shape
carat
color
clarity

Prongs: which are best???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
The overall consensus is that platinum prongs are the strongest-- my local B&M says so also. I always thought platinum was a softer metal (as opposed to white gold). So, wouldn''t it bend more than WG and make it weaker in comparison? I don''t know whether to go with plat or WG for my e-ring. The band itself is WG. Thanks all
37.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Most people and jewelers consider platinum prongs to be safer. Although platinum is a softer metal, platinum does not wear down in time. Meaning your prongs will not slowly get thinner and thinner with wear and tear. Also, gold is more brittle, so a prong can easily break completely off, while a platinum prong will likely just bend. Plus the platinum prongs will not yellow over time either (compared to WG).

tiger007g

Shiny_Rock
I will attest to a personal preference for platinum. Several years ago, I got my finger (and 6-prong platinum e-ring) slammed in a car door. My first concern was for my ring - not that I could have broken a finger!! The head of my ring caught the brunt of the force and the prongs were smushed on one side and stretched out on the other. I drove straight to a local jeweler - my stone was undamaged and my ring was repairable...

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Platinum bends under pressure.....white gold breaks.

When I had my jewelry store I switched to platinum only settings after two customers lost their diamonds from white gold settings.

I never had another loss after switching to platinum.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
white gold is harder so it can be more brittle where platinum DOES bend...definitely platinum!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys!!! I''ll be postin pics soon!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would agree with everyone and say PLT. Why take the risk with WG?

JeffG

Rough_Rock
Well, i''m having to take that risk because of the X-prong setting I am getting. The X-prong is can only be made from one metal, and I decided against an all-platinum setting, so we''ll see what happens!

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff G,
X-prongs are usually thicker, so you should be fine. I have never had any problems with my white gold prongs...one time I did drop my ring on cement and the prong bent, but it didn''t break. It was fixed and back on my hand within a week.
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results