shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess with Very Unusual Sarin Numbers...Buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Johnny Mo

Rough_Rock
I’m considering a 1.5ct E VS1 Princess with some very unusual Sarin numbers incl a crown height % of 13.9%!

L/W:1.01
total dep.mm 4.51, 74.5%
table: 4.29, 4.29, 4.29, 70.9%
girdle: 2.6%
crown angle: 45.6, 45.2, 46.4
crown height, mm: 0.84, 0.83, 0.88, 13.9%
pavilion depth: 0.51, 0.54, 0.64, 58%

GIA
girdle medium to slightly thick
no culet
polish VG
symmetry VG
no fluorescence

Buyer doesn''t have a GemEx Brilliance Scope available. I''m located in Boston, Mass, and don''t know of anyone local who has one either.

Stone apparently was instantly sold 2 weeks ago when it went on the market, but was returned- I don''t know why.

I am about to go look at it next week. Do the experts have any comments based on what I''ve got so far? Offering price is $10200, rap quoted as 12750.

Thanks,
Johnny Mo
confused.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet those numbers are unusual ! There are not too many this well cut
1.gif

Not sure what the story with the "almost sale" is, but it happens...

How does the Bscope look like ?

DanielTahar

Rough_Rock
In my oppinion, it's too expensive.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a 1.5 carat though. Is it the length to width ratio you are looking at DanielTahar.

Johnny Mo

Rough_Rock
That's the problem, I don't have a BScope nearby, unless someone knows of an appraiser in the Boston area with one.
I want to make sure it's a visual performer...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure Marti Haske cannot do this for you ? His lab is nearby (see the list of appraisers right here)... No idea about the other name listed. Instead of Bscope, they could suggest another tool with simmilar output, maybe and Idealscope or simmulation software. Surely there is some solution.

However, what would happen if your stone does NOT deliver a great light return score? It would probably take quite a few such "trial and error" exercises until you may end up with s sparkly princess of just give up. How about ordering a stone from a seller already selecting his princess cuts using tests for optical performance... they would have many more stones readily available to choose from, in theory.

Your princess cut does have promissing proportions, and this would be enough if one does NOT insist on light return. As far as I understand, this is not your case ...

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiosity, do you have the length/width measurements?

Johnny Mo

Rough_Rock
Sure do, 6.14 x 6.05.

Anybody have the opinion that the BScope is really just a 'marketing tool', as I hear from some informed people? Is human-perceived brilliance different?
Being a science guy myself, I'm curious what the expert gemologists think.

JM
21.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We demonstrate on a daily basis to our clients who make the trip how BrillianceScope results correlate to human eye observation and especially with princess cuts. Time and time again, I can tell you at this point we've had hundreds make the correllation. Yes there are some points where it can be difficult to distinguish minor differences (like between a stone with 2/3 vs 3/3 vh's) but for determining total overall brilliance in direct light conditions (encompassing all aspects brilliance/fire/scintillation) we've had many make the correlation who can testify.

Regarding the princess cut you're referring to. A 13% crown height is a BIG GREEN FLAG but the equation is not complete without knowing what pavilion that crown is being coupled to. This may be a stone worth pursuing.

Peace,

mm

Rough_Rock
Why is a 13%crown height a "Big green flag" when the AGA cut charts rate 13% as 2b- 3A ie, low international fine trade, high US domestic average?

cheers
mm

Johnny Mo

Rough_Rock
Rhino

The Sarin report gave me this pavilion:

pavilion depth: 0.51, 0.54, 0.64, 58%

What do you think of that combined with a 14% crown angle? I trust your feelings about these princess babies...

Johnny Mo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results