shape
carat
color
clarity

Proportions of side stones for 3 stone ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif
Hi everyone!

I have decided to make a 3 stone ring using my 1.5ct round as the center stone. I know the answer to this question is probably "it''s personal opinion" but I was asking for your opinions as well :)...

I am having a hard time deciding what size side diamonds (they would be round) to put on either side. Since I have a limited budget, I have decided to go with a white gold setting to apply more $ toward the diamonds.

I should also point out my i.5ct measures only 7mm so it faces up more like a 1.25ct. I tried on a setting with each side stone .15ct (so .30ct total wt) and thought it really made the center stone stand out. It wasn''t a traditional 3 stone ring per say, but it was gorgeous.

I also tried on a mounting with each side stone .32ct (so about .65ct total wt). Wow! It was more than my budget but it looked like the traditional 3 stone look I originally had in mind.

Now what I could do is use my .38ct round (which measures 4.5mm so faces up more like a 1/3ct) that was my original e-ring as one of the side stones and try to find another one to match it. I feel kind of bad using it because I just had it remounted into an x-prong solitaire and thus would have totally wasted my $ on that. Plus, my husband would not be too happy seeing me remount both my rings twice in less than 2 months!
4.gif
(With a 2 year old and an 11 month old, I hardly wear any bling at all!)

Thanks for your help.

So, I was wondering what everyone liked. I will try to post pics to show the difference. The smaller side stones definitely look more like accent stones but then again I am not a really bling bling gal.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Jelly this is a tough question.

So I''ll answer it with examples!
41.gif

Here''s Libster''s 1.12 center with .30 each on the side:

lbr7.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s Caratgirl''s
1.90 center with .30 sides

eringn-1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a preference but I think that something like your stone would look fab with a .35 on each side, take a look at my ''New 3 Stone Ring'' thread in the Show me the Ring. It''s not a real 3 stone (I put my earings on each side) but it shows the ratio, it''s a 1.29 center (7.10mm) and .38c stones on each side. I like that look alot.

Aljdewey''s ring is a 1.25c with side stones of .30c each I think, if her picture is floating around here somewhere...I''ll see if I can find it. That looks lovely too.

Oh and my one other comment is that it sounds as though your 1.5c stone may not be an ideal cut? What about the .38c stone? It is very hard to match diamonds...aka it''s easy to find 3 ideals that look similar because the cut is more consistent, but you would not want to get an ideal 3rd stone and have 2 non ideals etc...so if you use existing stones and find a 3rd stone, you will want to make sure that VISUALLY all the stones match, which probably mean choosing the 3rd stone in person rather than online.

hope this rambling makes sense!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Babyrocks

.90 center with .30 sides (geez- alot of .30 sides
9.gif
)

7stone%20on%20hand2.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s Noobie''s Wife''s
1.36 center
.60 sides each

DSC0161.jpg

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Melissa Sue''s

.95 center
sides are .30 each
ringhandshot1.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Don''t forget these proportions
Didiamond''s
3.94 center with 1ct each sides
31.gif

RB3stonering.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Who could forget that sucker!!!
31.gif
30.gif
30.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Here is an old post on this topic with some nice photos showing how different sized side stones might look. It helped me decide on the size of the sides I wanted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2005 1:47:35 PM
Author: kaleigh
Who could forget that sucker!!!
31.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I TRY TO EVERY DAY!!
39.gif
Why want what I cannot have?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
That''s a great link Betrand

3stones.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
I really like the smaller sides stones because it make the center stone pop out and look bigger. Wow now I''m considering the three stone truffle ring so I don''t have to wear two rings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results