shape
carat
color
clarity

Proportionally Confused

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
I thought I did a reasonable good job going through the Pricescope tutorial, and selected some stones. The e-merchant I''m working with doesn''t have the Sarin specs on their site, they get them as I indicate my interest. The first report rolled in and I ran the numbers in the cut advisor and they only came back "Very Good" with a score of 2.7 here are Sarin specs, can someone please coach me as to what would make this stone score under 2.0?

Measurements 6.67 X 6.72 X 4.11
Depth 61.3%
Crown
Angle 34.6
% 14.7% (image blurred)
Pavillion
Angle 41.1
% 42.7%
Table
MM 3.84
% 57.3
Culet 0.7%
NOTE GIA lists no Culet?
Girdle 1.7% (1.1 2.3)

Thanks... I''m still learning is a .7% culet small enough to be considered unimportant by GIA?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just played around with your #s a bit and this is what I found:

Your HCA diamond score AS IS: 2.7 VG (wouldn't buy it IMO, as while HCA should not be the ONLY factor in your decision, choosing a stone that scores almost 3.0 on the HCA is a red flag that you should heed esp before purchase)

Changing the pav angle to 41 as opposed to 41.1: Changes score to 2.0 (right on cusp of VG/EX)

Changing the pav angle to 40.9 as opposed to 41.1: Changes score to 1.7 EX

Changing pav angle to 40.8 as opposed to 41.1: Changes score to 1.4 EX

Changing the crown angle from 34.6 to 34 made very minimal differences (from HCA score 2.7 to 2.2) so it really appears as though the pav angle could be ONE FACTOR that is pushing this stone into the high 2 range of the HCA. Pav angles are pretty crucial, as are crown angles, but with pav angles, tiny differences make a huge overall difference.

Hope this helps! Maybe an expert can weigh in with their thoughts. The depth, table, girdle etc all look pretty good from an overall eyeball perspective.

Good luck...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
MichaelF,

As Mara wrote, HCA would prefer if the diamond would have crown angle 40.9 - 40.5
1.gif

However, the numbers still look very good you might not see a difference.
What is the carat, color, clarity and price for the stone?

Keep in mind, Sarin measurements can have >=0.1 deg error (e.g. Diamension model is more accurate than BrilliantEye).

I just don't want a nice diamond to be rejected because of small difference in HCA score
1.gif

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Leonid & Mara,

Thanks for the replies... I'm learning a ton, this internet process is taking a bit more time than I would have thought, but in the end I think I'll end up with a much nicer ring for my efforts... Here are the remaining specs:

1.18 Carats
VS2 Clarity
Color Grade G

Price $5,942

This the low end of my price range, in short I'm trying to put an engagement ring together for under $10,000 (that's my budget). I started working with a local B&M (Mervis Diamond Importers) and got turned off. I switched to e-providers and found them to be more responsive and cost effective. Do all e-merchants not publish Sarin data? Waiting a day or two for this is dragging on a bit...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock

Diameter of this stone is rather inline with 1.13 ct diamond. Price sounds reasonable though.

What about polish and symmetry?[/u][/u]

Attachments

• MichaelF.gem
    1.3 KB · Views: 28

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I ran a quick search on Pscope and found the following. There are some interesting stones here, this is using the cut quality search on Pscope and it runs angles through HCA with other avail data to give you the HCA score.

You will note that similar size stones and color/clarity are slightly more exp than your stone at $5900 but the quality of these stones as posted will most likely be hands above this stone you are considering. Esp if you are considering this stone from an e-vendor, I would highly suggest you view other stones such as these that score under or around 2.0 on HCA. This stone at 2.7 as Leo noted may be a beauty, but since you are buying online, sight-unseen anyway, why not find a stone with more backup/supporting data that knocks your socks off for a little more money? Your budget is very healthy...I would spend most of the money on the stone and being sure that it's amazing...then get a nice setting with the remainder and/or stay simple all the way and pocket a few extra grand in savings (for the wedding!).

Good luck!
1.gif

michaelF screenshot.jpg

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
Leonid...

Both polish and symmetry are "VG"...

Thanks for the tools, I didn't know about the other search and have been using the basic search. The one Mara used makes dialing in the cut a little easier...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leo--in the next revision of the site I'd like to humbly suggest that you make the 'cut quality' search more prominent near the 'basic search' so that people can choose either or but really know their options. It took me a few months to find the cut quality search but now it's really all I like to use due to the angles being readily available!
1.gif

dancingmelimel

Shiny_Rock
Just want to mention that I had some frustration using the "Cut Quality" search because I found so many of the stones listed there were no longer available.

My solution to this issue, (and possibly a slightly more expensive one,) was to directly search for diamonds only on those sights where thorough cut info was readily available. I personally really ended up searching only on Good Old Gold and Whiteflash. (On Whiteflash, if you search only A Cut Above diamonds you'll have all the info you need right there.)

Perhaps Leonid, there's some way to keep the "Cut "Quality" inventory more current?

-Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results