shape
carat
color
clarity

Project Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Hi
I am into this pop the question now, so I did my research, I got 25 days to do this. I like this forum and knowledgable I have found here. I would prefer to have ideal cut Princess cut 1.4-1.7 ct diamond which would reflect more light with eyes, color and clarity is not a big deal.
I tried to look into pricescope search and stuff, but its very difficult to find the ideal cut diamond.
Any tips/suggestions on approach?
lickout.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
Hi flyguy.

What do you mean by "ideal cut"? When it comes to princesses the ide-al-i-ty is in the eye of the beholder.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
www.superbcert.com and www.goodoldgold.com give you information to judge a princess cut's "sparkly" factor. Here are some examples:

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=365&Product_Subcategory_ID=6&Product_Category_ID=4&Product_Group_ID=1

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_55ct_e_si11.htm

More ideas:
http://www.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=1210731&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=

Here's a brand called "brilliant fire princess":
http://www.diamondbrokersoffl.com/bfireprincess.htm

Here's a chart to determine cut in a princess:
http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt4.htm

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Here are some more, just for fun:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/princess_1_65ct_h_vs1.htm

http://www.superbcert.com/products/index.cfm?Product_ID=239&Product_Subcategory_ID=6&Product_Category_ID=4&Product_Group_ID=1

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Hi phoenixgirl,
thanks for these cool links, I am especially impressed by superbcert links, except that some of these diamonds are color J, not sure if I want to go that down, I would be ok until "G" I think to avoid any yellowish shade. Are you gemologist or work in these business, just curious.

amatuer, what I meant by ideal cut is that I would like very well cut stone which is really good in fire and brilliance so out of 4CS, I prefer Cut as my choice while selecting the stone. Size is nextone and then color and clarity.

1.gif

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Ok so now I have taken a look at some diamonds, my question is on Princess cut, you see a Octagonal shape from teh top view. Does it matter or make a grading level using -
1. How is the shape of octagon, symmetrical or distorted
2. location of octagon on diamond like centered or sideway

any one notices this?
Thx

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I *think* I know what you're talking about. It's really a visual effect, but it should be centered, and the symmetry should be even. However, a photograph can distort a stone that looks perfect in real life. I noticed that Good Old Gold's B&W photos sometimes make stones look a bit weird, but I wouldn't be concerned if the specs say otherwise.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
I presume the octagon to which you refer is the flat spot on top, or the "table". If you catch the light just right (looking at sort of a sideways angle)it will really stand out. This is because all the light is reflecting off the table like a mirror rather than penetrating into the stone. The more out of square the stone is the more the octagonal shape gets warped. To my eye, the non-symmetrical-ness seen looking straight down on the table is more a result of the tricks the innards of the stone play on my eyes rather than actual off-cutting.

Maybe barry or one of the other pros will comment on the importance of the perfect octagon in the table.

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Now I seem to be close to finalyze on my stone by applying all this great knowledge on this forum, so I am looking for a setting kinda like tiffany/solitaire which can show most part of my princess stone,
Any ideas/suggestions?
Also is it good to have the stone shipped and appriased first and then shipped it back to get the setting fixed or the diamond can be appraised even with the setting.

Thx

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
You can get the vendor of the diamond to have it sent to an independent appraiser who will appraise the stone and verify everything is in order. If it appraises out, the appraiser can arrange to have it set for you and ship it back to you. I believe Richard Sherwood offers this kind of service and could give you more info. David Atlas probably can help too. Whiteflash, Superbcert and the others generally have these networks already set up for you to use.

Can any of you guys provide some more info for flyguy.

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Friends,
How about this Princess cut,
Carat weight: 1.3
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth %: 68.2%
Table %: 70%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Very good
Girdle: Slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.23x5.98x4.08 mm
Crown height: 10.3%
I am just not sure about color I, whether it will show any color.

Thx
tongue.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hey Fly Guy~

Due to the way they are cut, square cuts (ie princess, radiant, and emerald cuts) tend to hold more body color than the same color rated round brilliant. There are also variations within the same color rating. Color is checked against master diamonds and by colorimeter. While the master diamond check is visual and subjective, the colorimeter grade is set by an arbitrary cutoff point. If it's a high I, it might appear only slightly different than an H. In that case, you get a better deal by paying for I while getting the "appearance" of an H color diamond. If it's a low I, it will look closer to J. You might want to check with the vendor to see if they know where in the I color range this diamond falls.

I just previewed a J color round brilliant and was quite surprised at how white and sparkly it was. If your diamond is well cut (I am not up on princess cuts so not sure about your specs), you probably won't notice any color in the diamond, face up, or mounted. It's when the diamond catches light at certain angles from the sides that the yellowish hues are noted much like bursts of sunshine or a glow.
1.gif

flyguy

Rough_Rock
well that stone is gone so I am searchinbg for more

Thx
lickout.gif

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Also if anyone can find similar stone, I would really appreciate it.
1.gif
Its so difficult to find with so many vednors but so less diamonds with ideal cut range.

jake88

Rough_Rock
I've always thought that the table % should be smaller than the depth % in order to get good "fire"...am I wrong?

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Also found one more stone,
1.31,I,SI1,$5803,Table/Depth:70/68.2, Crown%=10.3,Pavalion%=52.3, Girdle=3.3%, culet 1.2%
Anyone can tell me if this is ideal cut diamond and if price is ok.
eek.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Impossible to tell for sure. I've had diamonds where the numbers appeared to be good and the stone a dud. You may want to see this link to help familiarize you with the process of picking out the better stones.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ideal-princess-proportions.5808/ and here ... https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ideal-princess-cut.2518/

Hope that helps.

Rhino

barry

Shiny_Rock
I-J color well-cut princess are similar to ideal-cut
rounds in that they face up white.
They are suitable for setting into
either platinum or white-gold.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

flyguy

Rough_Rock
Very interesting Rhino, Ok I have asked for Sarin,Bscope and Imagescope report lets see.
So Barry I shouldn't be worred about color then
Thanks for your input

flyguy

Rough_Rock
I found a similar princess one,
I,VS1,Depth 65.8%,Table 71%,Crown 8.7%, pavallion 53.9 Girdle 1.3% and the price is similar.
How does this spec sound than the one above? The previous stone has significantly bigger girdle of 3.3%.
Is this ideal cut and fairly priced.
I asked the venor, they can not provide BScope, Would sarin enough to make sure the diamond is ideal cut?
If I have to pick out of these two, which one sounds better. From Rhino's link above, it looks like just numbers may not be enough for judging princess cut.

Also I have one more question for experts here,
Some princess cuts are same in carat weight but have different specs like 5.82x5.86x4.20 and 6.27x6.03x3.98, In that case, which one would look bigger and is right pick? Looks like there is significant price different between the two even though all other parameters are same.
Thx

lickout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results