shape
carat
color
clarity

Process for buying a stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PoopEater

Rough_Rock
I am a bit confused on what I should do to get the entire e-ring finished. I am going to buy a stone on the internet, and I have read that many people recommend shipping it to an appraiser to make sure it is good. Would I then need to have the diamond re-appraised when it is set, for insurance purposes?

Should the flow be:

purchase diamond -> appraise -> set -> appraise

or something different? Please help!!!
sick.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We often appraise the separate components and create a final document. Sometimes we do the setting, sometimes not. Many times we see the finished ring, but not every time. A lot depends on who is doing the work for you and whterh you trust them to be honest...Most are very honest, but a few stinkers make everyone fearful.

It is always more accurate to appraise and unset diamond, but the vast majority of diamond appraisals are done on mounted diamonds. We verify the report with the stone and proceed with the assumption that we are able to identify the stone. I'd say this is reasonably safe for us to think we can do. Some appraisers might have a problem with being sure. It is based on experience, not guesswork.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We purchased our loose stone, had it appraised to be sure that it was worth what we paid, and that it was the correct stone, etc..and we are now having it set into the ring at our jeweler. When it's finished, we'll take it back to the appraiser for the final appraisal.

When we took her the loose stone we told her that we wanted a 2 piece appraisal, loose and then set. So when she did the first appraisal, she didn't give us anything official, rather just a printout of her findings for our own purposes. When we take her the final piece, she'll give us the official paperwork and all the supporting documentation/photos etc. This was all done for one price. I think we paid $250-300.

JayTee

Rough_Rock
I went through the same process that Mara did. The appraiser I worked with explained that they could do an "internet appraisal" -- that is, verify that the stone is what was advertised and agreed upon, matching the cert, etc.

After I had the stone set (and the proposal done), my fiancee and I returned to the appraiser, where we had the full appraisal performed for insurance purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results