Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Projected diamond price increases for 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year everyone!!!! I''m in the market for my next upgrade, and I''m looking for a 2 carat ideal rb in the G/VS2-SI1 range. Is there a projected price hike this year. I keep hearing about a huge increase. I want to take the plunge before it actually takes place. Will it be a huge increase, say 5-12% within a short amount of time, or will it gradually increase over time? I want to get it sooner than later...but I''m also a cautious buyer, and not very impulsive. Any insights from diamond vendors (PS administrators) here?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 7:56:47 PM
Author:jaysonsmom
Happy New Year everyone!!!! I''m in the market for my next upgrade, and I''m looking for a 2 carat ideal rb in the G/VS2-SI1 range. Is there a projected price hike this year. I keep hearing about a huge increase. I want to take the plunge before it actually takes place. Will it be a huge increase, say 5-12% within a short amount of time, or will it gradually increase over time? I want to get it sooner than later...but I''m also a cautious buyer, and not very impulsive. Any insights from diamond vendors (PS administrators) here?
I''ve read before that they are sudden jumps... and that it is *sometime* in january.... and I''d bet that they''re holding on to all of the best stones until then... why not? right?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
idexonline.com and look at the diamond prices section http://idexonline.com/Drivers_Composition.asp?id=2

You will see the prices have trended down over the last 6 months after a year or 2 of steep price rises. Longer term they will probably continue to climb about 5-10% a year unless the US$ keeps loosing strength as it has been

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my gut is a 5% increase this year, although I have no idea when. Could be in spring, or could be in fall. Probably fall. It will come all at once though, and not gradually over a period of time. Debeers doesn't mess around, and everyone else tends to follow their lead pronto.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My feeling is:

Prices for high end, larger sizes will climb substantially (my wild guess would be a climb of double digit % for the whole year).
Some speciality items will go up in price way beyond the 12% some guess...
De Beers gave that hint last month...
An interesting ''idex article'' pointed out that a lot will depend on "Russian Diamonds" and their marketing ability while not depending on De Beers.
The Russians wont have a problem marketing high end diamonds, the problem i foresee is with the lower quality material...

In any case, my opinion that a two carat round of G- VS/SI quality will not be affected that much..., but you should take into consideration some sorth of price hike.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.