shape
carat
color
clarity

Projected diamond price increases for 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Happy New Year everyone!!!! I''m in the market for my next upgrade, and I''m looking for a 2 carat ideal rb in the G/VS2-SI1 range. Is there a projected price hike this year. I keep hearing about a huge increase. I want to take the plunge before it actually takes place. Will it be a huge increase, say 5-12% within a short amount of time, or will it gradually increase over time? I want to get it sooner than later...but I''m also a cautious buyer, and not very impulsive. Any insights from diamond vendors (PS administrators) here?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 7:56:47 PM
Author:jaysonsmom
Happy New Year everyone!!!! I''m in the market for my next upgrade, and I''m looking for a 2 carat ideal rb in the G/VS2-SI1 range. Is there a projected price hike this year. I keep hearing about a huge increase. I want to take the plunge before it actually takes place. Will it be a huge increase, say 5-12% within a short amount of time, or will it gradually increase over time? I want to get it sooner than later...but I''m also a cautious buyer, and not very impulsive. Any insights from diamond vendors (PS administrators) here?
I''ve read before that they are sudden jumps... and that it is *sometime* in january.... and I''d bet that they''re holding on to all of the best stones until then... why not? right?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
idexonline.com and look at the diamond prices section http://idexonline.com/Drivers_Composition.asp?id=2

You will see the prices have trended down over the last 6 months after a year or 2 of steep price rises. Longer term they will probably continue to climb about 5-10% a year unless the US$ keeps loosing strength as it has been

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, my gut is a 5% increase this year, although I have no idea when. Could be in spring, or could be in fall. Probably fall. It will come all at once though, and not gradually over a period of time. Debeers doesn't mess around, and everyone else tends to follow their lead pronto.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My feeling is:

Prices for high end, larger sizes will climb substantially (my wild guess would be a climb of double digit % for the whole year).
Some speciality items will go up in price way beyond the 12% some guess...
De Beers gave that hint last month...
An interesting ''idex article'' pointed out that a lot will depend on "Russian Diamonds" and their marketing ability while not depending on De Beers.
The Russians wont have a problem marketing high end diamonds, the problem i foresee is with the lower quality material...

In any case, my opinion that a two carat round of G- VS/SI quality will not be affected that much..., but you should take into consideration some sorth of price hike.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results