shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper thickness of necklace for 0.5 ct princess cut diamond

Rnm

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Subject line pretty much says it all. :)

I'm leaning toward a 14kt white gold wheat chain for this. Diamond is 4.4 x 4.3 mm and it will be set in a diamond-type orientation, not square (if you get my meaning). I don't want the necklace to detract from the solitaire of course. Would 2 mm thickness be about appropriate?

Thanks for helping out an ignorant man. :)

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Re: Proper thickness of necklace for 0.5 ct princess cut dia

Hi Rnm

are you sure the recipient wants the diamond-type rather than square orientation? It is a more unusual and riskier choice, generally quite a bit less popular at the moment.

I don't know this company but just for the image, this is a nice way to set a princess-cut stone.

http://www.debebians.com/diamond-princess-pendant.html

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A voice from the other setting-type camp!
I just got a pair of princess dangle earrings set the way you are planning and love that kite-set orientation.

Rnm

Rough_Rock

@coralfish:

Yep, she picked out that orientation herself. We're both a bit non-conformist. :twirl:

But anyway, whatcha think of that 2mm thickness idea? And I am open to suggestions on style of chain as well. She has long wavy hair, no babies anymore, and we're fairly active. I imagine this will become an everyday sort of necklace.

Thx all for helping!

Rnm

Rough_Rock

@Jimmianne:

Thx for the vote of confidence! :)

I've always been of the opinion, wear what you like, eventually you'll be in style again... even if it's every 40 years or so. :rolleyes:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not an expert, just a necklace owner. In my opinion 2 mm is kinda thick especially when the stone is just over 4 mm. I have a very sturdy box chain that holds my heavier pendants and that is only 1.2 mm or so. I sleep with that one with the pendant for days at a time (gasp). I have another lighter, but still strong, box chain that is about 1 mm and an even daintier box (that I don't ever sleep in) that is 0.8 mm.

I don't know much about wheat chains, but I prefer links that are solid, not where they can slip out of each other. If that makes sense.

Look at a ruler to see how thick 2 mm is. It might be just what you want. I prefer thinner.

Rnm

Rough_Rock

@ringo865:

Thx for the input! I have done a ruler comparison but I have neither the set stone nor the necklace in hand, so it's all kinda cerebral for me at the moment. I was told box chains are definitely sturdy, but I guess I just didn't personally like the look... they just feel kinda blah... I was thinking a wheat may add some extra visual interest as well as light catching potential.

I appreciate your input on the 2mm being potentially too thick a look for a stone of that size. Coming from one who's already got experience in wearing these things, it really helps!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi. :wavey: I have the exact princess cut pendant you are describing (orientation and all) only mine is 1ct size. I love that orientation too - I think it looks more elegant that way around. :)

I too have agonised over the right design and thickness of chain to put it on. I was wearing mine on a diamond cut 2mm Italian chain but in all honesty the chain is fighting with the diamond for attention. I finally settled on a 1mm chain which is very solid looking but has a high shine and sparkle to it. The proportions seem to work well with the pendant and now the pendant is the star.

I would think that your .5ct diamond would also look lovely on a 1mm chain. Any thinner than that (depending on the type of chain) and I would be worried about the possibility of the chain breaking the pendant being lost.

Hope this helps.

Rnm

Rough_Rock

diamondhoarder|1457108497|3999737 said:
Hi. :wavey: I have the exact princess cut pendant you are describing (orientation and all) only mine is 1ct size. I love that orientation too - I think it looks more elegant that way around. :)

I too have agonised over the right design and thickness of chain to put it on. I was wearing mine on a diamond cut 2mm Italian chain but in all honesty the chain is fighting with the diamond for attention. I finally settled on a 1mm chain which is very solid looking but has a high shine and sparkle to it. The proportions seem to work well with the pendant and now the pendant is the star.

I would think that your .5ct diamond would also look lovely on a 1mm chain. Any thinner than that (depending on the type of chain) and I would be worried about the possibility of the chain breaking the pendant being lost.

Hope this helps.

Very much! As time goes on I'm leaning more towards about a 1.3 mm to try to balance out the strength vs. stone size/chain thickness ratio...

@diamondhoarder, can you be more specific about the Italian style of chain you used? I've seen quite a few chains all have Italian in their name, but different styles.

thx much!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you have not kids to worry about, I'd go with a lighter and probably a simpler chain, especially if you don't have a chance to see the chain in person before you commit to it. Some wheat style chains aren't absolutely fluid; they form a slight "u" where the pendant hangs rather than a "v" shape. This is fine for larger pendants, but IMHO will detract from a more delicate pendant.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

What kind of bail does your pendant have? I ask because it can make a difference (together with the type of chain you choose) as to whether the diamond sits flat and doesn't twist from side to side. Its very annoying when it twists because it tends to get the diamond smeary quickly (from moisturiser, perfume etc). I initially bought a 1mm diamond cut flattened trace chain for my pendant, which was very sparkly and pretty but because it was so fluid the diamond kept flipping from side to side when I moved. The chain I ended up with is less fluid and at the 16" length I am wearing it, it looks a little more "solid" rather than fluid and there is no twisting of the pendant at all.

Here are the 3 chains: top is the final chain I am using for the pendant - 1mm
2nd down is the sparkle trace chain which allowed the princess diamond pendant to keep flipping. The slider pendant which is on that chain now sits perfectly and doesn't flip.
Bottom chain is the Italian cut 1.8mm chain. It also stopped the pendant from flipping but its just too heavy with the pendant.

2nd pic shows the pendant on the 1mm chain - its final home, next to the others for comparison

Final pic is on the neck - you can properly see the proportions on the neck, and also the slinky high shine look you get with this type of chain.

gemma_040.jpg

gemma_041.jpg

gemma_044.jpg

Rnm

Rough_Rock

@diamondhoarder
WOW, that's some exceptionally helpful guidance. I do like the look of your final choice. And that's an incredible stone.

To answer your first question, it's a split, or a V shape.

That 1mm may really just do the trick... I'm going to go back and spend some time looking at those pics some more.

Ok, one last question... what is the name of the final 1 mm chain you are using, and that one is 16" also, correct?

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Glad to have helped :)

The final chain I am using is called (in the UK, from the place I bought it) an omega chain. But that name is sometimes also used to describe a rounded wire type necklace which is quite stiff and springy and sits in a perfect circle on the neck. Those types don't always work well with delicate pendants, so be careful what you ask for. Perhaps if you showed some photos to your jeweler they can source something similar for you?

I think I found a necklace with a similar link on Ebay whilst I was doing my search. I will see if I can find it and post the link.

Rnm

Rough_Rock

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Will you promise to come back and post pics of the finished item (including shots on the neck) ? :) I'd really love to see how your project turns out.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock

yes, please post the final picture. I am also after a kite shape princess cut-

:appl:

Rnm

Rough_Rock

Give me about a week for all the pieces to come in. I will get the finished product on then, but it'll be mid april before i can get a neck pic. For the record here's the necklace im going with for now... Still have time to change my mind if the combo doesn't work for me before the presentation.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LCI0K4K/ref=ya_st_dp_summary

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results