shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong settings...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have several stones which I plan to set but which I know will darken in bezel or even halo setting. Does anyone have recommendations regarding really nice jewellers who do good work with prongs? Nice, not simple settings, but no halos or bezels? Perhaps someone would post threads?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Crasru !!!

What will you be setting ....?? :naughty: :naughty:
I've been away for a week (must. get. laptop. ) and have to say, I am looking for the same thing !
I will be waiting for suggestions to come rolling in, as well.....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cast or handmade?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - handmade.

oo~Shiney - I think of setting my sapphire first, then whatever comes next.

Unfortunately, I like darker stones which limits my choice of settings. I am working on a new bezel project but even this one is going to be an open bezel. Also, I like it when the light passes through the stone. I should be able to find my own thread with excellent commentary by Michael E. He explains why closing the back of the stone is not advantageous. If I am able to pull together all commentaries by Chrono, it will also be extremely educative, or maybe she'll consider doing it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone mentions Greenlake...

Also, there is a place and I forgot its name, Hunt or Hill or something... they made an aqua ring for a girl who is not a PS regular. I can not find the post, either. From what I understand, they are closer to the East Coast... PA? NJ? Something like it. I liked their work.

Any other ideas? I want to make a list of jewelers who make good work in prong settings so that I could happily buy the stones of the colors I prefer without asking myself, "how am I going to set it"?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never worked with Greenlake but their designs and workmanship (for the most part) look impeccable. They are pricey though so expect $2K and upwards easily.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
crasru|1305120118|2918405 said:

Also, there is a place and I forgot its name, Hunt or Hill or something... they made an aqua ring for a girl who is not a PS regular. I can not find the post, either. From what I understand, they are closer to the East Coast... PA? NJ? Something like it. I liked their work.

Any other ideas? I want to make a list of jewelers who make good work in prong settings so that I could happily buy the stones of the colors I prefer without asking myself, "how am I going to set it"?

Are you thinking of Kelpie's rings made by Hunt Country Jewelers? I think they're somewhere in Virginia.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
Hunt Country made Kelpie's beautiful pink tourmaline ring http://huntcountry.com/HCJ/HCJHome.jsp. She also has a three stone from them. I got a quote from them and I felt that their prices were really reasonable (<1000). Greenlake runs much higher than that. Something to consider if you like both looks.

pinktourm741 014.JPG

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I went through a quoting process with Greenlake for a diamond I wanted set (back in the fall) and for a simple ring, handmade, just 4 almost melee sized side stones, in wg, I was quoted under 2k. They're not always very highly priced, but this ring also didn't have any engraving.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Does Hunt Country work with outside stones or do you have to buy them there? Couldn't find that on their website.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
They will set outside stones.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Are hunt country's prongs hand made? Can someone explain/compare differences between handmade and cast prongs? Thanks.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I looked up their website, and liked some of their items, they look a little bit like what James Meyer does. Not all of them, but some. I shall give them a call when I get back. I am making other lists, too, so if anyone can post links, it will be much appreciated.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Atwater|1305141363|2918856 said:
Are hunt country's prongs hand made? Can someone explain/compare differences between handmade and cast prongs? Thanks.

I think Chrono's question referred not to prongs, but to finished product.

Casting is a technique used to produce different metal items. Not necessarily jewelry. Handmade item can be cast, forged, etched, engraved, what not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost-wax_casting

Casting produces beautiful items, many of them unique, and it has been used since antique times. Note, however, that it also allows to produce multiple identical copies of the same product if you retain the original mold.

There is a good book, "Cast Jewelry", in the Masters series.

Please correct me, Chrono, if I interpreted your question incorrectly. In my mother tongue, the word "casting" has two meanings, a) lost-wax casting and, b) mass-produced.

Hunt Country's jewelers do not use mass-produced settings but make their own.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
I would def recommend my jeweler. He does the most awesome delicate prong and pave work. Basically can do anything you want. Handmade or cast, and is incredible to work with.

Joel McFadden Designs

http://www.jmdjewelry.com/

or

http://uniqueengagementringsnj.com/

I know they are re-doing their website.
If you contact them you will probably get Jen - tell her I sent you. :)

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Crasru, did you s/w Hunt Country?
I asked them about a piece a few months ago and they were very nice.
They had a mold of the ring I was interested in for a stone I have.
They made a wax casting and took a bunch of pictures to show me.
then quoted a price for the finished ring in various metals, I think.
I liked them.
That said, I wasn't ready to commit at the time, so didn't buy.

I am still into just collecting the loose stones, some day they will all get settings, though... :sun:

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1305143741|2918901 said:
Atwater|1305141363|2918856 said:

I think Chrono's question referred not to prongs, but to finished product.

Casting is a technique used to produce different metal items. Not necessarily jewelry. Handmade item can be cast, forged, etched, engraved, what not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost-wax_casting

Casting produces beautiful items, many of them unique, and it has been used since antique times. Note, however, that it also allows to produce multiple identical copies of the same product if you retain the original mold.

There is a good book, "Cast Jewelry", in the Masters series.

Please correct me, Chrono, if I interpreted your question incorrectly. In my mother tongue, the word "casting" has two meanings, a) lost-wax casting and, b) mass-produced.

Hunt Country's jewelers do not use mass-produced settings but make their own.

Crasru, thank you for the information. I did think lost-wax casting was how they made their prongs and I interpreted casting as low-wax casting, so I was confused to see comparing casting with handmade.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not so sure myself... Please take into account that I am very jet-lagged, tired and hence confused these days because today I have a totally different interpretation of what was meant... :lol:

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
crasru|1305120118|2918405 said:

I think this is the aqua you are talking about https://www.pricescope.com/communit...h-my-aquamarine.154013/#post-2817665#p2817665.

My pendant is from HCJ- they can hand fabricate if they need to in order to achieve a particular component, but, as I understand it, they work with wax in a positive and negative carving style that allows them to create just about anything in wax to be cast. And I believe they do everything onsite, from refining and alloying their own gold, to casting and finishing the peice. I think it's worth calling them, or if you are close enough to stop by, just to hear them talk about the process. It's just the three family members (parents and son) making everything and it was really fun for me to watch the piece unfold and have someone involved in that process really willing- excited even!- to talk me through the whole thing.

Best of luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results