shape
carat
color
clarity

Prong set or “floating” eternity band - which is better overall?

AntiqueMovalGal

Shiny_Rock
Would love to tap into this group's expertise on this: what are the pros and cons of a "floating" eternity band vs. a prong set band? Will the floating band sparkle less because light can't enter from the sides? Will it be harder to clean?

For reference, I'm getting a custom made 4-stone half eternity band with .5 carat each diamonds.

I don't like how the prongs look so prominent in a design like this:
il_794xN.2489872450_p5y0.jpg

il_794xN.2537543857_baeq.jpg

But I'm worried about brilliance/cleaning with this design like this:
il_794xN.2477339665_gsdy.jpg

il_794xN.2593590026_4muv.jpg

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm considering a floating style bangle so really interested to hear the responses you get esp. around cleaning. I was wondering whether the floating setting was more or less secure than prongs.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a 7 stone that I guess is set how you describe "floating". The diamonds are old cuts so don't know how that might affect sparkle or brilliance if you are using MRBs but I don't think my ring is particularly hard to clean and the stones certainly don't look dull. Here's a photo that I had on my computer. I don't have one of the band by itself.

IMG_3185.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard the word "floating" in this respect. I think mostly we call that a single shared prong. For 1/2 carat stones (relatively large), I would do
4 prongs.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never heard the word "floating" in this respect. I think mostly we call that a single shared prong. For 1/2 carat stones (relatively large), I would do
4 prongs.

Good point, my stones are only about .17 each. I would agree you want more prongs for half carat stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results