shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposal Blessing?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

So I am currently in the process of buying the diamond and picking out a setting, but I have a couple questions about asking for blessing. I'm somewhat of a traditionalist, and my girlfriend is quite close with her family, so I think it is the right thing to do. Plus, I'm hoping to incorporate them somehow into the post-proposal celebration, so I would need to tell them beforehand anyway!

Herein lies my dilemma...they live in Toronto, and I am in Washington DC, while my girlfriend is at college in New Hampshire. I've met her parents a few times, over the past 2+ years we've been dating, and we've gotten along great, including the time I spent at her house over the Christmas holidays last year, and I am confident they will be excited about this. But it's really hard for me to get to them in Toronto, or meet them in New Hampshire without tipping off my girlfriend! I've thought about the phone, but that seems flippant, and I'm thinking that a nice letter might be the better way? I'm hoping that maybe in the letter I could explain everything, and then maybe at some point down the road when we are in the same city, I can have a better chance of getting them alone to talk about it in person because they will already be tipped off.

Does anyone have any ideas on this or experiences with something similar? I want to go the traditional route, but it's so difficult for me with the distance, and I'm hoping to find a way to do it where I can be, perhaps, less casual than calling them up on the telephone some night of the week. Maybe if I wrote them a letter to set up a phone call with them?

Thanks!

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Letter sounds wonderful - and you might even invite them to phone you when they receive it, so you can have both a "traditional" asking of a blessing and you can talk to the parents in real time. (Although asking them to write a reply could make for a wonderful gift to show your FI too!!)

oneforship

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 7:41:15 PM
Author: Elmorton
Letter sounds wonderful - and you might even invite them to phone you when they receive it, so you can have both a ''traditional'' asking of a blessing and you can talk to the parents in real time. (Although asking them to write a reply could make for a wonderful gift to show your FI too!!)

I didn''t think of that, that might be a cool thing to be able to look back on!

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

dboy10

Rough_Rock
The letter sounds like a great idea! I have the same dilemma but never thought about writing a letter. My only personal issue is that I want to be able to do it face to face but I guess a letter & phone call is better than nothing... or (eureka!) What about a web cam chat!? Do you own a web camera? Do you know if they have one or are at least are computer savvy? If so you could write a personalized letter and in it attempt to set up a date and time for you to meet via web cam... I''m going to look into doing that myself!
31.gif

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
Do it by letter, then in the letter, offer to buy them a nice dinner and have a real face to face chat when you are both in the same town!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results