shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal idea, full-day pampering

MontezumaAztec

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I just got my girlfriend's finished engagement ring in the mail (B2C diamond on a James Allen setting, couldn't be happier!) and am in the process of brainstorming some proposal ideas, I thought some feedback would be helpful.

I had this idea to pamper my girlfriend in a secretive way. Her and her mom recently went to a bridal convention show and I was going to have her mom make up a story that she won a giveaway for a 1 day royalty treatment and have her give it to my girlfriend. The fake giveaway would include personal shofer to get a facial, nails done, hair and makeup, and then take her to pick out a new dress to wear. The driver would say "I have one more special stop to make" taking her to the most scenic part of my city overlooking the cliffs and pacific ocean. The driver will hand her an iPad to watch a short movie I will make, including some memorable locations from our time together (where we first met, first date, first kiss, etc.) and then I will end the movie with me asking her to step out of the car to go to the lookout point, hopefully during a beautiful sunset. Here I will be waiting with a musician friend of mine who will be serenading us on the guitar with a song that is very special to both of us. After saying some meaningful words with the music in the background, I will get down on one knee and pop the question!

What do you guys think, too elaborate, too obvious? Obviously I know my girlfriend the best but I always enjoy getting feedback and hearing what other's impressions are.

Thanks for reading! :dance:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that is a lot. (also, please post pictures of the ring on your original thread :D )

I mean, that is fine if you think your gf will like it. It seems very over the top, Hollywood eque to me. If you want to go with the BIG proposal..

-Is her mom able to keep this quiet? Sometimes moms aren't the best secret keepers!
-I would probably skip the dress part. The 'buy a new dress' sounds a bit suspect to me as a sponsored gift. You could do a GC for this day only? What about shoes? Is she supposed to wear this new dress? Or just have purchased it?
-Usually not advised to wear makeup right after a facial, but that's a small detail haha
-Is it hard walk to this lookout point? If you are making wear a new dress/shoes maybe a hike isn't a great way to start the proposal.
-Movie sounds adorable, if your friend is willing to do some music for you also nice.

Overall, I think you could probably tone it down a bit (if you wanted). I would simply it to something like: Send her (& her mom if you wanted) for mani pedi, shopping, lunch etc. Say you want to go out for nice dinner now that she's all dolled up. Drive to the point, give her the ipad, walk together to the lookout, and ask her then. Musician can possibly double as photographer for 'the moment'.

To me (obviously 100% my opinion), a proposal should be personal between you guys. So having a chauffeur is nice, and buying a dress is nice, but you are asking her to spend your life with you - not a dress or chauffeur!

MontezumaAztec

Rough_Rock
Hey telephone89, thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I agree, what I wrote may be a little over the top, definitely need to trim down the idea.
I definitely want her to get pampered and dolled up in a secretive way, so this is tricky. At the very least, she'll want her nails looking pristine for the moment.
I was debating the "giveaway" thing or having a friend/her mom take her to get these things done, but if her mom sees the proposal, it would seem unfair not to have the rest of the family there to witness it, and I've heard negative things about having family present, i.e. takes away the romanticism.

As for the lookout point, it's just a step out of the car http://2nbtoy3u3qzf34dru617v1vs.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/sunset_cliff.jpg

Maybe getting friends involved is the way to go... still need to think about the logistics, any other input would be helpful! Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can always have her mom take her to get pampered (plus it puts you on moms good side if she gets some too!) and then whisk her away for a romantic night just the two of you.

Does your workplace ever give out things as gifts? I know my old work used to give out show tickets, hockey tix, etc. Maybe you could 'win' something like that and send her out for the day if you don't want mom involved.

That is an absolutely STUNNING place for a proposal! Holy smokes, just gorgeous.

And last of all, she will probably love a proposal sitting on the sofa in jammies, because she gets to marry her partner! So anything else is just icing on the cake.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Q

Queenie60

MontezumaAztec|1455855819|3992812 said:
Thanks again telephone89, I value your input!
I'll have to think long and hard about how I'm going to secretly pamper her, but I do like the idea of getting her mom to do it as they are very close to each other.

FYI, I wasn't able to edit my original post, but here's the ring: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...eye-candy.5429/page-315#post-3992809#p3992809

The ring is gorgeous. She's a very lucky lady! You did a great job. Now for the proposal......... :love:

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm with telephone...WAY elaborate. From the moment the driver announces they have one more special stop to make, I would KNOW it was a proposal FOR SURE (If I was not already suspicious). Also, the video bit seems like a lot of work for something that will probably be redundant. I bet a lot of stuff you would put in there would be sweet things you could incorporate into the proposal itself. I'm not saying perform a soliloquy, though! Personally, I'm impatient. When my husband proposed, the second I realized it was a proposal, my brain went into shock/excitement mode. I could not really hear/absorb what he was saying!

Shondra

Rough_Rock
I've been reading through this thread and so far I really like this particular topic. I think that my boyfriend would be really smart to plan a full day of pampering and he would most likely get a positive answer when he did finally pop the question.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results