shape
carat
color
clarity

prong help (sorry, long)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lily1

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''ve been lurking on the site for a while now and I finally have a question that can''t be answered through old posts, so I figured it was time to register! First, I want to thank you guys for all the help you unknowingly gave me during my diamond search.
Thanks to this forum, my boyfriend and I picked out a beautiful .82 cushion and had it set in a simple white gold solitaire setting. We are not "officially" engaged yet, but my boyfriend showed me the finished product because he wasn''t happy (and didn''t think I would be happy) with the prongs and wanted to know what I would want done about it. We asked the original jeweler (internet vendor) to do split-claw prongs and sent pictures of my dream Leon Mege prongs. But, I guess if you want Leon Mege you have to get the real thing, because, although the designer said he''d have no problem replicating the design, these prongs don''t even look close. Unfortunately, we are on a budget and LM was not an option, but we don''t want to settle for these prongs. I have pretty much given up on the split-claw thing (I followed Beau13''s saga and have vicariously learned my lesson), but what can be done to fix this? I don''t want to send it back to the original designer becuse (a) although he was nice and had a lot of beautiful examples of his work on his website, I feel like he didn''t listen to anything we said (maybe because it was an inexpensive setting, but even so if he didn''t feel like doing it right, I wish he would have just told us), and (b) I think it''s been to long for him to fix it free of charge and I don''t want to deal with the hassle of shipping/waiting/worrying when we can get it done for the same price locally.
We spoke with the service department at Jared''s (we aren''t native to the area and didn''t know where else to start) and an employee discussed the situation with one of the goldsmiths and told us that they could fill in the grooves on the head and file down the prongs so that they just look like regular single prongs and don''t take up so much space on the diamond for only $30. I wanted to get a second opinion, but we got mixed reviews on what could be done. In the end, we decided to go back to Jared''s because they made it seem like it would be a simple fix and were willing to do it while we waiting in the store. However, when my boyfriend went back to have it done, a different woman was working and after she went to speak with one of the goldsmiths (apparently a different one), she came back saying that what we wanted couldn''t be done. She said the best they could do was fill in the grooves and not shave the prongs down and that it would cost $70. The cost isn''t really the problem, although it is a concern, but I realize that $30 seems ridiculously inexpensive and $70 would be fine, I just wanted to show the disparity in the opinions from the same store.
Anyway, so since we can''t get a straight answer, nothing has been done yet. The most important thing to me is that the prongs be smaller, so I am mostly concerned with whether that is possible. We aren''t totally opposed to getting a new head, but I imagine this will be significantly more expensive and we''d rather spend as little as possible. However, I''m not going to sacrifice being completely satisfied with the ring in order to save $100-$200. I hope I don''t sound like a complete brat, I love and appreciate the ring so much and of course the most important thing is that my boyfriend and I are going to spend the rest of our lives together, but we''ve already put so much into the ring process, it seems silly to quit before I''m as happy with it as reasonably possible. So, I guess my question is (if you''ve made it all the way through this horribly long post!), what would all of you do about this? Is it even possible to shave down the prongs the way I want or would it be best to just get a new head? Thanks so much in advance for any help or advice!

ps. I''ve attached a picture (hopefully it worked), sorry if the quality isn''t very good--I''m not a very good diamond photgrapher and this was the best I could do!

mepost.JPG

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really think you need to send the ring back to the original vendor and make it extremely clear that you are unhappy with the prongs and that they need to fix them to your liking. Were you dealing with the owner or just a sales person? If it was just a sales person, I''d request the owner or another salesperson.

I would really not trust Jared with this one-there are just too many horror stories on PS about them mangling diamonds.

lily1

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. We were communicating directly with the owner at all times (through phone calls and e-mails), that''s why I feel uncomfortable about sending it back. When my boyfriend e-mailed him with pictures of split prongs and asked if he that was doable, he replied back with "that will be no problem and I think it will look great." But, the prongs are really nothing like the pictures we sent and it doesn''t seem like he even tried to replicate the pictures. From far away they don''t look bad, but close up they look like one prong that was "split" by mashing a tiny flat head screw driver into it and in the pictures the split prongs were clearly two separate prongs. It just bothered me that he seemed to blindly follow what his idea of split prong was rather than mine and it makes me wary about putting the ring in his hands again. Paying extra is worth avoiding the worry to me. Is that stupid?
And thanks for the tip about Jared''s! I know it''s not a place I''d want an e-ring bought from, but I wasn''t sure about their repair services.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Can you tell us exactly what you are unhappy with on your prongs? Because you wanted double claw and that''s what they look like. You''re describing what people have told you about fixing it but I dont see what you''re trying to fix since what you wanted seems like what you have. Are they too thick? Too thin? Too far apart? Too close together? What? That said, re-pronging a ring shouldn''t be brain surgery. I''ve had very fine rings re-pronged and you cannot tell at all. But I can promise you that you DO NOT want to have a place like Jared''s touch this! Do a search on them and I think there''s only one positive experience out of many. It seems from other people''s experiences here that when Jared''s screws up they get biligerent and don''t stand behind their work. I''d recommend a fine bench jeweler to get this right for you. Though I think your original jeweler should take another try at it for free. If you post where you live perhaps someone here can recommend a good jeweler nearby?

lily1

Rough_Rock
Hi, Surfgirl! The picture may be too small to really show what it looks like, but the thing I don''t like about the prongs is that they are not apart at all, it is really just one prong with an indention in the middle. I have seen split prongs like this, but that is not what I wanted and not what the pictures I sent the designer looked like. But, I would be fine with the indention thing if the prongs weren''t so thick. So my main concern is whether a jeweler could file or shave the prongs down.
I am definitely glad we dodged the Jared''s bullet! I will definitely find a local jeweler. We live in Jacksonville, FL and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for jewelers in the area if anyone knows of one!

I know I am being too picky and have considered just learning to love it. I already love the ring for what it stands for, but I would also like to love it for just being a ring, you know? Does this seem like a silly thing to get hung up on and when I actually get the ring on my finger I probably won''t care anymore?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think your are being too picky. Get the ring they way you want it, wish I could help you in FLA, hopefully someone who lives in Jacksonville will chime in.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Oh Lily...I can totally relate to your frustration. It's hard to tell from the pics , the prongs don't look too bulky, but I can tell you, I am totally NOT a fan of split prongs anymore, unless they are done by Leon! It seems jewelers say they "can" make the prongs look how we want, then it comes down to a matter of making them "safe" keeping the diamond more secure which is why they can't shave the prongs too thin. Looking back at the pics of my ring, I do love the way it looked the first time around, from the top view, but bulkier prongs after the resetting really made my ring look like a "freak show".lol Keep in mind that Leon Mege is an artist, his work is so different than that of most goldsmiths/manufacturers/benchmen. The majority would look at your ring and think it's just perfect the way the prongs are, but they aren't closely inspecting it like you are, and since we are spoiled by thousands of pics on Pricescope, of beautiful rings created by the "masters" in the industry, we start thinking that "our" rings will or could look as perfect as that. BUT....unless they are made by talents such as Leon Mege, they might not measure up to what you and I think is "perfect". The ring might be perfect to the benchman who created the ring, but again, he is NOT Leon Mege. He has not seen these works of art, the beautiful claw like prongs, and to him, the split prongs ARE done right! I hope that all makes sense?
I'm glad I decided to go with four regular prongs, the diamond shines more brilliantly, and the prongs don't get all the attention anymore! I think your diamond would look fabulous in four regular prongs, versus the double prongs, maybe due to the size as well. My diamond being 1.76, looked smaller, even when the double claws were at their thinnest. Looking at profile pics, all I seen were bulky gold prongs, not much diamond from the side. Now, the diamond is exposed more, and looks fabulous! I would ask the store to change the head completely, not try to correct the prongs as they are right now.

lily1

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Kaleigh! I hope someone in Jacksonville reads this and can help because I really don't know anything about any of the jewelers in the area.

Hi, Beau13! Your split prong dilemma was my motivation to tell the designer to make the prongs "as thin as safely possible" but had I known they were going to be as bulky as they are, I would have just gone with the regular four prong head. I too loved the look of your split prongs before, but I guess it is very difficult to craft them in a way that is both practical and delicate. And I think you are right about the four prongs making the diamond the star of the show. At this point, the prongs are the first thing my eye focuses on and that is what is bothering me. So, thanks for your input! I probably will end up just getting a new head, I just wanted to see everyone's opinions about whether that could be avoided.

P.S. I love your new band, it's so unique and looks perfect with your e-ring!
36.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I love my new band too, it actually looks alot different on my finger, than in the pics...the line, or ridge on the band doesn''t look as pronounced as it does in the pics. It just seems to fit so perfectly, and I think you should go with single prongs, and find a nice band to match, instead of prongs that are a bit different, try a band that is a bit more unique!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results