shape
carat
color
clarity

Problem With Diamond Hoop Earrings

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew, .27 (or so) each is really large for hoops!!! I honestly and truly think 15-10 pointers is a lovely size for hoops, but I am certain they were gorgeous!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1373402761|3479844 said:
Whew, .27 (or so) each is really large for hoops!!! I honestly and truly think 15-10 pointers is a lovely size for hoops, but I am certain they were gorgeous!

The funny thing was, they weren't big! They really weren't! They were just the first pair where I could see definition between the stones, the first pair that didn't look like pavé to me. And, as I have said, I wasn't looking for earrings. My best friend (who has money, unlike me) was trying on earrings!

AGBF
:saint:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did see some large hoops in Vegas in the Chopard store. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I don't think the tag goes to these earrings,though, because it says $198,000..haha! :lol: But maybe it was correct..they were lined with diamonds on the inside and if the stones were a half carat each and D VS, it is possible.

2013-06-01_chopard_earrings_sml.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1373404386|3479858 said:
I did see some large hoops in Vegas in the Chopard store. Gorgeous, gorgeous! I don't think the tag goes to these earrings,though, because it says $198,000..haha! :lol: But maybe it was correct..they were lined with diamonds on the inside and if the stones were a half carat each and D VS, it is possible.

How come you didn't ask? :saint:

Deb
:wavey:

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1373403832|3479853 said:
diamondseeker2006|1373402761|3479844 said:

The funny thing was, they weren't big! They really weren't! They were just the first pair where I could see definition between the stones, the first pair that didn't look like pavé to me. And, as I have said, I wasn't looking for earrings. My best friend (who has money, unlike me) was trying on earrings!

AGBF

Aaaaaaa, I wish I could SEE them on your ears !!!
Do you think you will be going back to try them on again ?
I too enjoy the idea that one can see the appearance of individual stones,
not just a large blingtastic blur........(although now that I think of it.... :sun: )

If it were me, my biggest concern would be the weight issue, since my earlobes are small and thin.
As long as the earrings are light enough,
THEN the size of the individual stones desired/workable is more a function of
the persons height and build, length of hair, shape of face,
personal style, and so so so many things !
I love the certain cachet that a few pieces of killer jewelry lend to a relatively plain sweater and casual slacks (*or jeans and nice T).

I can just see that fairy circle now, a perfect circlet of icy white stones around your ears..... :love:
That's MY style, is it yours?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am outside, bright sun, can hardly see my screen so I only surmise this post will be rife with typo's. Or I'll lose it like the last time.... :???:

Funny, I never wore my large diamond studs either. Not b/c they weren't beautiful, I just found I prefer flower cluster type earrings, gold hoops or dangles. Had I gotten a clue, I could have bought colored stone drops or jackets and they would have been more serviceable. Hindsight and all that..... Of course on my FINGER larger stones are da bomb. But we are talking about earrings...

I have small lobes and with the larger diamond ctw and metal to connect them, would be concerned about the weight of the earrings. Although I am enamoured with the Cartier Trinity hoops and the multi-row styles from HW and VCA often seen on Estate websites (Betteridge included) once the earrings approach the 12-15 gms (each), well that is too weighty for me. They seem comfortable at the outset, but after an hour.....

Memoire has lovely simple hoop styles--shared prong and all you see is diamond. I wonder if anyone here on PS has these hoop earrings; I know there are a few eternity rings....

Deb I like the huggie style you posted but the cost of those branded earrings were :loopy: high! I have some smaller ctw (10 x 10 points, or 1.01 ctw from Wink) huggies and that is probably as large as I would go. (I don't know the precise diameter but they are probably less than the size of a dime.

But these are my preferences only. I love the earrings DBL made for my sister. Very elegant.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1373505903|3480733 said:
Here is a thread to my huggies--which are smaller (by appearance) than the ones you posted...and are not the "inside out" style either.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/petite-and-oh-so-sweet-my-new.70059/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/petite-and-oh-so-sweet-my-new.70059/[/URL]

They're beautiful, Sharon. They look a lot bigger than I think they are. If my arithmetic is correct the stones are 10-pointers. They look like 20-pointers to me. On the other hand, you have very delicate ears. The huggies look perfect on you!

Deb

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1373510990|3480791 said:
Here is some ear candy: hoops and huggies by traditional and other definition

http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/earrings/hoop-earrings/large-diamond-hoop-earrings/id-j_110853/

Sharon-

The link above led to this photo. These are to die for!!! These were at a jeweler's. 4.73 carats. What is 1st dibs?

Deb
:read:

Deb:

Oh, these would be awesome IRL!

First Dibs is a site that showcases all types of high end items for sale: art, jewellery, furniture, clothing...etc. Many sellers who have an ebay presence also show their items here (e.g. Oakgem, Betteridge). It is like a big high end online mall: no auctions, just showing what is for sale. I suspect it is convenient for vendors who do not have websites but want to sell their items held in B & M locations and add another layer of marketing to those who do.

You must visit it--except it will captivate you completely, and you may never get your life back! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1373510168|3480779 said:
Here is a thread to my huggies--which are smaller (by appearance) than the ones you posted...and are not the "inside out" style either.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/petite-and-oh-so-sweet-my-new.70059/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/petite-and-oh-so-sweet-my-new.70059/[/URL]

They're beautiful, Sharon. They look a lot bigger than I think they are. If my arithmetic is correct the stones are 10-pointers. They look like 20-pointers to me. On the other hand, you have very delicate ears. The huggies look perfect on you!

Deb

Yes, your math is correct! I will concur that the stone, even at the small ctw, so look impressive. You can see the "stones" and of course their sparkle is excellent. I've kept these diamond earrings (and only have my Kwait starburst diamonds earrings left) because they are serviceable--I put my pearl and emerald drops on them...or wear them alone. With larger hoops, I could not do that.

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really, really need help.

First, how many diamonds and of what size are in each of these earrings? I posted the photo above, but it is too late and I can't count and I can't figure it out. I also can't figure anything else out. I heard from Whiteflash this morning and I am very, very excited at the all the possibilities I now seem to have, but I am completely lost. I can't think. I can't figure anything out. I can't decide. I don't have any earrings at which to look (although Whiteflash offered to send me some and I was supposed to go to Betteridge with my best friend so that she could buy earrings).

The good news is that today I finally decided to pick up a check from my local jeweler for a diamond I had consigned and sold months ago so that now I can afford to buy a pair of earrings. (I had planned to use this money towards a 3-carat solitaire, but that isn't happening. Only one item out of all my jewelry sold!)

Here are my options:

1) Take the 2.00 ctw shared prong diamond hoop earrings in white gold that Whiteflash makes. These are the same earrings that diamondseeker has, only when she bought them the largest size made was 1.50 ctw. They are made from the ACA melee, which I think means that they are not really ACA cut. They are supposedly F/G color and VS clarity.

2) Have the same earrings custom made in a 2.50 ctw size using 10 25 point diamonds of the same quality in white gold.

3) Have inside/outside hoops like the ones I saw in Betteridge made with 20 25-point diamonds (10 in each earring) using ACA melee diamonds in F/G color and VS clarity in 8K white gold/palladium.

Now I am wondering if the hoops I just posted below have a similar number and size of diamonds as the ones I just mentioned in my option number 3. If not, I bet Whiteflash could make up the same style with the diamonds they offered me with their option #3. But maybe the hoops below are the same style hoops as the Betteridge hoops already. I am very confused right now!

Help!

Deb

howmanydiamonds.jpg

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I add also some concerns with comfort, as I find anything larger than the small size diamond huggies uncomfortable (weight pulling on the earlobes)

For that reason, I only wear small diamond hoops or larger gold hoops which are hollow. I have a medium sized pair of plain platinum hoops and they are at the upper limit of comfort for me.

I think the larger diamond hoops are beautiful, but cannot wear them without them bugging me. It would be good to test drive something of similar weight on the ear.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Deb,

I have the Roberto Coin inside-out hoops that I snagged at a great discount a few years ago when Bailey Banks and Biddle went out of business. I had been looking for hoops for several years before I found these and they were the right combination of size and price. In my search, I discovered a couple of things: 1. As several here have stated, hoops can quickly get too heavy for comfortable wear. For this reason, I would stick to white gold and pay close attention to comfort when trying them on. 2. I would not buy hoops that were not inside-out. Perhaps it is just the way my ears/piercings are shaped, but I felt like all I saw was the inside metal on the earrings that were not the inside-out style and it drove me batty.

I found hoops to be a very tricky thing to buy as there are so many variations on style, carat weight, diameter, etc. For this reason, I did not want to go custom for fear I would not like the finished product as I hated many of the pairs of hoops I tried. I agree with your observation that Roberto Coin makes many innovative designs but that hoops are not one of them and I would have hesitated to pay his mark-up but for the deal I got. However, he makes diamond hoops in a large variety of diameters and carat weights, so it may be well worth your time to try on his various styles to get a feel for what you prefer even if you eventually decide to go custom.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NovemberBride|1373638806|3481739 said:
Deb,

I have the Roberto Coin inside-out hoops that I snagged at a great discount a few years ago when Bailey Banks and Biddle went out of business. I had been looking for hoops for several years before I found these and they were the right combination of size and price. In my search, I discovered a couple of things: 1. As several here have stated, hoops can quickly get too heavy for comfortable wear. For this reason, I would stick to white gold and pay close attention to comfort when trying them on. 2. I would not buy hoops that were not inside-out. Perhaps it is just the way my ears/piercings are shaped, but I felt like all I saw was the inside metal on the earrings that were not the inside-out style and it drove me batty.

Thank you for the advice, NovemberBride. I tried on the "original" pair at Betteridge again today, the pair in platinum. A picture is attached below. As I said above, the diameter is 3/4 ". I paid attention to the weight. They do not seem heavier than the Buccellati earrings I was wearing when I went into the store and that I can wear all day. At least they are in the same general weight range.

Thank you for your observations on why you prefer the inside-out style. I have to say that after trying on this pair again, I was really in love. Although Betteridge had come down $2,000 on the price, they were still several thousands above the price that Whiteflash had quoted me for a similar size and quality.

My best friend made two purchases at Betteridge and one of them is a gorgeous ring made by Van Cleef & Arpels. I think I will be going with Whiteflash.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1373654723|3481935 said:
I tried on the "original" pair at Betteridge again today, the pair in platinum. A picture is attached below.

I didn't have time to attach the picture since the original picture didn't cooperate and I had to edit a new one. These are the "original" earrings I saw at Betteridge that interested me in diamond hoop earrings in the first place, the ones that are inside out and 3/4" in diameter.

AGBF

originalearrings.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Whiteflash will provide lovely earrings, no worries there!

Post pics of what your friend bought! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Deb,

These are all gorgeous options!!

It looks like the pair from Viggi Jewelers/First Dibs has seven diamonds on the outside and three on the inside. They are more elongated. The pair from Betteridge has six on the out and four in, making them more circular. Something to think about.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1373665340|3482030 said:
It looks like the pair from Viggi Jewelers/First Dibs has seven diamonds on the outside and three on the inside. They are more elongated. The pair from Betteridge has six on the out and four in, making them more circular. Something to think about.

Rosebloom-

You have a very good eye! Today at Betteridge I saw another pair of hoops that were more elongated. (They were not like the Viggi pair; they were yellow gold and bezel set smaller diamonds. I did get to see the shape of those hoops, which were a similar size, however.) I very much preferred the round pair. Thank you for pointing out that the placement of the stones affects the shape!

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have liked to have started a new thread shouting, "My CADs are in!" both so that a lot of posters would have paid attention to this old thread and given me their time and attention (I really feel I need it) and because I wanted to be able have a chance to say those words for once. I only recently learned what a CAD was. If there is anyone out there like me who still didn't know, it is a "Computer Assisted Design". I had seen people talking about CADs for years and years, but didn't have a CLUE! (I did all my recent designs locally! If one isn't using the 'net, one can use sketches.)

At any rate, Whiteflash e-mailed me CADs for the diamond hoop earrings they are designing for me and, of course, I am very anxious that I will miss something now that I will be sorry I missed later. Please help me.

First I want to say that I made it clear I wanted round earrings, not elongated, oval ones. However I believe the ones I first fell in love with from Betteridge (see the thread) had six and four diamonds placed. Whiteflash did five and five. What should this do to the design? Will it affect it?

Second, I requested a latch like the one custom made by a Pricescope poster, FancyDiamonds, with large (I think 35 point) stones set in them by Whiteflash because she didn't want the prongs dented*. That seemed like a good idea to me. I have large, fat earlobes that are difficult to squash into huggies. (It may be why I can tolerate large earrings!) Is this latch a poor idea for me? I was able to use the regular latch on the Betteridge 3/4" earrings, but I have no idea what a regular latch is. I know it's often a squeeze to get huggy earrings on, though.

And, finally, how do these LOOK? What do you think of the design they came up with? The earrings will be 18K white gold/palladium with a 3/4 inch diameter set with 25 point F-G color VS quality stones from an ACA melee. The total carat weight will be 5 carats.

I would really appreciate feedback. I have been buying diamonds for years now, but hoop earrings of any type are new to me. Diamond hoops are a whole new ballgame! And diamondseeker, your tutorial brought me this far; without it I never would have had a clue that this was the look I wanted. Now I just want to be sure that it works well and looks its best...in other words that it is designed well. I know I want hoops that look just like the Betteridge hoops!

*Link to the thread about FancyDiamonds' earrings with their special latch...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-aca%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%93-earrings-and-eternity-ring.171221/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-aca%E2%80%99s-%E2%80%93-earrings-and-eternity-ring.171221/page-2[/URL]

Deb/AGBF

whiteflashcad1.jpg

whiteflashcad3.jpg

whiteflashcad4.jpg

whiteflashcad5.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those are going to be pretty amazing, Deb! I might be jealous that mine don't have the inside diamonds! I didn't worry about that too much about huggies, but I'd absolutely want the inside diamonds on larger hoops.

I am not sure if this was ever answered, but yes, those are baby ACA's they use in their earrings.

I don't know if I told you this earlier, but when I decided that platinum would be too heavy, I had mine set in 18k palladium white gold since that has a lesser chance of causing allergic reaction than a nickel alloy. It costs a little more, but I didn't want to eventually give these to a daughter and find that they couldn't wear them. That is an option you can choose if you are going with white gold.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Those look great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look beautiful Deb. The only thing I might want to be sure of is that when they are on the ear if all you see are diamonds or do you see any metal in the front...Your new design puts one less diamond at the front so just want to make sure when on your ears all you see is bling from the front view.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had posted above:

AGBF|1374620482|3488763 said:
The earrings will be 18K white gold/palladium with a 3/4 inch diameter set with 25 point F-G color VS quality stones from an ACA melee. The total carat weight will be 5 carats.

diamondseeker-The only reason I asked for white gold and palladium is that you told me about it when we discussed it before I contacted Whiteflash and explained that it would help if any descendants had nickel allergies! It is something I never in a million years would have thought about. Thank you for being vigilant and making sure that I had this taken care of. I did. I had remembered your speaking about it.

Deb

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1374624633|3488816 said:
They look beautiful Deb. The only thing I might want to be sure of is that when they are on the ear if all you see are diamonds or do you see any metal in the front...Your new design puts one less diamond at the front so just want to make sure when on your ears all you see is bling from the front view.

missy-

I will contact Whiteflash about their design. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Perhaps the reason that six and four are usually placed is to be sure that the front shows only diamonds.I do not really understand how the design came about!

Deb

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, those look amazing! I have worn diamond studs 24/7 for years and years and have never been tempted by another pair. But this might just be the pair that does it!

I second asking WF if from the front view you'll see any metal. Also, some people like a more scalloped look on a shared prong setting. For these people, they would probably ask WF to pinch the prongs in towards each other a little bit more so you can see the curvy, scalloped edge more clearly. Others prefer a straight line of bling and like the prongs exactly as they are. You'll have to figure out which look you prefer.

Also since you love the original pair so much, I'd be tempted to ask WF to change to a 6/4 configuration to keep the design as close to the original as possible.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1374627616|3488855 said:
Oh my goodness, those look amazing! I have worn diamond studs 24/7 for years and years and have never been tempted by another pair. But this might just be the pair that does it!

I second asking WF if from the front view you'll see any metal. Also, some people like a more scalloped look on a shared prong setting. For these people, they would probably ask WF to pinch the prongs in towards each other a little bit more so you can see the curvy, scalloped edge more clearly. Others prefer a straight line of bling and like the prongs exactly as they are. You'll have to figure out which look you prefer.

Also since you love the original pair so much, I'd be tempted to ask WF to change to a 6/4 configuration to keep the design as close to the original as possible.

Rosebloom, I thank you for the compliment on saying that these might sway you from wearing your studs every day!

I will contact Whiteflash about the metal and, I think, ask that they switch to a six and four diamond configuration.

I would like to see a more scalloped design and one like this for comparison purposes. I went to Google Images. I found two pictures of the usual Whiteflash shared prong earrings which I think is what these should look like (and I certainly will request these look like) when finished. I was told by e-mail that the CAD renderings are heavier in the metal than the real thing will be, especially the prongs.
Nonetheless, if I can get more scalloped than the usual Whiteflash shared prong earrings, I want to know what my options are!!!

Attached are two photos of what the usual Whiteflash shared prong earrings look like when finished-i.e. when not in CAD form. Please tell me if you have photos of something more scalloped looking!!!

Deb
:lickout:

shared-prong-diamond-hoop-earrings-in-18k-white-gold_gi_6473-100_f.jpg

sharedprongdiamondhoopearrings.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1374627616|3488855 said:
Also, some people like a more scalloped look on a shared prong setting. For these people, they would probably ask WF to pinch the prongs in towards each other a little bit more so you can see the curvy, scalloped edge more clearly. Others prefer a straight line of bling and like the prongs exactly as they are. You'll have to figure out which look you prefer.

Rosebloom, please, help me to understand the "scalloped" thing. I like as little metal as possible which I said-in writing-to Whiteflash before they started to design anything.

The solitaire I have happily worn for years (which is currently consigned but may be brought back into my life since I don't think I can sell enough jewelry to upgrade to a 3-carat) has been called, "an invisible solitaire". The setting is made to make the diamond appear to be floating. the prongs are negligible and the band is like a thread. I am posting a picture so that you can see what my taste in jewelry is like!

Deb

agbfinvisiblesolitaire.png

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can I achieve more of this scalloped look? These are 14 diamonds totaling 3.54 carats total weight so they aren't enormously larger than my stones (although bigger). Are the prongs different? There are only 7 of them in each earring, but why couldn't there be 10? Why must they be exactly that large to have that look?

Deb

_187.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results