shape
carat
color
clarity

Professionals advice needed...which C to compromise on?

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I am surprised you chose a cushion if size is what you are looking for. Most Cushions are cut deeper than round diamonds, so the same carat weight cushion will oftentimes look smaller than the round diamond. I love cushions, so not trying to dissuade you, just want to make sure "the biggest diamond possible" is specifically for a cushion. The last 1.7 carat you posted has close to the same face up size of a 1.2 carat round.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You made.perfect sense. I have a busy day but will comment in the evening when I get a chance. What is your timeline for this? If we find you a stone you love cn you move on it? Or do you need time?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that cushions aren't that spready. Better than princesses and asschers, but still not as good as ovals or rounds.

Still and all. Here's what I've got you wanting:

Total Budget: 18k. You want a Steven halo setting so, we need 4.5 set aside for that. 13.5 k left for the stone.

Color: H or better.
Clarity: eyeclean
Shape: square with rounded corners (true cushion, not hearts and arrows square)
Facet pattern: Modern 4 or six main.
Light return: as optimal as possible. Confirmed with ASET.
Budget: 13.5k.
Size: as large as possible within parameters above.

TIMELINE: UKNOWN.

Okay.

We can work with that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
JA isn't allowing ASET images right now. They will start taking on them again on the first of the year.

So I am going only with stones with posted ASETs or from vendors that will provide ASETs for you now. COMPARE MEASUREMENTS OF STONES not weight. Ignore vendor grades. They are meaningless. Focus on ASET and images and measurements.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-68-Carat-F-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-D6ZMGD Really nice stone. May be a little rectangular for you. But honestly set N/S in a halo, that's going to be very flattering on the hand.

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-1-57-Carat-E-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-7EYDZ3 This one has nice spread (same spread as the stone above, really. Side by side they'd look the same size). Really lovely stone.

I like this one, and it is BIG: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-7832271-2.02-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-VS2-clarity.aspx Personally, I'd put it on hold. The spread is 8x7! And again, that slight rectangular shape, in a halo is going to be REALLY flattering on the hand.

Now, I want you to pay attention to this one. It's the same WEIGHT as the one above, 2 carats. It is the perfect square cushion shape you wanted. And it has a good ASET. But... look at the spread!!! http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6614150-2.01-carat-Cushion-diamond-H-color-VS1-clarity.aspx It's MUCH smaller than the last one! See that!

spon88

Rough_Rock
Don't forget your import tax and duty. 22% to the UK I believe. There is a calculator on the Whiteflash site which helped me. It knocks a hole in the budget unfortunately; I paid around £2.5k gbp on a budget of around $17k US so you need to factor it all in. It's not easy to go over to collect and evade charges - I checked :)

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Go oval you can get a ginormous oval on JA for your budget

moncherie477

Rough_Rock
Gypsy - timeline - not until after the new year as looking to go over in Soring to get it set at the same time.

However, that third stone with 8x7 thread is beautiful. I prefer the shape of the 4th 2 carat however I agree with you that the very slight rectangle shape will be very flattering.

Thank you!!!! If I can't move on these now and do need to wait until the spring I would really appreciate your help. Also, do B2C ship to me and I send back if I'm not happy or can they send it on to SK for the halo setting?

Spon88 - thanks for the advice. I will definitely be going to collect - my SO is a pilot and I can get there for a very minimal amount :dance:

Gypsy - I have never tried on cushion or round. I've only ever seen on other people and the cushion is the one I've always loved. Would you suggest popping in somewhere and trying on before settling my thoughts on a cushion?

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. Tiffany. Try the Novo.and other shapes. Harry Winston too. Try the cushion halo.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think B2C can do both.

Do some sleuthing till spring. Try on lots of rings. When you are ready we can help you find your dream ring.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cushions cost less.than rounds per.carat, so it does.even out some. FYI.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results