shape
carat
color
clarity

Pro Cutter chipped our stone!!! - Help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joserob

Rough_Rock
We decided to have our original stone re-set from our original setting to a cocktail style setting. The diamond we bought was: (GIA)
5.60x5.44x3.94
Weight - 1.00 carat
72.4% Depth
72% Table
Med to Thick - Girdle
Culet - None
Polish & Symmetry - Good
VVS2
D
Faint - Flourescence
Addl Comments: Extra facet is not shown

My fiance wanted to keep the original stone. We found out today that the manufacturer doing the new setting chipped our stone. The jeweler scrambled and found a new stone. GIA:
5.61x5.40x4.04
Weight - 1.00carat
74.8% Depth
75% Table
Extremely thin to Very Thick - Girdle
Culet - None
Polish & Symmetry - Good
VVS2
D
Faint - None
Addl comments : NONE

WHAT SHOULD WE DO? I''m going nuts and I''m trying to make sense of this nightmare now.
Is the second diamond better? The girdle of the second stone seems to be less than optimal. I feel I have no choice. But what should we do? Thank you for the anticipated sage advice. Not to mention that we are paying $2,500 more for the new setting.
32.gif
32.gif
Should we ask for our money back and go get a ring from the blue and white box store?

Any help would be appreciated. I''m sure that this has happened before to somebody out there.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. you might be able to claim on your own insurance
2. it is unreasonable to ask for someone else to pay for damage to damage prone diamonds unless they sold it to you
3. most jewellers will replace a stone at ''cost'' in this situation
4. Whatever you do ask for the tips to be polished off this time.
5. I usaually like princess to be slightly thick or thick on the girdle.

Sorry you had bad luck, but since princess became popular, there will be millions of people for hundreds of years hence in the same boat with you.
Polish off the corners folks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 3:11:10 PM
Author:joserob
We decided to have our original stone re-set from our original setting to a cocktail style setting. The diamond we bought was: (GIA)
5.60x5.44x3.94
Weight - 1.00 carat
72.4% Depth
72% Table
Med to Thick - Girdle
Culet - None
Polish & Symmetry - Good
VVS2
D
Faint - Flourescence
Addl Comments: Extra facet is not shown

My fiance wanted to keep the original stone. We found out today that the manufacturer doing the new setting chipped our stone. The jeweler scrambled and found a new stone. GIA:
5.61x5.40x4.04
Weight - 1.00carat
74.8% Depth
75% Table
Extremely thin to Very Thick - Girdle
Culet - None
Polish & Symmetry - Good
VVS2
D
Faint - None
Addl comments : NONE

WHAT SHOULD WE DO? I''m going nuts and I''m trying to make sense of this nightmare now.
Is the second diamond better? The girdle of the second stone seems to be less than optimal. I feel I have no choice. But what should we do? Thank you for the anticipated sage advice. Not to mention that we are paying $2,500 more for the new setting.
32.gif
32.gif
Should we ask for our money back and go get a ring from the blue and white box store?

Any help would be appreciated. I''m sure that this has happened before to somebody out there.

The replacement stone has ex thin girdle and varies to Very Thick?

Paying $ 2500.00 more for what? Damaging your stone?

I''d advise you to have ANY princess cut chamfered - regardless of who is setting it. Plus if you have Chibb Insurance,m they would cover the loss in MONEY ( even if the closest replacement would cost more. )

So I hope you had it covered. If so, let the insurance company put up with the stress of settling with the jeweler. That piece of mind to me is priceless!

joserob

Rough_Rock
Yes, the replacement stone has a girdle of - Extremely thin to Very thick.

The jeweler is saying that he has gone above and beyond finding a replacement ("which was very hard to do", so he says). I would have no idea if this is a comparable stone or better. That''s why I included the cert information on top.

And just to clarify, we are paying $2,500 for the new setting.

He also never asked us what we wanted done. He went ahead and bought the replacement stone so that it could be set by his setter in trying to mitigate what was done to our stone. Of course, my fiance''s sentimental value is priceless so I''m not sure that there is going to be a "fair" solution to this problem.

Just want to know if he is being honest in what he is saying. Is this a comparable or better stone?

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate the guidance to those of us that have little know how about the diamond business. This site is genius.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2005 6:07:54 PM
Author: joserob

Yes, the replacement stone has a girdle of - Extremely thin to Very thick.

The jeweler is saying that he has gone above and beyond finding a replacement (''which was very hard to do'', so he says). I would have no idea if this is a comparable stone or better. That''s why I included the cert information on top.

And just to clarify, we are paying $2,500 for the new setting.

He also never asked us what we wanted done. He went ahead and bought the replacement stone so that it could be set by his setter in trying to mitigate what was done to our stone. Of course, my fiance''s sentimental value is priceless so I''m not sure that there is going to be a ''fair'' solution to this problem.

Just want to know if he is being honest in what he is saying. Is this a comparable or better stone?

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate the guidance to those of us that have little know how about the diamond business. This site is genius.

Comparable? Can''t tell by just the numbers as to the light return.

I would suggest you consult an appraiser/gemologist in your area, and let him compare the stones If they have experience with determining this, that would give you the most accurate assessment.

Giving an opinion for you to rely on without the stones actually being seen, wouldn''t be in anyone''s best interest.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results