shape
carat
color
clarity

prongs and facets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know what the "line" is where two facets meet is called - but is it possible to put the prongs on those lines without sacrificing a good setting? Or do they have to be on the flat part of the facet to be set well?

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
The two facets meet at a junction or point. I am no stone setter but it seems like it would be tough to get a good snug fit on a facet junction that would be secure without endagering that same junction with a fracture or chip from heavy point loads. I don''t think it is practical or wise but others more knowledgable in that field may or may not disagree. We''ll see...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2006 5:57:56 PM
Author: C Smith
The two facets meet at a junction or point. I am no stone setter but it seems like it would be tough to get a good snug fit on a facet junction that would be secure without endagering that same junction with a fracture or chip from heavy point loads. I don''t think it is practical or wise but others more knowledgable in that field may or may not disagree. We''ll see...
this was my logic as well, but I was hoping I was wrong.... I''m having 8 prongs and I want to avoid the 8 main kite facets so that leaves 4 facets around each corner.... the two closest to the corner would likely be most obvious but I really don''t want it to look like double prongs on the corner.... and the two next to the main facets seem maybe too far out so I was hoping I could split the difference... I''ll have to think about this! and maybe someone will come and tell me it''s okay but logically I bet they don''t :/

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
It is generally safer (for the setter,and for stone security) to place prongs on the flat areas.
For example- a brilliant cut round diamond has 8 large kite shape facets.With a 4 prong setting,i would use 4 of the large kite shape facets (evenly spaced)! to place the prongs on.
This means the prongs will be flush to a flat surface promoting security. # note:kite shape facets unused are directly between the prongs.

Now,if you were to turn the stone slightly and set the prongs ON the junction of the smaller facets, #note:smaller facets junctions in between the prongs.

Note that the table of the stone has a square shape? and the corners line up with the prongs now? this is called set "square-on".

I prefer unsquare on myself as it means setting on the flat surface. However either way is ok,and just a matter of personal preference,though theoretically can you disagree that using the flat area is safer?!

Hope you understand my explanation
19.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/1/2006 1:09:06 AM
Author: Londonchris
It is generally safer (for the setter,and for stone security) to place prongs on the flat areas.
For example- a brilliant cut round diamond has 8 large kite shape facets.With a 4 prong setting,i would use 4 of the large kite shape facets (evenly spaced)! to place the prongs on.
This means the prongs will be flush to a flat surface promoting security. # note:kite shape facets unused are directly between the prongs.

Now,if you were to turn the stone slightly and set the prongs ON the junction of the smaller facets, #note:smaller facets junctions in between the prongs.

Note that the table of the stone has a square shape? and the corners line up with the prongs now? this is called set ''square-on''.

I prefer unsquare on myself as it means setting on the flat surface. However either way is ok,and just a matter of personal preference,though theoretically can you disagree that using the flat area is safer?!

Hope you understand my explanation
19.gif
With the greatest of respect Chris, most settings are 6 prong and with 6 prong it is impossible to avoid setting some on or very near the ridge on the upper girdle facets - but really - we are talking about a teeny weeny little bump that is not an issue. we set colored gems that are off round and with far bigger glitches than this issue.

It is simply not a problem for a setter or the setting process.

If you want a stone arranged in a certain direction then ask and it should be done.

Personally I try to get my guys to look for the thinnest parts of the girdle and other features like inclusions we can cover with prongs to protect them or reduce the chance to see them and accomplish those tasks.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Was just an example i gave.
I agree with what you say.
It`s not a big deal,and best to cover any inclusions and avoid very thin girdle areas agreed
1.gif

Even with a 6 claw you need to decide wether to have the stone "square-on" or not just for looks, though the issue of wether setting on flat or join is no longer relevant as you have no choice.
Agreed?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay london and garry - I appreciate your answers and your debate (hehe) but if I may just get specific to my stone I''d appreciate additonal input. First of all you just can''t find any inclusions with a 10x so it is very "eye clean".. second it has a med-sl thk girdle so an ultra thin girdle isn''t an issue either.... it is a new cut old mine brilliant cushion with a 1:1.26 ratio... and I want 8 prongs. Here are the three configurations I can imagine in my head, with #3 being by far my favorite for placement.... but the prongs are then on the facet junctions. I think the prongs are going to cover too much of the side views in #1 and in #2 they look too much like split prongs which is also not what I''m going for.... so #3 is my fav but not if it is going to mean chipping the stone or having a loose stone... based on your debate I *could* do #3 but is that not recommended?

cbprongs.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 3:18:07 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
#3 will not be a problem at all C
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks Garry!! It just looks so much more *right* to me not to mention it doesn''t cover up the facets
41.gif

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Seconded
9.gif

No problem.If you want 8 prongs (we call them claws in the UK) and you like #3.......go get it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 4:39:11 PM
Author: Londonchris
Seconded
9.gif

No problem.If you want 8 prongs (we call them claws in the UK) and you like #3.......go get it.
thanks!! anyone besides me starting to crave watermelon??? hahaha! (the prongs look like seeds :D )

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results