shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong setting: Is the center bar needed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joshua1745

Rough_Rock
Here''s my delema. I am making a custom ring similar to this scott kay. I am trying to decide whether to leave the bar just below the girdle of the center diamond in or not. On the scott kay its not present but I was afraid that without it the overall rigidity was poor and if 1 stone became loose all stones would become loose. Is this the purpose of that center bar b/c usually the diamond is just sitting above the bar? I notice that pretty much all rings except tiffany solitaires with thick prongs have the center bar.

pcopejpg2.JPG

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Someone on here recently bent back a prong and out popped her stone. When she went to get it repaired, they added that bar because they felt the prongs just were not sturdy enough without it. She definitely was pleased with the results.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
be safe. get the bar.
2.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thread I was referring to: LINK

joshua1745

Rough_Rock
I believe the center bar is called a seating ring, and from what I read its a little bit more rigid of a structure.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
My question is what is holding in the side diamonds? From the angle on the picture it doesn''t look like there is any support. Sorry if I am incorrect as I know nothing about settings.....just the way it looks:)

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
joshua1745,

Definitely keep the center bar. It''ll cut your "loose diamond" problems in half.

soulsis,

The side diamonds are held in a three prong type arrangement, although the inside prong might be more of a bar-set type setting.

Joshua - do you have a"top-down" shot showing the detail?

jenna_g

Rough_Rock
Keep the bar. I like the way it looks, and it''ll give you peace of mind!

Sidenote -- My fiance got my engagement ring from DimendScaasi, and I adore it! :) He felt really good about his purchase & working with Isaac.

joshua1745

Rough_Rock
Did you get that same ring that I had pictured from DScaasi. I like it but since I have my own center diamond I cant. (They wont sell a setting without a diamond), so therefore I having it custom made. Other thing is my gf''s finger is thin so I thought it might be too thick.

The side diamonds are held with 2 prongs on the outside and pressed against a groove on the main prongs. On the dscaasi ring the groove is actually located on the center bar.

Josh

jenna_g

Rough_Rock
My fiance picked out a solitaire almost identical to the one in this pic (which is from the website). The only difference is that mine is set lower. I wish I could get a decent picture of it on my hand... We need to upgrade our digital camera!

11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results