shape
carat
color
clarity

princess with a halo turned 45 degrees

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I''ve been reading posts here for a few months now (somewhat obsessively i should say
face23.gif
) trying to figure out exactly what it is that I want in an engagement ring, but this is my first post. It will be a year next month that I''ve been with my boyfriend and we''ve been talking about getting married for a while. He told me recently that he''s planning on asking me by the end of next season. He said it when it was techinically still spring, but it felt like summer, so he could mean anywhere between end of summer and end of fall.

He wants everything to be a surprise, but is letting me tell/show him what I would like. I really wish I could be there when he talks to a jewler about it since it''s going to be custom and I want to be sure that everything is perfect, but he won''t have it. Men and their secrets...
emsad.gif
sigh.

So, I figured if I can''t be there, I could at least show him some pictures that he could (hopefully!) take with him when he goes.

I think I''ve narrowed down what I want to two choices. I know that I want a princess cut center between .5 and .75 ct and I want it to be turned 45 degrees so that the points are n,e,s,w. I also want it to have a thin halo and a thin diamond band. I absolutely love firegoddess''s ring
30.gif
(I can''t seem to get the picture pasting to work, but if you go to this link, it''s her avatar https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/firegoddess-did-you-see-your-wax.26944/= ) and I would love to have mine in that style.

I can''t decide however if I want the center stone to be prong set or bezel set. I know that I do want to be able to wear a wedding band flat agains the ring, however, so it will need to be cathedral set.

Has anyone ever seen a ring like this? Can someone make a picture of something like this if not? I tried to do it myself in photoshop, but it was really awful.

Thanks!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Edited to add:
WELCOME!!! sorry ... i got carried away with visualizing that & it hit too close to home to my pre-fixed-up e-ring setting (now affectionately known as Ol' Stabby)

Knowing what I know now about "pointy parts" getting in the way & catching on stuff & generally driving me crazy ... I sincerely URGE you to try something like that on somewhere and really, really, really think about how practical something so "pointy" & high-set is going to be in the long run.

Are you used to wearing high, pointy rings now? If not, its probably hard to imagine how much a ring could impact your day to day habits & comfort.

Firegoddesses ring is GORGEOUS - but that just has one "point" ... Jasmine's marquise halo has two (East West) ... yours will have four! Four chances for every movement to get caught up in something, bang on something.

Just a thought.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''d love to be able to go somewhere and try it on, but that''s the problem. No one seems to hav anything even close to it! Everyone tells me that they can turn any setting 45 degrees to have the princess cut set like that, but no one has it available to try on. Any ideas of how I could see something similar in person?
33.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a non-haloed princess set that way, which is sometimes called "star-set". Peter Storm, a designer who LOVES starset princesses & has a whole line of settings called "Naked Diamonds" doesn''t, to my best recollection, even set *his* CENTER STONES that way ...

My hunch is that the design isn''t done often *for a reason*.

starsetprincess.jpg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend of mine had a princess turned 45 degrees set VERY low and her wedding band was a "V" with tiny diamonds that fit against the bottom half. Almost like a halo, but not quite. It was an interesting look, but she just changed out her setting to one where the princess is set the regular way or else I would try to get a photo for you.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I just came up with a random idea! How about if you made your halo not entirely symmetrical, so that the halo itself sort of rounded out the corners so the overall head was more circular shaped? You could do this fairly easily (I would think) but using smaller sized diamonds closer to the corners of the princess and larger ones near the middle of the flat sides! Here is VERY VERY CRUDE mockup of what I''m talking about, although I would imagine it would be easier/better to do with like 5 tiny stones on each side of the princess or something instead of the fairly large ones here, but you get the general idea.

starsetprincesshalo.JPG

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Albi, that''s beautiful!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 2:34:58 PM
Author: FacetFire
Albi, that''s beautiful!
Hehe, thanks! I was proud of myself for coming up with that!
3.gif

Robbie - what do you think?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Albi, I LOVE that concept!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
albicocca- That is really pretty, but the thing that i love (well, i think i love it since i''ve never really seen it like this) about the halo is how it accents the unique setting of the princess, so I would want it to be the same shape w/ no space between the halo and the center stone.

deejay- Did your friend change the setting because it was getting caught on things?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well gosh, thankya.......thankyaverrymuch.
1.gif
Attached is my avatar picture for reference.

I do think your design is doable and will look very pretty!! Everyone's comments about the princess being set on point are valid, but that doesn't stop people from setting princess stones that way! I think the most issues you are going to likely have will be with the north and south points. However, if the metal of the halo is slightly, and I mean slightly rounded (the metal under my pear tip halo is slightly rounded, not enough to change the look of the ring, but enough so the setting isn't completely pointy) this can help a great deal. Think putting your hand into and out of a sleeve, or into your jeans pocket. Those are the only times I see the points being an issue. But if you have a ring like that, you tend to ingrain into your brain that you tuck your hand in or are aware of the tip, and after wearing the ring a few days it becomes second nature and you don't even think about it.
1.gif

ETA: Regarding the stone being prong or bezel set...I emphatically vote prong. I tried the bezel thing and I didn't like it. I think it makes the stone seem much smaller. Some people think it makes the stone look bigger. But I'm not one of those people.
2.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Albi and Deco, I think Albi's version is fantastic, and Deco is probably right on about why that setting isn't very popular. It seems like more of a liabililty. It's a fabulous idea, but it doesn't seem likely, or if it was made, maybe not a very manageable setting. If it were me, I'd go for Albi's way, since it seems a little more do-able. But good luck!

ETA: I just wanted to add that I've poked my poor dog in the nose at least twice with the corner of my rec. radiant, I can only imagine the damage I'd do with a starset!
28.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, take a look at the profile of this Meno collection ring from Danhov. If you have the halo done this way, the stone does not have to be set THAT much higher than its actual depth, and a ring will sit flush. I think the key for this sort of setting is that the lower, the better!

ETA: I do want to reiterate though, that with this style ring, the delicate shank, the stone set on point, if you go this route - this IS a ring that you will have to be careful with to a certain degree. You can't just go flinging it around.
2.gif

danhovmqhalo1.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Sigh. I wish that this ring was somewhere so that I could physically try it on. Thanks for all your help guys!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2006 2:43:58 PM
Author: robbie3982

deejay- Did your friend change the setting because it was getting caught on things?

It was set very very low so I don''t think it got caught on things. I think she changed it becuase it was set in yellow gold and the band was very thick and she just wanted a different look.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Try to imagine this ring as a solitarie and not a three stone.....but it''s similar. (Ritani endless love 3-stone asscher, set star-set/east-west-ish!)

ritasscherew.jpg

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I love the idea of the princess cut being turned on the side. When I was picking out my rings one of the choices was a like that but it was set in the middle of diamonds.With it turned it will complement the hand better than square...JMO!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I had some fun in photoshop today:

created-ring.jpg

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Robbie, that''s lovely. I don''t see why a custom ring like this could not be made.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results