shape
carat
color
clarity

Problem with platinum head on 18k setting

kheerema

Rough_Rock
Hello all, first post here so cut me some slack :wink2: Here's my story:

I purchased an engagement ring for my fiancee (now wife) and we're having some issues with it.
18k band with small diamonds (total .64ct) pave set on top half of the ring
1.7 princess cut F clarity VS1 center stone set with 4 prong platinum head

I already had the center stone when my wife picked out this ring. The jeweler recommended using a platinum head to better secure the center stone (so I agreed). The jeweler had to send the ring out to an "out of house" jeweler to have the existing 18k head swapped to platinum and the stone set. We reluctantly agreed.

We got the ring back before the wedding and it looked lovely, very brilliant and beautiful. Unfortunately after the honeymoon (she swam in the ocean with it :(( ) it looked dirty and we noted a slight yellowish color/tint to the stone. I chalked it up to being dirty. We had it ultrasonic cleaned at the jeweler but we swear we still see some yellow color in the stone that was not there before.

We took it back and they agreed that there might be something up with it and they may have to send it back to the out of house jeweler.

I know little about technicalities of jewelery. I am wondering if something with the soldering/welding the new head on is reflecting some color through the stone (the stone is set flush in the "V" shaped head).

What do I need to ask about the work that was done so I ensure this is taken care of properly and the work that was done was done 100% properly? It wasn't cheap!! :roll: Any advice is much appreciated!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the 18k gold white gold or yellow gold? Really cant think of a good reason that an "F" stone might have a tint in a plat head.
Who is the stone graded by?

kheerema

Rough_Rock
The gold is 18k white gold. The diamond is a documented GIA rated diamond. Its definitely not the stone as there was some kind of a change from when we first had the ring made and now!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
White gold is not really white until it's dipped in rhodium. It's possible the diamond is picking up a reflection from an area of the white gold that was incompletely dipped, or which reacted with the ocean water. It's really not a good idea to wear fine jewelry in the ocean!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I don't think salt water can destroy a platinum or white gold ring. Are you sure the diamond was not swap when you send it to mount? I hope not but who knows?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results