shape
carat
color
clarity

Proportion Question for Three Stone Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
A few months ago, I bought a white beryl from Gemrite with the intention of creating a "fun" ring. Well, the cut on this stone turned out to be very nice and sparkles! I have always wanted a 3-stone ring and would like to design something with sidestones and wanted to know what a "pleasing" ratio would be. The white beryl is 8mm (round) and I know this question is quite subjective, so I am prepared for different opinions.

As for side stones, I am not sure what I want yet, but something that will add a pop of color. What I am after right now is to decide on the ratio of the center stone to the side stones and also mull around what I would want in terms of side stones.

ETA: the photo of the stone on Gemrite seems to show a bit of light blue, which I cannot see in real life. In fact, it is rather white in real life. http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=226

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For a round center stone of 8 mm, I think side stones shouldn''t be smaller than 3 mm each, assuming they''ll also be round. The upper limit is determined by your hand/finger size and shape, as well as your taste. Since the stone itself is not small, you want side stones that will serve as a connection between the center and the shank, in every sense, including size (in other words you want them to be a step between the stone and the shank). You can also have them exactly the same size as the width of the shank, but that''s the most effective if the side stones and the shank are the same color (rose/yellow/white), so that they almost "blend in the shank", or form a continuation of it.

If you don''t want them to be round, the possibilities are almost endless as a lot of things can look nice - ovals, cushions, trillions, hearts, pears, marquises, tapered baguettes...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/18/2009 7:30:38 PM
Author:omieluv
A few months ago, I bought a white beryl from Gemrite with the intention of creating a 'fun' ring. Well, the cut on this stone turned out to be very nice and sparkles! I have always wanted a 3-stone ring and would like to design something with sidestones and wanted to know what a 'pleasing' ratio would be. The white beryl is 8mm (round) and I know this question is quite subjective, so I am prepared for different opinions.

As for side stones, I am not sure what I want yet, but something that will add a pop of color. What I am after right now is to decide on the ratio of the center stone to the side stones and also mull around what I would want in terms of side stones.

ETA: the photo of the stone on Gemrite seems to show a bit of light blue, which I cannot see in real life. In fact, it is rather white in real life. http://www.gemrite.com/cubecart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=226
Link is clickable. OK, it doesn't like the link. I'll try something else.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is.

Stone: Goshenite (Beryl)
Weight: 1.64 cts.
Clarity: VS
Dimensions: 7.85x 7.85x 5.26mm
Design: Round Brilliant
Origin: Brazil
Treatment: None
Cut by: John B.
Notes: This is a nice clear beryl.

goshenite1a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is quite large at nearly 8 mm. I would think something around 3 mm will allow the center stone to shine. The most common sidestone shape for a round center stone is rounds, but pears will work too.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My zircon ring is a 8.3mm square cushion and the side stones are 3.5mm squares. My ring size is 7 1/4. This picture kind of gives an idea of finger coverage.

kiz-zirconring10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results