shape
carat
color
clarity

PROBLEMS WITH SIZING....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
Can anyone tell me if they''ve experienced this...

I guess this question is primarily for those who saw their e-ring before they were proposed to

When you went to see your e-ring after your jeweler said it was complete, the size seemed to fit perfectly. However, when you tried it on again after finally sitting down to look at it without all the excitement of seeing the final product for the first time, the ring seemed to fit lose. Do fingers tend to swell & shrink constantly making your ring feel differently from time to time?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. Unfortunately your fingers can swell and shrink depending on the day, or even the time of day. If it's really hot out or "that time of the month," or it's early morning/ late at night, your fingers are going to swell. But if it's cold out, they will be smaller than normal. The best way (I've heard) to get the ring size for your ring is to go about mid-day, when it's not sweltering outside, so that you can get the "normal" size of your finger. But your finger size is going to change over the course of the day, so you might want to get something that fits a little loosely to make up for the fact that your fingers will inevitably swell on several occasions.

*M*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
mspicky, everyone''s finger size changes slightly all the time. my shrink when it''s cold or I''m in air condition but swell a little bit when I''m outside in the summer. So at times your ring will feel loose and at times it might feel a little tight, it just shouldn''t be so tight it cuts off your circulation or so loose that it can fall off.

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies...the truth is that I feel as though my ring feels a bit more lose than normal than when I tried it at the store. I''m paranoid thinking that maybe my ring was switched...does this sound crazy? What''s the likelihood. I keep looking at the ring and it looks to be the same...but I wonder why it feels so lose when I tried it on during the winter not too long after walking about a block in the cold. I''m so confused...help!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I really don''t think your ring was switched. Especially if it looks the same. Your fingers were probably just swollen that day, that''s all.

*M*

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t think you have anything to worry about. i highly doubt your ring was switched, you just need to find the most comfortable size and try to relax and enjoy your ring
1.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
mmmm....I have this problem too.

I think when I tried my size at a store, I was probably pretty swollen that day.
My ring actually is a little loose most of the time.

I''m just worried that it might fall off since my ring finger doesn''t have a big knuckle to secure the ring like my middle finger.

Any idea that I can ensure that my ring stays on my finger?
Thanks
1.gif

ana_texasgirl

Rough_Rock
I had a similar problem, when I got sized they said I was a 4. But when I got my e-ring it spun around my finger and felt a bit loose. I did a lot or research and the best thing for me was to get two small balls welded inside the shank of the ring, opposite side from the stone. I had it done at Baily, Banks, & Biddle, for about $100 (the had to use plat. since that is what my ring is), it took about 3-4 days and I LOVE the results, the ring still goes on very easily but feel more secure and doesn''t spin, it still has a little room for swelling and pregancy fingers...also you can''t even see the two small pumps since they are inside the ring, and I can''t feel them AT ALL.

anyway, i would talk to a reputable jeweler and see if they can do it.

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
doobao:

I actually have one of these on an armani ring that I loved but unfortunately they didn't have my size in the store...

I took my ring to a local Jewelry store and they put one of those on...since my ring is titanium the guard is made out of a similar material. I didn't know that they also have them in gold. Anyways...it works really well. It brought my size down by about 1-1.5 sizes consdering it was huge before that. It feels secure & very comfortable. The only thing is that since it's put on there by pressure it tends to scratch or leave a mark on the band of the ring...I don't know how different or similar the gold material would work but I guess it would serve the same purpose in terms of size. Not sure about the marks it would leave...

But If you don't mind the marks, if any, since it's at the bottom & almost invisibe to others...it's a great way to go!

Definitely a lot more affordable than resizing...LOL!

Sorry about the long answer!

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
at least the ring is a bit loose, rather than tight! as it has been said, there are easy fixes for loose rings, but tight rings... thats a bigger problem.

on another note, if the store were crazy enough to switch out a ring, im sure they would at least switch it out with one of the same size. not imply that they did this at ALL. im just saying...

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 2:58:31 PM
Author: doobao
Has anyone tried this? The ring guard - http://viewithere.com/ring_guard/ringguard.html

Thanks in advance.
This type of ring guard will scratch the ring. It''s really not a good idea. Better to have the ring resized or use sizing balls or a horseshoe sizer. I''m trying to decide what option is best for me. My fingers shrink very quickly when my hands get cold, which is very often. I work in an air-conditioned office and my hands are almost always cold. When my hands are "normal," my rings feel comfortable--not at all tight. I''m not sure what to do. Much of the time the rings are spinning and sliding on my finger
38.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I used the sizing beads first but didn''t like them. Now I have a horsehoe sizer, which works great for me.

jjjjjjee.jpg

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
I have had a similar problem and I was just about to start a post about it when I saw this... I tried on the ring I am going to hopefully get by the same designer, same style, etc. in a size 5 with a 3 carat center (I wish) and it fit well but it was a STRUGGLE to get it on and off. The people at the store kept saying, "a ring like that" you want to be very hard to get off. However, I just don''t want it to be stuck on, especially since I am in med. school and as a future doctor it is going to have to go on and off... I guess I should also mention that my knuckes are the limiting factor since they are noticeably bigger than my finger where the ring sits. My FF and I are considering ordering in a 5 1/4 just to be safe since with the actual ring sizer a 5 is too small and a 5 1/2 is too big. The jeweler also mentioned a "butterfly" that fits inside the ring to size it for people with the same big knuckle situation...

Any others with the same problem or suggestions???

Thanks.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 7:50:59 AM
Author: ringplease
I have had a similar problem and I was just about to start a post about it when I saw this... I tried on the ring I am going to hopefully get by the same designer, same style, etc. in a size 5 with a 3 carat center (I wish) and it fit well but it was a STRUGGLE to get it on and off. The people at the store kept saying, ''a ring like that'' you want to be very hard to get off. However, I just don''t want it to be stuck on, especially since I am in med. school and as a future doctor it is going to have to go on and off... I guess I should also mention that my knuckes are the limiting factor since they are noticeably bigger than my finger where the ring sits. My FF and I are considering ordering in a 5 1/4 just to be safe since with the actual ring sizer a 5 is too small and a 5 1/2 is too big. The jeweler also mentioned a ''butterfly'' that fits inside the ring to size it for people with the same big knuckle situation...

Thanks.
Same exact knuckle problems as you. See above.

I found that when my ring was too tight (first it was too tight, then too loose after resizing) my knuckle actually got larger and swollen from prying the ring off of my finger, thus making my problem even worse. Also as we age, our knuckles will only get bigger, not smaller. I recommend getting the ring a little looser rather than too tight. Is the ring a style that can easily be resized? Mine is not so I choose to go bigger in size and get the horseshoe. The big knuckles I have, relative to my fingers and the fact that my ring is top heavy were also causing my ring to spin, which drove me nuts. The horseshoe helps greatly in that.

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 6:57:26 AM
Author: jazmine
I used the sizing beads first but didn''t like them. Now I have a horsehoe sizer, which works great for me.
Jazmine-

If you don''t mind me asking, was the horseshoe sizer similar in price to sizing beads? Or are they a lot more expensive? I''m just trying to weigh my options... Thanks!

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 5:01:59 PM
Author: MsPicky
doobao:

I actually have one of these on an armani ring that I loved but unfortunately they didn''t have my size in the store...

I took my ring to a local Jewelry store and they put one of those on...since my ring is titanium the guard is made out of a similar material. I didn''t know that they also have them in gold. Anyways...it works really well. It brought my size down by about 1-1.5 sizes consdering it was huge before that. It feels secure & very comfortable. The only thing is that since it''s put on there by pressure it tends to scratch or leave a mark on the band of the ring...I don''t know how different or similar the gold material would work but I guess it would serve the same purpose in terms of size. Not sure about the marks it would leave...

But If you don''t mind the marks, if any, since it''s at the bottom & almost invisibe to others...it''s a great way to go!

Definitely a lot more affordable than resizing...LOL!

Sorry about the long answer!

MsPicky,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the only issue would be how serious the scratches the ring guard would create.....
I bought the ring guard and thinking of giving it a try...(since it''s only $6 w/ shipping)
So we''ll see!
20.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 12:30:08 AM
Author: risingsun

Date: 3/27/2007 2:58:31 PM
Author: doobao
Has anyone tried this? The ring guard - http://viewithere.com/ring_guard/ringguard.html

Thanks in advance.
This type of ring guard will scratch the ring. It''s really not a good idea. Better to have the ring resized or use sizing balls or a horseshoe sizer. I''m trying to decide what option is best for me. My fingers shrink very quickly when my hands get cold, which is very often. I work in an air-conditioned office and my hands are almost always cold. When my hands are ''normal,'' my rings feel comfortable--not at all tight. I''m not sure what to do. Much of the time the rings are spinning and sliding on my finger
38.gif

risingsun,

Really not a good idea? Aw o~

My fingers shrink very quickly as well. I''ll probably give ring guard a try (since I''ve already purchased it)...& seek for other alternatives if it sratches the ring too bad.

Thanks for the advise
1.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 6:57:26 AM
Jazmine,

Wow, so this is what a horseshone sizer looks like. (Btw, your ring is stunning!!!!!
18.gif
)

Do you have to send the ring in or be there in person for a jeweler to put such sizer for you?
It''s just that...I just received my ring and would have a hard time parting with it.....
2.gif
LOL

Thanks for the owesome advise~

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2007 8:01:14 AM

Date: 3/28/2007 7:50:59 AM
Author: ringplease
I have had a similar problem and I was just about to start a post about it when I saw this... I tried on the ring I am going to hopefully get by the same designer, same style, etc. in a size 5 with a 3 carat center (I wish) and it fit well but it was a STRUGGLE to get it on and off. The people at the store kept saying, ''a ring like that'' you want to be very hard to get off. However, I just don''t want it to be stuck on, especially since I am in med. school and as a future doctor it is going to have to go on and off... I guess I should also mention that my knuckes are the limiting factor since they are noticeably bigger than my finger where the ring sits. My FF and I are considering ordering in a 5 1/4 just to be safe since with the actual ring sizer a 5 is too small and a 5 1/2 is too big. The jeweler also mentioned a ''butterfly'' that fits inside the ring to size it for people with the same big knuckle situation...

Thanks.
Same exact knuckle problems as you. See above.

I found that when my ring was too tight (first it was too tight, then too loose after resizing) my knuckle actually got larger and swollen from prying the ring off of my finger, thus making my problem even worse. Also as we age, our knuckles will only get bigger, not smaller. I recommend getting the ring a little looser rather than too tight. Is the ring a style that can easily be resized? Mine is not so I choose to go bigger in size and get the horseshoe. The big knuckles I have, relative to my fingers and the fact that my ring is top heavy were also causing my ring to spin, which drove me nuts. The horseshoe helps greatly in that.
Thanks for the info. I think you are right... better to go bigger and have a little extra room for later if necessary. The ring is the one on the center of the site at www.jackkelege.com It has diamonds about 1/2 way on the band and engraving in the rest. It might be tough to size it up later so I think I will just suggest the 5 1/4 to be safe.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, don''t forget that differnt band thickness can affect how it fits your finger. I have a silver ring from T&CO that''s 3.5-4mm and at size 6.5 it fits comfortably but in smaller width bands like the ering I want I need a 5.75 or 6. My hands are usually cold so I go with smaller rings (the T&CO was a gift). I pay for that choice though because when my hands swell from heat, bloating, etc, I feel like my fingers look like sausages
7.gif
So gross.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I got my ring from WF so I sent it out for the horseshoe sizer. The price for it and for the beads was similar, maybe about $100 or so.

Ringplease, no I would not want to be sizing that ring. With the engraving, it may not even be possible. I would err on the side of too big than too small. Things can be done to make a roomy ring fit. Once it is too small you may be out of luck.

Depending on where you live your fingers may be on the smaller side now, due to the colder weather. In the summer, my ring size is quite a bit bigger, even here in FL. You can always use some of those $2 ring snugglies from Walmart to get you through a few months and see how your finger size changes.

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
For anyone who has the gold balls welted on the inside of their ring:

Could you post pictures, I would love to see what it looks like...Thanks!

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
I JUST WANTED TO ADD THE THE INFORMATION THAT HAS BEEN POSTED ON THIS FORUM HAS BEEN VERY HELPFUL! I DIDN''T KNOW THAT THEY WERE SO MANY SOLUTIONS OUT THERE...LOL!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS RESPONDED!!!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Here are the shank pads, which are a little flatter and more comfortable than the balls. Otherwise, they would look the same but be small balls instead of the pads.

shanc.jpg

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
jazmine: Thanks for the pictures!

MsPicky

Rough_Rock
update on my ring: I had it appraised today and actually found out that the place I purchased it from actually made it a size 5 1/2 insteadof 5 1/4...does this happen because the 5 1/4 is hard to make since there is not precise size for that? I''m still worrying...was my ring switched...did the make the wrong size from the beginning...I don''t know what''s going on? I''m sort of mad that they made it bigger because now I have to find a solution to that problem.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
5 1/2 and 5 1/4 don''t have a HUGE amount of difference, and if it were me I wouldn''t worry about it, unless it REALLY bothers you. Just wait until you have a day when it''s really hot out and your fingers are swelling and you might be happy it''s a 1/4 bigger. They might have simply made a mistake, but all jewelers I know are easily able to make rings in quarter sizes. The ring I''m having made, for instance, was originally going to be 4 1/8, and now it''s going to be 4 1/4 tight, so in between the two sizes. Jewelers should be able to size a ring pretty much however you want it because it''s just a matter of taking away the right amount of metal. How does the ring feel on you being a quarter size bigger? Is it really bothering you? I am getting mine made larger on purpose due to my fingers swelling, and the fact that later on in life, I might need a larger size and mine is hard to resize. If it bothers you too much though, just go in and tell them that you want them to make it smaller.

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results