm petite cushion halo.

What should we do? We are having a ring sizer sent, but we did size her at the store and she matched perfectly with a 7. My concern is how will we know her size IN THIS RING? Thanks for your help.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Re: Proposed and she said YES!! But need your help with sizi

According to a jeweller I spoke to, not all ring sizers are the same. That was a quite a surprise to me; I would have thought they were all standard. If guess it's a bit like clothing sizes. :(sad
If your fiancée has a ring that fits here correctly, perhaps you can measure the inside diameter and use that as a reference (might be hard to do without calipers, though).
Congratulations on your engagement and best wishes to both of you.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ring sizes can change in different climate or season. I go down 1/2 size in the winter. The width of the ring can make a difference, if you measured at the store with a 4 mm ring sizer , that could be off by 1/2 size in my own experience If your ring is 2mm or less in width.

Kc10f

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the replies. I will post pictures soon on show me the bling.

So would it be best to try going to a 6.5 or 6 3/4s? I don't mind having resized but worry about messing up the resize and having to do twice.

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

totally depends on how big it is. maybe go to 6.75 and do a couple sizing beads or a sizing bar to help keep it from spinning so much? I wouldn't go down too much because i know my hands swell based on the weather and you definitely don't want it too tight.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unread post by Garnetgirl » 29 Apr 2016 10:48
According to a jeweller I spoke to, not all ring sizers are the same. That was a quite a surprise to me; I would have thought they were all standard. If guess it's a bit like clothing sizes. :(sad

This is true... Ring sizers and mandrels can be off by as much as 1/2 size! UGH!

DandT|1461949188|4025162 said:
Ring sizes can change in different climate or season. I go down 1/2 size in the winter. The width of the ring can make a difference, if you measured at the store with a 4 mm ring sizer , that could be off by 1/2 size in my own experience If your ring is 2mm or less in width.

Yes! My first setting was wider on top (under the halo) and tapered to about 3mm at the base. I wore a size 5.5 in it, and it was a little loose in cold, but fit great otherwise. Now I have a temp solitaire setting that is about 2.2 mm all the way around and a 5.25. It is totally different (top heavy) and so big on me! Granted, I've lost a little weight since I had my original halo setting, but still...

I was thinking it would fit when I took a trip to the beach, but it would still spin in the Florida heat! Sooo.... I went to a local jeweler (with my mandrel) to compare. Turns out, I'm actually a 4.75. Whaaatt??? I suffer from "finger size dysmorphia disorder," so I refuse to believe I'm a sub-5, so that is what my new soli setting will be.

So, yeah... there are several factors that can affect the size/fit of a ring.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock

Is she planning on wearing a band with it? I might wait and try on bands with it. wearing a band next to it will snug up the fit a little.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it comes off with a swift pull, I'd be wary about washing hands/taking on off gloves/clothing as well. I would absolutely get it sized down.

What kind of climate do you live in? What was the weather like when you proposed?

If you live in a climate with the same weather year round - I'd probably do the 6.5.
If you live in a climate where the weather changes and it was warm when you proposed (and still slides off easily) - a 6.5
If you live in a climate where the weather changes and it was cool/chilly when you proposed - 6.75

JA will size for free, but if you do get it sized and it doesn't fit right, you should be able to go to a local place and have them do it. Then you can measure using their measure and sized using their measure. Not all sizers are the same!

Kc10f

Rough_Rock

Thanks. In the south so it is always hot and humid here other than few mild summers in the winter! If she has a random solitaire ring that fits nicely... Would it help to measure that ring across the diameter and use that measurement to get WHATEVER size ring is equal to or very similar to that measurement?

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

I have seen a few sites selling antique rings, including rings of European origin, which use a different sizing system. On those sites, the inside diameter was listed in millimetres (mm), although that's not usually the way it's done. You'd have to be sure you were measuring across the widest part of the ring.
You'd have to ask if your jeweller would be comfortable using such a measurement to resize your fiancée's ring.
Another idea: I've seen some folks on Pricescope suggest sending the jeweller an old, preferably inexpensive ring which fits well, to use as a guide.
Good luck with whatever you do. As you said, one doesn't want to have to resize several times. Hope it works out next time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results