shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong to bezel? Is it possible?

Barnlady

Rough_Rock
Good Day, Everyone! I am done with prong settings for my solitaire engagement ring. Whacked my hand and stone flew off.
Can I put a bezel head on where the prongs used to be or do I have to buy a whole new ring? I know they sell the bezel heads for about 100.00 in 14K, but I dont understand if this bezel sits on the ring itself, or is wrapped around the stone which sits on the prongs. This engagement ring is welded to the very wide wedding band which has kept me from losing it (again). I am trying to to everything possible to protect this ring setup and please understand that I do rough work and never take my rings off. Thanks for all of your input - Barnlady

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends.

I know shanks and stone settings can be purchased as separate components for them to be welded together to form a ring by jewellers.

However, it depends on how the ring was made and other considerations.

It may help if you could post a photo or two of your ring.

DK :))

Barnlady

Rough_Rock
Hi DK, This is what is left. The engagement ring is soldered to the wedding ring.
I want the new stone to be set in a full bezel setting as such: click here
I am thinking the stone will be a hair upwards of 1.6 CW.

I really wanted to find a channel setting for the stone. I am sick of losing them and sick of smashing them. But I have not found anything other than custom and that is way out of my price range.

I have found that there is a penalty from these diamond vendors if you buy a setting separately from a center stone. I have found most stones I like only have IGI certification. I cannot find any GCAL stones.

Is IGI reputable for LG stones?

So, I guess my question is....does anyone see a problem with me welding the new stone and ring to the wedding ring? Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• remains.jpg
    remains.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 18

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
To be honest, I'd find a flexible jeweller who can melt down your existing band and create a bezel setting for you. I don't think the setting will be weak but with all the work that will go into getting a bezel head component to seamlessly work in with your existing band, a jeweller can draw up a new CAD and cast a new setting much faster and at less cost.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They can un-solder those two rings. Then a jeweler could purchase or assemble a new bezel setting that would sit flush against that wedding band, and could be soldered to it. The bezel is going to be pretty tall, though, to sit above the wedding band. It would have to be some variety of floating bezel if you want the 2 rings to sit flush.
https://www.jamesallen.com/engageme...-bezel-set-diamond-engagement-ring-item-53364 for example

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Given the number of prongs I suspect they were loose. I guess it’s possible to knock it out but 6 prong settings are pretty secure

I’d also get your wedding band prongs checked by a jeweler while you’re at it - some of the prongs look pretty eroded and I’d hate for you to lose a diamond - the one I circled isn’t even touching the stone anymore

05CD6716-E7A2-4ECE-8AD8-5076D902B6A0.jpeg

Lakefront

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure where you’re located but both Spur Jewelry and Wend Jewelry are known for repurposing your old metal and stones to make something new.

It cuts down on the cost and allows you to put your old jewelry into a new setting that works best for you. You can send them your pieces and they will send you back the new jewelry. Both are very well respected.

Barnlady

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your considered responses. And thank you, Cerulean for noticing the prong issue. That ring is 34 years old and I am a farmer who does not take her rings off since losing the engagement one in 1996.

I have devoured the information here and have found a "golden bathtub" click here to see it setting on Frank Darling website. This is as solid of a setting as I can find and have decided to wear the solitaire on one hand and the wedding band on the other since the 'bathtub' is not stackable.

Since Frank Darling won't sell a setting without a stone I am forced into getting a stone from them. Their prices are attractive. Are they that a reputable vendor in your collective opinions???

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Since Frank Darling won't sell a setting without a stone I am forced into getting a stone from them. Their prices are attractive. Are they that a reputable vendor in your collective opinions???

I think this is the best option and to be honest, probably more cost effective. Frank Darling has a lot of happy customers here and you can probably find a number of threads about various purchases.

Barnlady

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Monipod. Two more questions. I have been looking for the HTHP LGDs but all I can find is the CVD ones. Are they really that hard to find?

Regarding the GCAL reports. I have seen some very poor diamonds sporting a GCAL. I thought GCAL stones were supposed to be top notch? Thanks all, for your help.

Lakefront - I live in a town with 3000 people and 1500 horses. We have 2 jewelry stores. One jeweler welded my rings on crooked. The other one died.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
To be honest, I worry the shank on the Frank Darling is much too thin if you’re wearing your rings while working. Gold is relatively soft and can go out of round. I’d get something that is at least 3mm thick if you can.

More like this….

Is there a bigger town nearby where you can go? My mom lives in Wisconsin. For example she lives in a small town but will drive to Green Bay for things like a jeweler.

Barnlady

Rough_Rock
Cerulean!!! Thats the ticket!!! Thank you, thank you. Big, rugged and just my style.
Now to see if JA will accept my stone.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Cerulean!!! Thats the ticket!!! Thank you, thank you. Big, rugged and just my style.
Now to see if JA will accept my stone.

I like chunky too! So glad you like it! Fingers crossed for you

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Monipod. Two more questions. I have been looking for the HTHP LGDs but all I can find is the CVD ones. Are they really that hard to find?

Regarding the GCAL reports. I have seen some very poor diamonds sporting a GCAL. I thought GCAL stones were supposed to be top notch? Thanks all, for your help.

Lakefront - I live in a town with 3000 people and 1500 horses. We have 2 jewelry stores. One jeweler welded my rings on crooked. The other one died.

In case you're still looking for a stone, it's GCAL 8x stones that are top-notch. It's also easier to find HPHT stones in D-E color.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results