shape
carat
color
clarity

promissory ring question. what is the basic rule?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 12:08:41 PM
Author: AprilBaby
Is this the daughter with the credit card? Maybe he will promise to pay all her bills!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
i don''t think so
9.gif

mia1181

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 2:37:47 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
thanks MGR. i don''t know these kid stuff. no pics, but it looks like a combo of small pink stones and diamonds.
Idunno1.gif
Sounds cute.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 1:48:19 PM
Author: lyra
Tell her right hand only. That way if other better suitors see her, they won''t make assumptions about her being engaged.
31.gif
yup!! agree.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:10:46 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Promise rings were all the rage in the late 60''s early 70''s. I must have sold thousands of them. The diamonds were tiny little chips. They were meant to be worn on the engagement ring finger.

They died out quickly, sounds like they''re making a come back? I secretly thought of them as ''you''ll sleep with me now'' rings
11.gif

OMG PP, you crack me up, ha ha ha ha ha.

Back in my day, in the 60''s. We used to call them "going steady rings". Mine from my high school boyfriend was a turquoise stone ring.

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 2:22:54 PM
Author: mia1181
Um of course I was talking about other threads. I was talking about in general on PS people are not a fan of the promise ring. That''s all just an observation, while we were on the topic of promise rings and what finger to wear them.
Ahh, gotcha.

makes me wonder what my parents thought of mine.
28.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my friends has a promise ring. Her BF (now FI) gave it to her when she was in highschool (12 years ago), she''s always worn it on her ring finger. They had it redesigned when he proposed so now they are two separate rings that twist together, locking. Promise with Promise. I always thought that was very sweet. I don''t see anything wrong with Promise rings, and I think you can wear them as you like. PP''s comment doesn''t surprise me in the least though. I know a couple of people who have used engagement rings the same way.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:10:46 AM
Author: purrfectpear
Promise rings were all the rage in the late 60''s early 70''s. I must have sold thousands of them. The diamonds were tiny little chips. They were meant to be worn on the engagement ring finger.

They died out quickly, sounds like they''re making a come back? I secretly thought of them as ''you''ll sleep with me now'' rings
11.gif
That cracks me up.

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:30:31 AM
Author: somethingshiny
They are often given in high school, as in, ''we''re too young to be engaged, but I want to marry you''.

This is what promise rings mean over here too. While I love the notion of a promise ring, I think it''s only for young couples. A man 25 years and up might look a little foolish giving a girl a promise ring.

Congrats to your daughter!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I never got a promise ring... I was totally gypped out of a piece of jewelry!! I''m taking this thread right to my hubby. I want another sparkly!!
9.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I didn't get a promise ring, but I remember I got a promise necklace! He said it was the first of many diamonds to come.
30.gif
It's really cute and I think sweet. It's certainly better than nothing. For any couple of any age to say, "Here's a symbol of my heart and I hope this is forever" is incredibly refreshing in this day and age!

For the left hand e-ring finger, I would personally feel it's off limits because it's THAT finger. But there are 9 others!

Tuckins1, great point! Is it too late for me to get a promise ring? Because I'd love to get an OEC!
31.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 8:47:46 PM
Author: Bliss
I didn''t get a promise ring, but I remember I got a promise necklace! He said it was the first of many diamonds to come.
30.gif
It''s really cute and I think sweet. It''s certainly better than nothing. For any couple of any age to say, ''Here''s a symbol of my heart and I hope this is forever'' is incredibly refreshing in this day and age!

For the left hand e-ring finger, I would personally feel it''s off limits because it''s THAT finger. But there are 9 others!

Tuckins1, great point! Is it too late for me to get a promise ring? Because I''d love to get an OEC!
31.gif

Hey Bliss... Love the avatar!!
31.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 2:56:20 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/7/2009 1:48:19 PM
Author: lyra
Tell her right hand only. That way if other better suitors see her, they won''t make assumptions about her being engaged.
31.gif
yup!! agree.
Tritto! good idea
emwink.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 5:10:26 PM
Author: White Orchid

This is what promise rings mean over here too. While I love the notion of a promise ring, I think it''s only for young couples. A man 25 years and up might look a little foolish giving a girl a promise ring.

lol...agreed. my hubby was 21 and i was 24, no promise ring tho

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 8:47:46 PM
Author: Bliss
I didn''t get a promise ring, but I remember I got a promise necklace! He said it was the first of many diamonds to come.
30.gif
It''s really cute and I think sweet. It''s certainly better than nothing. For any couple of any age to say, ''Here''s a symbol of my heart and I hope this is forever'' is incredibly refreshing in this day and age!

For the left hand e-ring finger, I would personally feel it''s off limits because it''s THAT finger. But there are 9 others!

Tuckins1, great point! Is it too late for me to get a promise ring? Because I''d love to get an OEC!
31.gif
i love reading this thread and comments... i''m a bit jealous.. didn''t get any "promise" jewelry... on side note what is OEC? sorry off tangent

Beth

Shiny_Rock
Don''t worry DF. I think it just means she promises not to let any other boys steal her kisses.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 9:41:57 PM
Author: Beth
Don''t worry DF. I think it just means she promises not to let any other boys steal her kisses.
Beth...i''ll send you some Marlboro Lights.
9.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 5:10:26 PM
Author: White Orchid

Date: 3/7/2009 11:30:31 AM
Author: somethingshiny
They are often given in high school, as in, ''we''re too young to be engaged, but I want to marry you''.

Some of us are just naive and game to be foolish. I think I was 29 when I offered one to my wife. I wanted her to wear it on her right finger, so we were both clear.

Beth

Shiny_Rock
You always get me into trouble. I will if you will first.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Our "promise rings" were cheap matching jade rings we got at an art fair. We wore them on our right hands. Mine broke, but he still has his in his dresser drawer. I wanted to reserve the left ring finger for engagement and wedding rings.

I got engaged at 21 during college, and married at 22 with a 0.18 ct e-ring. It was enough for 25 years. There recently was a lady on PS who was showing off a 2 ct D VVS2 H&A promise ring. People kept mistaking it for an e-ring for some crazy reason. Any diamond ring, of any size above 5 points or so, showing up on the left ring finger of a young lady in love could well be mistaken for an e-ring. It''s up to your daughter how much of this she is willing to put up with.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
My promise ring from DH is a sapphire platinum band, and I wore it on my ring finger....

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I wore my promise ring on my left ring finger. It was a 2mm silver band that DH gave me as a complete surprise when I was 18 and about to leave Canada for Australia and wouldn't see him for another 6 months (we were in LDR for 3 years). The ring meant a lot to us and I didn't even consider another finger to wear it on than THE finger.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results