shape
carat
color
clarity

Proper Setting for a Small ACA Diamond

Adam450

Rough_Rock
Hey all, new here.

I've been reading through lots of forums and made my way over to WhiteFlash to look at some ACAs between 0.5-0.7ct due to budget for a solitaire engagement ring, white gold. Maybe a silly question but...being as I want to show off the superb cut and excellent fire and sparkle I hope to get with an ACA, does the setting I chose make a huge impact? I don't really know, but intuitively it seems like a 6-prong setting would obstruct too much light and limit visibility given the size. Are 6-prong settings typically reserved for big stones to add to the security of the setting or are they common for smaller stones as well? No point in buying a smaller higher quality diamond if it isn't set properly, right?

I haven't picked out a rock yet, but I've been looking at these so far:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2649049.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2656297.htm

Perhaps with a classic setting like:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/comfort-fit-surprise-diamond-ring-183.htm
That's a 4-prong, but I'm a little concerned because the bottom half seems to be covered? Could this potentially affect the brilliance?

Any help and advice is certainly appreciated!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think a 6-prong setting would look lovely with that size stone. definitely will not obstruct too much light.

ETA I like the setting you posted...I think that would look really nice. If you want a more 'open' setting so that you see more of the diamond nothing wrong with that, but there is no concern with the setting you chose.

these are also nice solitaires

6 prong
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm

legato
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would consider a 6 prong setting vs a 4 prong. A 4 prong setting can make a stone of that size look a bit square, whereas a 6 prong gives it a nice, round outline.

Adam450

Rough_Rock
Any comments on those diamonds? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like going much clearer or colorless wouldn't help much.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
both diamonds look good. I would ask if the SI1 is eye-clean.

silviagbc

Rough_Rock
I've been having the same dilemma and 2 jewellers recommended 4 prongs for my 0.53ct as it shows off more of the diamond. IF the prongs are too thick, they can look square, but I've been told it's easy enough to shave them down if you feel they are too big. In saying that, my current setting is 6 prong and I love that too, but I think it's the diamond I love, don't really mind the prongs around it..

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam450|1312860764|2986948 said:
Any comments on those diamonds? Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like going much clearer or colorless wouldn't help much.

Both those stones will be lovely and I really like the setting you picked out. I wouldnt consider a .7ish stone a small stone.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Those two diamonds are lovely. Make sure the first one is eye clean.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1312911889|2987294 said:
I actually have always had 4 prong settings and the diamond looks round, not square. It's really a matter of preference. I like both 4 and 6 prong settings.

My favorite WF 4 prong setting is this:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/legato-sleek-line-solitaire-engagement-ring-728.htm

My favorite WF 6 prong setting is this:

https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-713.htm

Agreed. I have a 4 prong setting and my stone looks around. I think more of the diamond shows in a 4 prong setting. Either way- I like both 4 and 6 prong settings are a great choice.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a stupid question at all - there's no doubt that technically covering more of the diamond will reduce end light output, the questions are how much "cover" and how much reduction. Long story short - with a well-cut diamond like yours, that intakes and spits out the majority of light from the top, you could completely encase the bottom and it would still outshine most others! So practically speaking it's nothing to worry about, especially as you're not actually proposing entirely covering the bottom. If you had a poorly cut stone that allows significant amounts of light that enters from the top to escape out the bottom then it would be a practical concern.

I like 6prongs for this size RB - to my eyes 4 do make the stone look squarish from afar.

Adam450

Rough_Rock
So, once you have picked a stone you think you like but you aren't ready to pull the trigger for a few weeks or even a month or two...

Does that just mean I started to early and I'll have to find a new one in a month or two? I would reserve it but I feel like it's bad to have it on reserve for that long. How long is it acceptable to have a stone on reserve before you upset people or you have to either buy it or let it go?

On a different note... WF, GOG can't share inventory of settings can they? I like a stone at WF but I like a setting at GOG... :S

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Adam450|1313097938|2988822 said:
So, once you have picked a stone you think you like but you aren't ready to pull the trigger for a few weeks or even a month or two...

Does that just mean I started to early and I'll have to find a new one in a month or two? I would reserve it but I feel like it's bad to have it on reserve for that long. How long is it acceptable to have a stone on reserve before you upset people or you have to either buy it or let it go?

On a different note... WF, GOG can't share inventory of settings can they? I like a stone at WF but I like a setting at GOG... :S

No - most places will place a 24hr reserve on a stone, so you'll have to hunt for a new one when you're ready to buy. At such a common size/clarity/colour/pricepoint the stones move quickly, and with the way prices are jumping I can't think of any that would be willing to hold a stone at current price for weeks.

On the plus side, now you know exactly what you're looking for, so when you're ready to buy you can jump on it, and be sure you don't fall prey to having the one you want snatched out from under you - or having to deal with a price jump while you're deciding!

You can buy a stone from one vendor and have another set it, you just need to take extra precautions wrt insuring the stone for shipping and setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results